The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Do you ever share the secrets with "non-spectators" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
If you are hired to do magic for a mall, hospital, elderly home, ect....and you perform on a regular basis, do you ever share your secrets with the staff or admin? And what if you perform or travel with another performer who is not a magician, like a comedian, for example. Do you ever share your secrets with them? How about friends and family? Are there people in which it's okay to let your guard down and share the secrets of magic? Or do any of the above mentioned people (and others, if there are any) stay out of the know, even if they ask? Just curious what others think.

I'm the kind of person who's very guarded. My wife is probably the only person who ever gets to know my secrets. But I'm not sure if I should let other people in the loop?
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Just thought of something I've done in the past. Used fake explanations and passed them off as quite plausible.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I send them to mallusionist.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Secrets are only shared with members of the fraternity, and it they belong to someone else, they have to pay to get them just like I do.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 19:57, Decibel33 wrote:
If you are hired to do magic for a mall, hospital, elderly home, ect....and you perform on a regular basis, do you ever share your secrets with the staff or admin? And what if you perform or travel with another performer who is not a magician, like a comedian, for example. Do you ever share your secrets with them? How about friends and family? Are there people in which it's okay to let your guard down and share the secrets of magic? Or do any of the above mentioned people (and others, if there are any) stay out of the know, even if they ask? Just curious what others think.

I'm the kind of person who's very guarded. My wife is probably the only person who ever gets to know my secrets. But I'm not sure if I should let other people in the loop?

Hi
I don't even tell my wife ! My daughter says, she hate's magic, cause it drives her crazy not being able to figure the secret out. My brother still says a trick I did over 40 years ago still drives him nut's! I'm glad it made such an impression on him, and he couldn't even pay me to tell him the secret.

Long story short, I got this guy into magic, who was didn't need the money. Here he did the coin in the bottle for his buddies. They all put there money together and paid him for the secret! This was over 15 years ago,and it still burns me up that I helped him out!
Now when people ask me how to get into magic , I just tell them to get a magic book.Most people that ask, don't have enough drive to even read a book.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
rusty151
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach
18 Posts

Profile of rusty151
As a Boy Scout Leader (ret) When I did magic for the troop. one or two of the members would hound me for weeks on how to do tricks I would then loan them the book "Magic for Boyscouts" If then after reading the book they could show me a few tricks from it done well, I would help them to further theirself in Magic.
believe it or not in 12 years as a troop leader I have had only 6 boys that took the time to learn a trick from the book, these I helped further along, but only 1 of them took it further than a simply hobbie and stayed with magic. I still see him today when we have time and we discuss tricks and ideas we have been good friends for the last 30years.As Ralph007 said most wont even read the book but if some one does that doesn't mean to tell everything but you should help him along the way.
If he turns out the he has the same intrest as you do you may have a life long friend. But have them read the book first.
Rusty
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I don't even share the "real work" with most other magicians or mentalists. While I certainly believe in "magicians helping magicians" I tend to be very circumspect about what I share and with whom I share it; i.e., only what I feel the other performer has demonstrated both their readiness and need to know and then only when I have confidence in their discretion re: with whom they share information.
Dick Christian
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 12:57, Dick Christian wrote:
I don't even share the "real work" with most other magicians or mentalists. While I certainly believe in "magicians helping magicians" I tend to be very circumspect about what I share and with whom I share it; i.e., only what I feel the other performer has demonstrated both their readiness and need to know and then only when I have confidence in their discretion re: with whom they share information.

I think that is dead on solid thinking.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Ditto!
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."