The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: What do you guys think about eBay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Connor J. Martin
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Connor J. Martin
Okay so I think eBay is pretty cool. But some people say that it's wrong to resell DVD's that you purchased because it's kind of like stealing from the creator. Because if someone buys their DVD from you then that's one less sale that the creator gets.

First of all I'm not sure if I agree with that logic. Secondly eBay is great for reasons like this. I was searching for rare magic books and DVD and found them on eBay.

Now this is a DVD that was only produced for like a week and they stopped selling it for some B.S. reason but there is no way to get your hands on one of these unless someone who already owns it decides to sell it like this guy is.

So, do you guys agree with the idea that eBay takes from creators or do you think only good things can come of it. Or are you somewhere in between? This might not be the correct forum but it's the just about the only one I use and I would like your guys opinions.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
I found this thread to be of help when I had the same question-

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=177
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
The whole stealing from creators idea can be applied to anything media based....books, movies, etc. However it's my understanding that the first sale doctrine established my the judiciary does hold for anything manufactured initially with the permission of those with the rights. So I personally have nothing at all against buying things on Ebay.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
As long as you are selling the original media or product and not a copy, there is nothing legally or ethically wrong with doing so. It is unethical IMO to make a copy for yourself of a DVD and then sell the original.

Larry
Steve Rodman
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Steve Rodman
You bought it, you own it, you can sell it.
ferrari
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ferrari
I like ebay a lot works great for find rare magic but I also like magic club swap meets cause it only magicians there
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I agree you should not copy to re-sell. That would be wrong. As far as actually selling the dvd or book? Well as long as there are places like ebay, swap-meets and garage sales I guess this is dealing in second hand items. Even Goodwills and Salvation Armys are full of these items albeit not on magic---but sometimes you do find these items. And then you have The Magic Castle swap-meet where I've picked up great items---books dvd's effects etc. So if you rightfully own it and did not copy it I guess IMO it's ok.

Good magic to all,

Eric
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Quote:
On 2009-04-20 12:13, Steve Rodman wrote:
You bought it, you own it, you can sell it.

exactly, I've never felt guilty about selling stuff on ebay because they're always the original books and dvds.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
EBay is like anything else, buyer beware, do your research on the seller and the item.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Earlier this week in another section of the Café, a member expressed the opinion that anyone who performed magic that they learned from a library book was being unethical by violating the rights of the creator of the effects.

Many years ago I checked out "The Complete Illustrated Book of Card Magic" by Walter Gibson from the public library. Subsequently I used material I had learned from that book in paying gigs. Do any members feel that I behaved unethically in doing this?

I have also purchased second-hand books and DVDs from eBay and elsewhere. I used material from these sources in paying gigs as well. Do any members feel I behaved unethically in these instances?

Randwill
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2009-06-20 13:15, Randwill wrote:
Earlier this week in another section of the Café, a member expressed the opinion that anyone who performed magic that they learned from a library book was being unethical by violating the rights of the creator of the effects.

Many years ago I checked out "The Complete Illustrated Book of Card Magic" by Walter Gibson from the public library. Subsequently I used material I had learned from that book in paying gigs. Do any members feel that I behaved unethically in doing this?

I have also purchased second-hand books and DVDs from eBay and elsewhere. I used material from these sources in paying gigs as well. Do any members feel I behaved unethically in these instances?

Randwill

Did you return the book to the library?

Tony
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 23:25, Connor J. Martin wrote:

...So, do you guys agree with the idea that eBay takes from creators or do you think only good things can come of it. Or are you somewhere in between? This might not be the correct forum but it's the just about the only one I use and I would like your guys opinions.

As the posts above point out, it is not wrong to sell on eBay that which you have purchased and not copied. However:

your concern about "eBay taking from creators" is misplaced. eBay is just the messenger, the people selling would be the culprit if indeed there is one.

Bob
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
My only beef with eBay is that they (and indirectly through PayPal) take a reasonable financial cut out of every transaction. If anyone is the winner it is eBay.

If people are happy with the idea of you bought it, you own it and therefore you can resell it then why don't we have a magical auction site where any fees are used to further the art of magic. It could be run by some major magical organisation such as the IBM, SAM or even the Magic Castle. I don't think it should be run by a profit making company.

This would need to be a site well publicised amongst the magical community which makes it much more attractive to resell magic on it rather than eBay.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Interesting. I have just taken a look at magicaution.com. It certainly has plenty of auctions to make it a worthy resource.

I am not so sure about the bidding by email method though. It seems a bit clumsy compared to modern auction sites such as eBay. I will have to take a more thorough look at the workings of the site.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-07-12 10:42, (a)ndy wrote:
My only beef with eBay is that they (and indirectly through PayPal) take a reasonable financial cut out of every transaction. If anyone is the winner it is eBay.

If people are happy with the idea of you bought it, you own it and therefore you can resell it then why don't we have a magical auction site where any fees are used to further the art of magic. It could be run by some major magical organisation such as the IBM, SAM or even the Magic Castle. I don't think it should be run by a profit making company.

This would need to be a site well publicised amongst the magical community which makes it much more attractive to resell magic on it rather than eBay.

Wake up! This is called "capitalism." It's part of a free market system. They pay for the servers. They pay for the software. They pay for the internet connection. Something has to foot the bill. Have you ever bought anything from one of those really big auctions, such as the recent Les Smith auction or the Jay Marshall auctions? They add 20% to the final price. That's the auctioneer's cut. Is it excessive? I don't think so. The auctioneer pays for the printing of the catalog, although they are sold at retail, they research the items, and they do the actual conduct of the auction. A good auctioneer can help an estate realize a huge amount of money.

BTW, most club auctions add 10%. That's more than eBay. If you have a club auction, you might have a maximum of 100 people in the room. On eBay, your bidder field may be 10 or even 100 times that.

If you don't like eBay, don't use it. I would estimate that about 25% of the cups in my collection were eBay purchases. I'm completely satisfied with them.

If there is ever a decent online magic specialty auction, I'll go there. I've been to a half dozen or so. None compare to eBay.

Example: I went to the one that was posted earlier just before I edited this. There were three sets of cups and balls on the site. NO PHOTOS!!!! Don't these guys want to sell this stuff? On eBay there are more than 300 sets of cups and balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Although the orignal question has been covered in some detail on the prior mentioned post, it is a fascinating topic.

What is and isn't legal is well established. What is unique relates to when a "secret" is being sold. The original owner (in theory) keeps a copy of the secret in their head, while selling the DVD and the secret to a second person.

It is an ethical question. After all the magician's code is not based on what is legal, so there is a precedence for the magic community to rise to a level above what is just legal. I am not aware of non-disclosure agreements being part of magic transactions, though I imagine in certain parts of the field they are.

That said, I wonder if reselling a single unduplicated used copy is a widespread problem that significantly impacts the creator. Duplication and selling of illegal copies surely must have a much bigger impact. Maybe I am wrong. How many magicians would part with a book if they had found it useful? I wouldn't. If they do sell something is it because they don't plan to perform it anymore or never did? Does that make it ethical to do so?

Is it ethical to resell a novel after you have enjoyed the story? Is it ethical to resell a math book after you have learned to multiply or a cook book after you have learned the recipe? Why is magic unique. Is it because "the secret" represents in some cases up to 90% of what you are buying?

I suspect most magician's would find nothing wrong with buying an old used magic book at a used book store. They may even congratulate themselves on a great find. Those same magician's would find re-selling a one-trick pamphlet on ebay unethical. It is a complicated question with no simple answer.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-07-12 10:42, (a)ndy wrote:

So,

Your point is that eBay should be charital and work for free?

Not even strippers work for free, buddy.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
I agree with TheRaven that it is an ethical and not a legal question.

I also think it is ridiculous for anyone to publish a book or CD and then pretend that it is a secret. You published it! Publishing is the opposite of keeping a secret.

If you really must sell your secret then license it and include a non-disclosure agreement.
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com