The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Exposure quote (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:

Have you seriously seen another magicians performance ruined by exposure. Please explain a scenario in which this would happen. I beleive you are totally over reacting. If exposure is as bad as you seem to think it is then there should be hundreds of documented occurances that you could give as examples. But you and I both know it just doesn't happen.

I did not get a chance to mention this before the thread this quote appeared was locked...

Two examples of my own:

I performed at an event for teens (13-15) and had them all chanting THUMB TIP! THUMB TIP! THUMB TIP!THUMB TIP! as soon as I produced a silk...and I wasn;t even using a thumb tip. They had seen a magician before who tipped the gaff and gave them away as prizes.

I performed a rabbit production and had this exact line "I KNOW HOW YOU DID IT - IT'S THE REFLECTION OF LIGHT FROM A MIRROR!" shouted on four different occasions ruining the the routine. A 'science performer' had exposed the mirror box as a lesson on reflection and TOLD kid's to heckle because "magicians hate it when you do that!"
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
I don't get to perform too much, but occasionally people say "I know you did a double lift!" regardless whether I really did it. And it does get annoying.

Quote:
I performed at an event for teens (13-15) and had them all chanting THUMB TIP! THUMB TIP! THUMB TIP!THUMB TIP! as soon as I produced a silk...and I wasn;t even using a thumb tip.

Ouch - that doesn't sound very pleasant. Wonder how you managed to resolve this situation?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I pretended to pull my thumb off and then asked to the kids to "pull my thumbs, now pull my finger...err...never mind!"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 03:59, chias wrote:

Quote:
I performed at an event for teens (13-15) and had them all chanting THUMB TIP! THUMB TIP! THUMB TIP!THUMB TIP! as soon as I produced a silk...and I wasn;t even using a thumb tip.

Ouch - that doesn't sound very pleasant. Wonder how you managed to resolve this situation?

I've started to carry around this super big bright purple thumb that I've had for years and years. I think it came from an old game called Thumb Fun. Anyway, if I'm doing the vanishing hanky in one of my kids shows and they start to scream out thumb tip I secretly slip it on and say "Oh, you know about those plastic thumbs then?" you then show your big purple thumb and continue saying 'We shan't be using it this time them" as you take it off and put it in your pocket (allowing you to slip on your real thumb tip)
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Payne, that's great and funny!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-