The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: A question of ethics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
What do you all think of this?

http://www.doriangrey.ca/Dorian%20Grey/S......mes.html

This person is hosting a "something wicked this way comes" show which he touts as one of the most original and unique shows you are likely to see, when it's concept and ver batim title clearly is not origianl.

shameless?
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
976 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Now that's just... can't find any words
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I will sort out the burning torches, you check which way the monster is running!
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I'll hitch up the horses and we can head him off at the pass, salsa.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
OK:
I understand being concerned. How dare he use the title of the 1983 movie which is an adaptation of Ray Bradbury's 1962 novel, entitled after a Shakespearian quote from MacBeth?

Or are you upset because Derren Brown is using the same phrase as the title of his show? Although I agree that it is not the best thing to name your show the same as another performer's as it could cause confusion, but as MR. Brown performs in the UK, and Mr. Grey performs in Canada, there is small chance of that happening.

It is probably not the best thing to do, but there is nothing illegal with using s populsr phrase that's been around for at least 400 years. No real confusion will result from this either. Mr. Grey and Mr. Brown will not be confused with each other.

No, I don't condone copying the name of another's show, but in this case, the name is not original with either. Although I do think it is clever. I thought it was clever when they used it for the Harry Potter movie as well. Perhaps it is just a little overplayed right now. How can Mr.s Grey and Brown hope to compete with Mr. Potter. And What if he gets upset?

Tony
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Quote:
On 2007-01-08 07:42, RickDangerous wrote:
Now that's just... can't find any words

That's okay. salsa_dancer will say it for you.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I think it would be naive of any of you to suggest that the title is coincidental. Personally, I think it is wrong. I am very well aware of the heritage and provenance of the title.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I think use of another's title is asking for trouble...

just my opinion...
xxx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I do not think that Derren Brown was trying to ride the coattails of the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. But as you say, it is suspicious. Less than a year seperates the common usage of that phrase.

Tony
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
But tony, do you think it's "right" to knowingly use the same branding as another performer, who performs in the same genre? I'm not sending lawyers - just asking if you think it is the right thing to do.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Of course it's not right...

IMHO
xxx
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
This show seems to be connected to the Student Union at the University of Toronto. It's billed as a charity show, tickets at $8. (Canadian). All proceeds go to charity, although no actual charity is named.

Perhaps he has spoken with Derren Brown to ask if he minds.

- entity
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Then it would be ethical, right, and proper to state that permission has been sought, granted, and acknowledged. And it would be legally sound, too.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
And what is the likelyhood that such an action has taken place?
xxx
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I think the chances are slim.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Maybe derren took it from dorian?

;)
xxx
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I should have thought of that, nice one jeff.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Very likely nothing malicious was intended...

After all it is a title...

"Trick of the mind"
"Theater of the mind"
"Dreams and Nightmares"
"Something wicked..."
etc...

all these titles have been used in the past...

If the content is the same, now that would be the real issue...
xxx
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I sent him a couple of emails, but they were returned by the server (a technical thing of some sort, could be on my or his end). Also I can't find a telephone number anywhere.

I see no reason to make definate contact though, since I am just posing the discussion based on the work of another, as we all have done at one stage or other. I'm just interested to see what y'all think.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I would not do it myself.

But then again, was it ethical for Derren Brown to use it? It was a genious of a marketing move though. WB had just spent millions repopularizing the phrase on the posters for the movie.

In effect, WB repopularized it with Harry Potter in 2004, Derren Brown capitalized on the revitalized phrase and used it as the title for his 2005/6 show, Dorian Grey used it for his 2007 show.