The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Prices - Collection VS Private (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
Why is it when a dealer sells something "äcquired from a private collection", they're selling something USED for almost, if not, the same original price?

A good example is, I see Hocus Pocus today is selling a used set of Hip Hop Magicians for $350. Wolf Magic sells them new at $375.

If I tried to sell a used Hip Hop Magician on ebay, I'd be lucky if I could get $200 - $250.

If I tried to sell the same H.H.M. at a magic auction, it'd be more like $50 - $100.

So, what's the reason for all these over-inflated prices, on used items, from these money-grabbing dealers?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I am not going to do it. But I really believe that you are going to get beat up for making a post such as this.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Well you see these "Money Grabbing" dealers as you refer to have something, it's called a Reputation. I've purchased both New and Used from Paul, with the upmost confidence that I will recieve exactly what he has it advertised as. Ebay sellers, well they're a whole different breed. I took me 4 years to build up a reputation, and if something goes wrong with an auction or a customer is not happy I fix it as quickly as I can. Most know because we are a low staff facility it may take me a bit, but I always come through for them. Now if I advertise something with dents, dings, mars etc and the customer says hey this has a dent in it, well, that's what reading a description is for.

Others on America's big auction site, for example John M. puts up explicit ads, with awesome history behind each prop. John recently recieved his first neg. feedback in all his transactions, one which I would say is complete ******** as John is one of the fairest, easy going people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing or dealing with for the past 5 years.

If people in the community don't know you, this will play into the action on your auctions, if the prop is not readily in demand or is easy to get, you may not get the price you're hoping. But rest assured, if the product goes out ofproduction you could probally double your money on some props from Wolf magic and a lot of other props that are long off the market.

I have spent YEARS looking for single items, it gets to the point where you just pay whatever someone asks for somethings. Bill Palmer and I both collect cups religiously, I think Bill and I are on the same page when I say our time is valuable and sometimes its just easier and better for us to pay an asking price. Something is only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

These dealers are not Money-Grabbers they are business people in BUSINESS to make a living, people like yourself fail to realize this it seems. A lot of the used Estate Items Paul gets I'm sure are on consignment, so mark up is expected, to what degree is entirely up to the business person and the person that is willing to pay for it.

BTW, if you want to sell your HHM, I'll give ya 200.00 for them.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
Sorry, mine are slightly used and acquired from a private collection (my own), so I'm asking the same price as HP.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
We are all free to purchase what we wish,
and buy those items how we wish,
and from whom we wish.

When there is a prop I want,
I look to see where I can find it, if at all,
then consider everything including,
dealer reputation, cost vs rarity, condition, extras like shipping, etc.

There is one dealer who, when he knew I was in a tight spot,
sent me a $10 item cross-country FedEx Overnight, at no cost to me,
and on his own without my asking.
He saved my bacon!
He also has a loyal customer for life.

Another dealer knows my style so well,
he'll call me if he gets in something he knows I'd want,
and has found me several rare books, impossible to find.
His customer service assures I'll always use his company.

One time I purchased a piece of absolute garbage,
I was also charged excessive "handling" as well as shipping,
and it took three-weeks for this expensive, unworkable junk to get to me.
When I called the dealer about my displeasure, he said:
"Oh, well, there's 100 other idiots who'll buy from me, I don't need you!"
No matter what this dealer carries,
or how much I want it,
I will never buy from them again.

If I use an auction service (such as eBay etc.)
or if I go to a "collectable and used magic dealer",
I might know how reliable or honest they are,
or I might not,
and I may have to take a punch or two.

Whatever, I choose where and how I spend my money.
I am glad there are reputable dealers who care about magic,
and care about their customers.

A professional dealer also has very real concerns of overhead,
and cost of doing business, and rotation of stock, taxes, employees, etc.
Magic is a niche market, and no dealer gets filthy rich selling props.

I'm not here to bash or flame you, I love a bargain too!
But, I wanted to give another perspective and opinion,
form another buyer's viewpoint.

Magically,
Walt