The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Making an "In a Flash" deck :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well my In a Flash deck has seen better days. I want to make a new one. And this isn't something I would be looking foward to. I think I cut myself making the one I have now. A friend showed me how this trick was done and how to make the gimmick. Well I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make it faster.

All I want is your thoughts on how to make the gimmick at a speed faster than with a straight razor or hobby knife.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
If you want to make your own NFW, ID, In a Flash or whatever else after buying it, then feel free(heck I make my own "In a Flash"es in many different backs, and can cut them entire decks at a time).

But still, you have never bought this, so I don't see why anyone should share any methods until you....
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Here a solution that everyone can live with: buy an "In The Flash" and use one of those cards as a template. See, we can all live in harmony, and maybe with the extra ten bucks, Sankey won't have to rush out his next DVD and he'll start putting out great stuff again.

Just call me The Avitar.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
That is the very thing I am trying to avoid doing.

See you space cowboy...
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Jeez... buy the trick already!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Why would I do that when I know how it works? What happens when the version I buy would wear out? Would I have to buy it all over again? Should I have to? No, I shouldn't. I am just asking for a more efficient way making the gimmick.

See you space cowboy...
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The suggestion is that if you buy the trick, you then are on firmer moral ground when making up subsequent replacements. You've paid your dues and supported the creative mind of the inventor.

By merely learning the secret from a friend and then making up your own, you are using the inventor's ideas, creativity and efforts without giving anything in return.

- entity
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
I have to buy it all over again? Should I have to? No, I shouldn't."

You are perfectly right there, you shouldn't have to buy it again.

Bring proof that you have purchased the effect and I can PM you a great method for cutting a whole deck perfectly...

We are not suggesting you have to keep buying the effect to use it, we are suggesting you buy it *ONCE*.

Until you buy it, you are just trying to steal the routine and rip off Sankey, at least imho.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
To what? Waste money on buying an idea of which I already know? I fail to see any reason to do this.

Not telling me isn't as defiant as you think. Wow I guess I'll have to spend some time doing something I enjoy on a busy busy sunday afternoon.

See you space cowboy...
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
...an idea which you clearly don't own! Smile sigh. No wonder so many people are averse to publishing their routines. Just because you know how it's done, doesn't give you the right to perform it; it doesn't mean you can make it yourself - part of what you get by buying a trick is the right to perform it and perhaps the right to make it again yourself.

If you insist on just using the idea without buying the routine, at least send Jay a thank you note - he's a fellow Canuck and would probably appreciate it!
Logic Defied
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If you took the time you spent trying to find a better method, buying the gear, making up the deck (including a few mistakes) etc you could have done a gig and made enough money to pay for dozens of decks.
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1219 Posts

Profile of APC
Joey, just because you figure out how something is done in the demo, you wont buy it? I will...maybe I want tips or maybe just to support the creator. I think what you are doing is wrong, and we should not give you an idea if you didn't rightfully purchase this wonderful effect.
Lofty
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
128 Posts

Profile of Lofty
SO since I just wore out a pack of cards and know what a pack of bicycle cards looks like, I guess I should just print up a set and cut them out myself?
The trick is $20.00, a small price to pay to replace something you wore out.

I buy a new colouring book almost monthly, I'm always buying new sponge balls and cards. I go through 15feet of rope every show, not to mention 2 mouth coils and a bag of balloons. it's part of doing magic.

Lofty
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Joey you've clearly missed the point. The creator has spent time and money on coming up with the effect. Everyone here (except you) has spent hard-earned money to purchase the effect and support the creator. Now you come along and want a freebie. How can you be surprised by the responses?

Do you make your own clothes, appliances, and furniture because just by looking at one you can figure out how it's made? An idea is no different than a product. Besides your first sentence says it's YOUR deck; why lie to everyone if you think you're right? If you can't afford $30 for a great effect, get out now. What will you rightfully purchase, or do you want to know everything for free?
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
This makes me laugh for so many reasons: In a flash is not expensive, ripping off effects always gets emotive responses, Joey just doesn't get it.

I'm a great believer in making your own stuff, and I have a passable in a flash deck. But this forum, and I believe the greater magic community, will always look down at those who feel entitled to just steal ideas and believe they don't need to pay for a good effect.

My advice, buy the effect, then ask for ideas on how to make replacements.

Hey, I get Mercuring even though the supplied gaff is 'practice quality' just so I can 'walk tall'.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
450 Posts

Profile of johnra
Joey, my advice to you is to buy it once and then ask for how to cut more decks yourself faster.
Quote:
:To what? Waste money on buying an idea of which I already know? I fail to see any reason to do this.
Not telling me isn't as defiant as you think. Wow I guess I'll have to spend some time doing something I enjoy on a busy busy sunday afternoon.

Go buy one, prove you bought it and you may get some responses other than the ones like this telling you to buy it.

John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
If I figure something out in a demo, sure I'll use it. I knew how Stebler's The Opener was done the first time I saw it and I have improved on the method for it. But there are even more effects fellow magicians have taught me. Which I believe is how things use to be done, before greed came into play. He gave me an old version of colour monte, I never payed for that. He gave me an old version of twisted sisters, I never payed for that either. Nor have I payed for my NFW, he gave me my first set of that. And there are lots more effects he has taught me.

I love the hypocrisy here. There is not one of you here that haven't gotten a "freebie" from a friend/magician and I get the third degree for being open about it.

Personally I find it more of a crime that countless magic shops make and sell effects that they themselves make, from other effects marketed, and never give credit to the creators, and the creators themselves never see a penny of that profit. The world isn't fair. I have learned that already. I think it is time you all do as well.

I would buy it if it was convenient to me. But seeing how the nearest magic shop is over 125 km away, as the crow flies, I won't. Not to mention all the US magic sites, I am Canadian, so that is a rip off as well. Not to mention shipping of the effect if it come from an internet site from the US or Canada.

See you space cowboy...
whizzomagic
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Ky
109 Posts

Profile of whizzomagic
Just go out and buy "in a flash". You may know the secret of the effect but at least you will get pre cut cards and avoid knicks from a hobby knife. Jay Sankey is a great innovator of card magic and anyone who performs his effects owes it to him to at least purchase the initial effect before you start making your own. Sounds to me like your wanting to mass produce this effect without actually owning the effect in the first place.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Each product has "performance rights" and I suppose "personal production rights".

If he gave you twisted sisters, NFW, etc, than you are perfectly fine performing and making more...

but HE would be the unethical one for continueing to perform or make more after GIVING you the effect.

In the case of him not actually giving you the effect but just exposing/telling the secret, you are still responsible for buying the effect before you can perform it....

I don't think anyone has a problem with giving effects to other magicians, as long as you are GIVING them the effect and not copying it for them.

If you both want to perform NFW, then you need to buy 2 sets of NFW. 2 of you want to perform in a flash, that's 2 in a flashes.

if one of you wants to give effects to the other, that's fine but the giver's rights to perform or reproduce that effects are nullified after giving the effect away.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Thanks Daegs, I needed a good laugh. So he can make more of the effect, but only for his use. The moment it leaves his hands it is unethical? That is hilarious. Or after he tells me how the effect is done it would be unethical for him to preform the trick any longer? But now that you mention it, I feel so bad about telling my friend how Coin in Soda can is done and being able to teaching him something for once.

See you space cowboy...