The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Worst customer service award (51 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, cocomax wrote:
Maybe it should be called the "Hankie" in honor of Hank Lee.

I never had an issue with his customer service.

I suggest calling it the Ricky.
jmathai1
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, Virginia
85 Posts

Profile of jmathai1
This may not be the most relevant comment for this thread, but in light of the fact that there are many reputable magic dealers who sell practically everything a magician could need (thinking specifically of Vanishing Inc and Penguin Magic - I know there are more); wouldn't a practical solution going forward be to purchase exclusively through such reputable dealers? Not trying to downplay any of the bad experiences noted here; just offering my two cents for a better 2018. Happy holidays.
John Mathai
Alexandria, Virginia
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
But you are kinda downplaying it by saying what you have... We need to make sure people are aware of back business practices and to help one another losing cash and having bad experiences...
I've asked to be banned
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I think people are just blowing off some steam.

Personally I do opt only to purchase through vendors that have treated me well, but that doesn't mean I can't help others avoid the same unpleasant experiences I have had in the past (Granted, I haven't had many, thankfully - the magic world is generally pretty good to me)
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I only had two very, very bad experiences, so far. Roy Kueppers (from mid 2016 until beginning of 2017: 100 dollars purchase) and Hocus Pocus (around March 2017: +220 dollars purchase).
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of shakuni
What was the issue with Hocus Pocus? I purchased from them many times and I am about to buy an expensive item from them...
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, rockbrunnen wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, cocomax wrote:
Maybe it should be called the "Hankie" in honor of Hank Lee.

This might be the single greatest post on the Café.

But I would not call it the worst customers service. That was a crime.

Not A crime.

Many, many crimes against many, many customers.

Only one was big enough to engage the gears of legal system, but Hank Lee charged many, many customers for "back ordered" goods that would never be shipped.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1753 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
MagicTao 10000%
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
1. Proline
2. Outlaw

It took over a year to receive an Outlaw effect I ordered, but at least I got it.

I placed an order with Proline which I paid for in full over two years ago. I still haven't received it. I was promised I'd receive it no later than July 1st 2017. I still haven't received it.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Bob Cassidy died this year without writing the book he sold me.

Winner?

(Bob was a character. I miss him.)
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
The best thing to do is email the dealear a few times with questions and see how long it takes them to reply and what info they supply before you purchase anything.

If they want your business they will reply quickly. Ignore 48/72 hours for a reply.
kazpet
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of kazpet
I emailed Mystique Factory several times since the end of October when the order was made. But there was no response!! The only emails I receive from them is promoting new products which I now put into my trash.
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of alondon
The Blue Crown is awlful
In defense of Hocus Pokus-- I had a defective Offworld deck and the service that they gave was great.
dustboy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dustboy
Well, I think it is a jolly useful thread. I have wondered about a few of the dealers and tend to stick to three decent UK ones and occasionally Penguin. So far so good. But one of the names mentioned above keeps pestering me with mailers and I have been tempted. I won't be any more so thanks.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Back in the days when I was new and trusting, got screwed over by a couple of dealers.

Rock Ridge Magic - was open about the fact he was trying to screw me over when I asked. Apologized, but didn't make it okay.

Daytona Magic - can't believe they are still in business and Harry gets away with crap because, as several people I mentioned that he screwed me over told me, "That's just the way he is hahahaha." Because apparently it's okay to be a snake oil salesman and screw over your customers as long as you've been doing it for a long time.

I appreciate threads like this as well as threads that point out good customer service.
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
JM Authentics for me.

It will be over three months in the new year. Taken my money, no communication; started a new project developing Cutter's Playing Cards and even lied saying it was going to be sent out on this forum.

Absolutely terrible, I feel like I have been stolen from.

Jonathan Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
. . . . and the score thus far:-

Magictao - 6

The Blue Crown - 4

Mystique Factory - 3

Outlaw - 3

Hank Lee - 2

Roy Kueppers

Hocus Pocus

Proline

Magikdata

Rock Ridge Magic

Daytona Magic

JM Authentics

If need be, please correct . Smile

Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, Kozmo wrote:

Phewwww.....I survived another year...

Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, Kozmo wrote:
Phewwww.....I survived another year...

The year isn't over yet. Smile But I think you're pretty safe.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Another vote for Hocus Pocus for me!

Whilst not a major deal breaker, about 10 years ago I once ordered a bunch of things from them and everything arrived except one. In the box was a pink slip that was basically an apology and an IOU for the trick.

Now, if this was still 1995, it wouldn't be an issue however with e-mail and communication at the speed of light, it was inexcusable! I would have rather they told me it was out of stock (or better yet, mention it on their product page!) before mailing out my order so I could buy something else I needed.

I complained to Hocus Pocus, got an apology but the whole thing didn't feel right, almost like they just wanted my money.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1555 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, Logan wrote:
Another vote for Hocus Pocus for me!

Whilst not a major deal breaker, about 10 years ago I once ordered a bunch of things from them and everything arrived except one. In the box was a pink slip that was basically an apology and an IOU for the trick.

Now, if this was still 1995, it wouldn't be an issue however with e-mail and communication at the speed of light, it was inexcusable! I would have rather they told me it was out of stock (or better yet, mention it on their product page!) before mailing out my order so I could buy something else I needed.

I complained to Hocus Pocus, got an apology but the whole thing didn't feel right, almost like they just wanted my money.

You're posting about something that happened to you 10 years ago???