The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: When someone doesn't play by our rules... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 07:23, TonyB2009 wrote:
Personally I think the Masked Magician was one of the best things to happen to magic in the past two decades, and we all owe him a debt for the public awareness he brought to our art.

And I have no ethical issues with exposure.

Is this a joke post, or...?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I think he was being serious.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 17:01, Dougini wrote:
Well, Val Valentino, and Bruce Nash are the culprits who started this mess. Want to see the damage done? Someone tell me no one watches:

http://www.themaskedmagician.com/biography.htm

'Nuff said...

Doug

Really? All magic and the so called "secrets" were kept under lock and key and guarded by a troll till this came along? Seriously? You are going to tell me that ciggarete companies didn't post solutions to the Vanishing Bird Cage on the back of packs?

What are the secrets of magic anyhow guys? I mean the secrets that entertain people? Is it about the aparatus? If so then the Masked dude would still have a show wouldn't he? Come on guys if exposure hurts you that much on a professional level, I suggest more practice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
A "magician" with no ethical issues with exposure. Interesting.
Yeah, I certainly enjoyed the Masked Magician doing that card trick on TV, which he completely blew. That brought all kinds of good praise to what we do....
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow is that what you got from what I said?

First of all, hate to break it to you but "ethics" are arbitrary and subjective. For example do you cry so loudly about Vernon exposing a fake take away in his cups and balls? I should imagine like 99% of magicians you let it pass. Well it should not pass for it is an EXPOSURE of a method! He should be the subject of all the hatred and venom. He did it on national television. Yet somehow he is the professor! Go figure.

Why is one person not held to the same standard as the next? Oh wait that is what makes it arbitrary. Got it. Oh it is also what makes it SUBJECTIVE. Got it.

Now here is the dealio. When you walk into a magic shop, what is the requirement to purchase a trick? I mean a full blown sub trunk! What test am I given, what oath must I take, what do they do to make certain I am a magician in the first place? How about off the internet? What check and balance is in place so the secret is kept safe? What precaitions do magicians take to guard those oh so precious secrets in the first place? Then get back to me about if I have an ethical problem with anything.

(By the way the answer is if you have the cash or the credit card clears.)

As for your sarcastic barb about a "magician", ummm you list lots of professions on your web page and magician isn't even one of them!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
When someone doesn't play by our rules...

I conclude we can do nothing about it.

Sad really.

Smile
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 07:23, TonyB2009 wrote:
Personally I think the Masked Magician was one of the best things to happen to magic in the past two decades, and we all owe him a debt for the public awareness he brought to our art.

And I have no ethical issues with exposure.

Sorry Danny, seems there was some miscommunication - I had no issues with what you wrote. I was referring to the post I quoted above...not yours. I should have quoted it when I made the first comment to avoid confusion. My bad.

Thanks for the jab at my site though Smile The reason I haven't yet listed "magician" is because I don't feel accomplished enough as one. I spent too much time in L.A. talking to people who were "actors" (read: go to lots of acting classes but never work) and "screenwriters" (read: wrote a screenplay that no one read) so I take the whole title thing more seriously than just throwing it on there simply because it's a hobby. Once I'm consistently booking gigs that are exclusively magic (not just stand up comedy with magic included,) I'll list that on my site as well. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Paul, all you can do is make your show better. What else can you ask for? Do you want someone imposing rules on you? I doubt it.

Andrew, sorry thought you were taking a shot at me. I wish more would take the time to learn the craft before making the claim to be a magician. That ALONE would solve most of the problems that the OP has with this topic!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yes it would Danny imho... Smile