The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: What Really Chaps My Hide (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I just saw the inner workings of the Square Circle shown on a Bewitched episode flipping through the channels. It would be a better use of energy to concentrate on doing as Gaddy suggests & being more entertaining than sweating exposure.
You know why don't act naive.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I remember that.

Magicians still use the squared circle.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Gaddy is right. The very worst exposures are from inept bunglers who underreheasred efforts cheapen all magic.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Lets not go overboard here. Compare the size of the audience that the Masked Magician gets to the size of the audience a beginning magician gets. And there is something to be said about intent. Isn't intentionally being unethical worse than being stupid?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
"Exposure has not hurt me"
"Exposure has hurt me"

The only relevant responses to the question of exposure. People tend to equate their experience with everyone else's.

People who say: "If you just do magic better exposure won't hurt you" are unaware of the utter foolishness of their comments, as are those who say "Exposure will destroy magic". But it will go on (here) forever.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well said. Technically, if you think about it, every public library offers exposure.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I remember the very first Masked Magician episode, in which he exposed the linking rings and the levitation. The very next night, I had a show for Roadway Express. I was setting up the show, when the first spectator came in. He sat right down by the riser and started the conversation with, "I'm gonna sit right here. I know how all that stuff works. I saw the Masked Magician last night."

"Really? Do you think he actually exposed the real methods?"

"I didn't think of that."

"Do you think ANYONE would actually use a forklift for a levitation? That's pretty cheesy, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you're right. Nobody would do that. But I know how that linking ring thing works."

"Good. Then when you see the things he did, just nod at me."

Of course, Valentino didn't expose the oversize ring or the locking gaffus. And when I did my three ring routine that used both, well, our truck driver was completely bumfuzzled.

I made sure he got a really close look at the rings, too.

I enjoyed the HELL out of it. But I still have a seething hatred for those people who sell us out for a few shekels.

BTW, how many of you reading this remember the big scandal that broke when a certain couple that does a really fast Metamorphosis were going to do a benefit for the Ouatagamie County Museum, which had a Houdini display that exposed a packing case?

I sent a formal complaint to the Magic Circle of London because of that. According to their minutes, they decided that there was no violation. So, as promised, I ate crow.

I learned "the rest of the story" from Ali Bongo. It almost made me want to puke.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2009-10-10 00:16, Bill Palmer wrote:
BTW, how many of you reading this remember the big scandal that broke when a certain couple that does a really fast Metamorphosis were going to do a benefit for the Ouatagamie County Museum, which had a Houdini display that exposed a packing case?

I sent a formal complaint to the Magic Circle of London because of that. According to their minutes, they decided that there was no violation. So, as promised, I ate crow.

I learned "the rest of the story" from Ali Bongo. It almost made me want to puke.

What is the rest of the story? Can you tell us without violating any confidences?
:question: