The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: The Masked Magician Revealed My Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 01:47, Todd Robbins wrote:
Some time ago I asked if anyone had any trouble performing magic or lost a gig because of the Masked Magician. No one responded. So I ask again. What negative effect has the Masked Magician had on your performing career?

I will try to answer from my own experience, Todd.

While I would decline to ascribe a direct link between MM and personal performance difficulties I would most assuredly accuse him, and others like him who reach a very large audience, with laying the groundwork for exposure becoming rather de rigueur, or at least socially acceptable and even commendable.

This never APPEARS to be a problem with stage performances, because there is still a social scrim that is seldom violated. That, however, merely hides the possibility that the audience may be walking away discussing how they know the secrets of the tricks, so the magician is more fooled than the audience.

In "parlor" however, there is a familiarity that allows for the exposure of the trick, and therefore the magician, even during the performance! I have come upon this mostly in children's shows, and it is getting much worse. We have altered our show at least a half-dozen times, and the other day I saw the magic coloring book among things for kids to do while they waited for their table at a local restaurant.

In an audience of 50, it only takes one to spoil the show, a sort of logarithmic cause and effect.

So for me, Todd, MM has, albeit indirectly, made my job, actually passion, less than it could be, and if only just for that I find him, and those of his ilk, despicable.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, in an audience of about 15-20, performing Prohibition one night (My Closer), I had a guy expose it for everybody! He said he saw it on the Greatest Secrets Revealed Show! A few nodded in agreement (apparently they saw the show too). I apologized (for him!) and did my "backup" closer which fooled them!

Now, I don't trust showing "Prohibition" any more. At least not for a while, anyway. That really bums me out. I agree with JIm:

"So for me, Todd, the Masked Magician has made my passion, less than it could be, and if only just for that I find him, and those of his ilk, DESPICABLE."

I could not have stated it better.

Doug
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since I don't have TV at home, I hadn't seen this new round of MM specials until May during a business trip. Just caught him while surfing the channels while drinking beer and eating take-out Chinese food.

I found the show such an utter bore that I ended up changing channels ten minutes later to some MTV show with guys doing crazy and unbelievably dangerous stunts.

Regardless of any theoretical impact on magic, the shows are just poor television, IMO. Even MTV is more interesting, and THAT is saying something.

So to the original poster I would say this: if Chris Angel knows how to make good quality TV shows, he could use ANY of the material on the MM specials and make it work.

Just wait, and pray, and maybe you'll get a few of those royalty checks you're worried about not getting.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
It is very difficult to expose the real secrets of magic, and in fact the very tricks that have been explained on this barely watched show, presented expertly, continue to astonish.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2009-08-25 06:45, msmaster wrote:
It is very difficult to expose the real secrets of magic, and in fact the very tricks that have been explained on this barely watched show, presented expertly, continue to astonish.

This is so true...I guess true, practicing magicians tend to guard secrets more jealously, and that's where I'm at. I am astounded at the UTTER gall of these companies, such as Nash, and others, bold-faced and brash, to air these expose's.

Msmaster, you're right. Presented expertly and professionally, these effects (and others like them) WILL continue to astonish. We just need to be reminded of that. Thank you!

Doug
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I wouldn't worry about anything he exposes. He's revealed a few things we all do I expect but in the UK hardly anyone sees it & those laymen that watch forget it pretty quickly. I also find that if you slightly change the presentation & don't copy his in the real world people are still amazed & baffled. For example, he revealed the Gecko recently & vanished a light bulb. Nice idea as it goes, but you vanish anything else with the Gecko & members of the public won't catch on.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 08:54, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 12:32, WDI Magic wrote:
I haven't seen all of the episodes, but as far as levitations, I've only seen a Gamalo Levi, a forklift contraption, and a couple of bad ideas using electromagnets. Did this air recently? What was it?

If he would stick to revealing these types of effects I think it would be great.

It would be "great" to expose the Gamolo levitation? That's a very expensive piece of material. It's also patented, although the patent has expired.

Why is it "great" if he would stick to exposing the Gamolo?

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 7:17pm
-----------------------------
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 15:44, mrdane wrote:
As you sold official rights, is there any legal action you can take?

This is doubtful. It would only be actionable if he could prove that Angel gave the info to Valentino. Then he could sue Angel.

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 7:19pm
Quote:
On 2009-08-17 15:40, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 09:52, Jacob Spinney wrote:
So last night my friend Dana told me that she was watching the masked magician the other day revealing how this levitation works and explained it and asked if it was my levitation that he was revealing . . . YEP. That's the one; the levitation that I gave Criss Angel the conditional rights to market in the Masterminds Volume II release. I guess I can kiss any further royalty checks goodbye. Thanks Masked Magician. I hope taking the money out of the pockets of a poor 23 year old trying to make it will help you sleep at night.

I hear ya, Jacob! I hope Charlie Justice gets "justice", as I found out that the fantastic effect "Prohibition" is now exposed.

I think it's the Nash Group (Wildest Police Videos) that is partly responsible. Quick buck. Screw the silly magicians. I wonder how Nash sleeps at night.

Doug

The Nash Group was also behind the production at the Greek Isles -- The World's Greatest Magic Show, which has now closed. The Nash Group has the magicians in Vegas by the short hairs. And even the ones who normally would scream the loudest don't have the stones to go after the Nash Group.

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 7:28pm
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 17:19, kelleyro wrote:
Exposure the first time may not be seen but what if they put this show in re-runs for the next ten years? and what is up with Penn and Teller showing secrets? The Masked Magician may not be our only problem, how many others will copy him and think it is ok to expose because he is doing it?

Well, son, you have come to the party rather late, and you basically don't have all the info.

First of all, it's not illegal to expose magic. The only punishment that is available to someone like Penn and Teller is to kick them out of the magic clubs they belong to. And they don't belong to any magical organizations. So, there is basically no punishment for them.

Quote:
There is already ten thousand 10 year olds exposing tricks on YouTube and they are probably copying the Masked Magician..The kids didn't start exposing until the Masked Magician came along!?

These kids weren't even born when Valentino started exposing magic on television. These exposures started in 1997. I exposed Valentino's identity within 72 hours of the first show. I was actively fighting exposure on television before you even had a thumb tip.

I've quit. I fought this with Walter Blaney and the rest of WAM, devoting my personal resources and time to the fight. WAM is no more. And I'm tired of fighting your battles.

If you are tired of the exposures, why don't you do something about it? See how popular you are with people who were your friends when you let other people know what kind of jerks they are.

You will also learn which of them are the ones with backbones and which aren't.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 19:16, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 08:54, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 12:32, WDI Magic wrote:
I haven't seen all of the episodes, but as far as levis, I've only seen a Gamalo Levi, a forklift contraption, and a couple of bad ideas using electro magnets. Did this air recently? What was it?

If he would stick to revealing these types of effects I think it would be great.

It would be "great" to expose the Gamolo levitation? That's a VERY expensive piece of material. It's also patented, although the patent has expired.

Why is it "great" if he would stick to exposing the Gamolo?

My mistake. I am not familiar with the Gamolo levitation. I was speaking more toward that silly levitation with a fork lift.

I was just on another chat forum where the mask magician was being discussed and there were many posts stating that this is old news, the masked magician is no big deal, its even good for magic, etc.

Are we becoming desensitized to this horrible breech in ethics?

Bill, I can’t begin to relate to your frustration, but please, keep fighting!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
On 9/21/09 The masked magician exposed the french arm chopper(Using Mak's actual prop)the hydrostatic glass, Multum in parvo among many other tricks. It irritates me ,but I know there is nothing that can be done. I also know that many people will soon forget.

Magic is to publicized for profit. I wish it was like it was years ago when you were taught by someone who handed the secrets down to you.

Don
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 10:03, mandarin wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 01:47, Todd Robbins wrote:
Some time ago I asked if anyone had any trouble performing magic or lost a gig because of the Masked Magician. No one responded. So I ask again. What negative effect has the Masked Magician had on your performing career?

Jim,

I agree! I have noticed that my kids shows are tougher than they have ever been. I continue to alter the show, but there is always that one kid that can spoil it for everybody. Exposure of magic is out of control and I think it's time us magicians come together and do something about it. Get a petition against the company that produce and air these exposure episodes, wipe out youtube exposure videos. Non of this will happen if we do not come together and stand up for our INCOME..our families that we have to feed and the bills we have to pay.

I will try to answer from my own experience, Todd.

While I would decline to ascribe a direct link between MM and personal performance difficulties I would most assuredly accuse him, and others like him who reach a very large audience, with laying the groundwork for exposure becoming rather de rigueur, or at least socially acceptable and even commendable.

This never APPEARS to be a problem with stage performances, because there is still a social scrim that is seldom violated. That, however, merely hides the possibility that the audience may be walking away discussing how they know the secrets of the tricks, so the magician is more fooled than the audience.

In "parlor" however, there is a familiarity that allows for the exposure of the trick, and therefore the magician, even during the performance! I have come upon this mostly in children's shows, and it is getting much worse. We have altered our show at least a half-dozen times, and the other day I saw the magic coloring book among things for kids to do while they waited for their table at a local restaurant.

In an audience of 50, it only takes one to spoil the show, a sort of logarithmic cause and effect.

So for me, Todd, MM has, albeit indirectly, made my job, actually passion, less than it could be, and if only just for that I find him, and those of his ilk, despicable.

Jim