The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: What do you answer when people ask you if you know how The Bigs Stars do it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I always say, "I have no idea." That's the way I would want someone to respond to being asked if they knew how I did something.

What about your spouse? Did you ever have someone ask them, "Do you know how he/she did that"? If someone else in the room claims to know how a trick is done after seeing a performance of that trick, it spoils the magic. My wife always responds the way I respond: "I have no idea how he does that."

Of course, there are always those who will claim to know how a trick is done--"it went up his sleeve"--and usually these people are ignored--"no way"--but a person who is known to, at the very least, dabble in magic will probably be believed, which will thereby lessen the effect in the minds of the audience.
Clinton W. Gray
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Clinton W. Gray
Along the same lines, what do you answer to the question, "Why don't you do that trick that Criss Angel does?" (insert whatever trick they just saw last week on TV)

If you read (listen?) between the lines I think they are asking , "Do you know how he does it, and if so why don't you do it?"

~Clinton
Clinton W. Gray
Magician in Vancouver BC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-03-07 11:37, lane99 wrote:
Down, you mean. Other than magicians, is there any other group that believes declining someone;s request for help would actually make them feel more positively towards you, rather than less?

To the original question: if it's a cheap trick, I'd probably tell the person my guess of how it's done (this happened yesterday, to which the person replied "oh, that's cheating". Which it was).

If it's a cool trick, I might demur. But I try to avoid doing it in a way that gives them the impression that I know the answer, but won't tell them. That's irritating to most people.

Why on Earth would you tell any layman how any trick is done?

"Do you know how he did that?"

"yes"

"How"

"Rather well."

or

"It's something that anyone with a $2.5 million budget could do."

or

"It's on page 353 of The Universal Handbook of Magical Illusions."

or (if you have an older pushbutton telephone)

"I'm not sure, but you can find out if you dial 1-800-MAGIC IQ." (The older phones do not have a Q on the keypad.)
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Clinton W. Gray
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Great response, Bill.
Clinton W. Gray
Magician in Vancouver BC
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Quote:
On 2009-03-28 11:51, Bill Palmer wrote:
Why on Earth would you tell ANY layman how ANY trick is done?

Trying to overcome the stereotype. And it usually leaves them with a slightly more positive attitude to magic than they had before.
Clinton W. Gray
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-30 15:50, lane99 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-28 11:51, Bill Palmer wrote:
Why on Earth would you tell ANY layman how ANY trick is done?

Trying to overcome the stereotype. And it usually leaves them with a slightly more positive attitude to magic than they had before.

I could not agree more. I was working for a Mennonite community in northern Alberta today doing my fire prevention show. There was HUGE opposition to me coming, since I do the work of the devil. However, the fire safety message is extremely important and the Alberta government is paying to make sure all students are getting the program. A few simple magic tricks "revealed" to the school principal and religious leaders, convinced them that "my type of magic" was okay to be presented at their school.

If my program saves a family of Mennonite children from dying in a fire, I think a few tricks revealed was worth it.
Clinton W. Gray
Magician in Vancouver BC
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
How does he do it?

Years of practice and self-denial.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Good answer.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I wish I could remember who said this first but it was something to the effect of:

"Can you do that trick Criss angel does on TV?"

"No, neither can he"
Ray Pierce
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
I like an answer where they are left wondering, yet are not irritated.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
A popular joke answer: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
ya4davecox
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
124 Posts

Profile of ya4davecox
Magnets.

I always say, "Magnets."

For a moment they think they are onto something. They have that "Oh... yeah!" expression. Then you get the "Hey, wait a minute..."

Priceless.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2009-02-24 11:00, stoneunhinged wrote:
The Big Stars? Generally, I don't know how they do it.

I'm glad I'm not alone.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
"how did the big star do that?"

"Well, there are a number of possibilities. Only the big star knows which one was used."

"Do you know how to do it?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"I wish I could tell you. However, as a magician, I am not at liberty to disclose magic secrets other than to a fellow magician. Since you are interested, you might consider becoming one. It's hard work, but after the first several years, quite rewarding."
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
This question is such a catch 22 because you can quickly end up looking like a no-nothing amateur or an arrogant snot, depending on how you answer. I'm usually just honest with them.
rusty151
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach
18 Posts

Profile of rusty151
A lot of times I would say that, "no I don't think so," then ask them how they thought it was done. I love to hear their ideas on how things are done. They really give us a lot of credit on how hard or easy things are done. The Color Changing Knife routine was said to be done with a new material that changes color with heat! That was why the magician pushed it thru his hand so many times, friction caused the change. My answer would be, "I'm not sure, but I really enjoyed watching them perform the magic."
Rusty
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Answer...

"I'll ask them when I see them next Meeting..."

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I'd rather look like a "know-nothing amateur" than an "arrogant snot." This way, when they see me perform, they are surprised, whereas the other way they would expect too much.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I would rather look like Brad Pitt. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts