The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Stopping the Masked Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 11:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea where is ol MM now?

In my dreams, dead and buried.

In reality, I think he's just waiting in the wings...

Getting enough new material to expose in the next few years.

He waited 10 years between the Specials for new material mind you...

Easy money for him, wait for the next big thing in Magic, then expose.

It is being shown like crazy here in my county. Sometimes 4 Shows in a row... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Well mentalism still counts! I was afraid we'd lost you entirely Smile

Personally I found the show to be such a joke that it didn't harm magic for me. It's been so long since it was on in the states (at least from my recollection) that I don't remember a lot of what he did anyway.

I think if the Masked Magician ruined it for audiences, it says more about the audiences than it does about magic. It was so poorly presented (and some of it was TV magic...I remember them making a tank disappear...and when they showed the "method," the ONLY way it would work was on television.)
I believe that the audiences that love magic will continue to love it. Then again if it's continuing to be shown in mass amounts in your country, the experience there could certainly be different than it is in other parts of the world.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I still LOVE to watch Magic and help out my fellow Magicians in real life and here... Smile

Nice new pic btw Andrew... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I personally think the only one still talking about him is magicians looking for an excuse.

Why would he need NEW material to "expose"? There is centuries of it left why wait?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You can thank my agent, Pakar - she insisted on the new head shots. Granted it's been on my web site for awhile now but I thought I'd migrate it over here. You know, for the ladies.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
The ladies are in good hands here in the Café, Andrew, so you can take your new head shot down... try one like mine...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Jim, I'll sell you a copy of mine if you want. 30 bucks and it's yours. I'll even have my mom forge my signature on it before she sends it out. Or if you'd be interested in a trade once those new Sherwoods of yours arrive....
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 17:23, Dannydoyle wrote:
I personally think the only one still talking about him is magicians looking for an excuse.

Why would he need NEW material to "expose"? There is centuries of it left why wait?

Because he prefers to expose the techniques that are popular at the moment.

Thus, we get the David Blaine and Criss Angel stuff and marketed effects like Healed and Sealed...

My prediction is that in 10 years or less, there will be another spate of these shows.

Worse, they'll air the old ones at the same time as well, like they're doing now.

But if you don't agree, no prob... Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Andrew-

Will that include "performance" rights?

Jim
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You'll have to talk to my mom about that one. She's a stickler on this stuff but I'll put in a good word for you. Granted you'll have to explain to your audiences why you're carrying around a picture of Justin Beiber but it'll make for good conversation anyway.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The difference between magic and mentalism is the denial.

Now, look what you guys have done... His next special is going to be a mentalist. He will expose the methods of mentalism, but still claim to have special powers, LOL!!!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 09:58, magic4545 wrote:
The difference between magic and mentalism is the denial.

Now, look what you guys have done... His next special is going to be a mentalist. He will expose the methods of mentalism, but still claim to have special powers, LOL!!!

They did do a "Psychics Revealed" a few years back actually...

Didn't put a dent in it. The belief in it, I mean... Those who believe will continue to believe.

With Mentalism, there is a built in "firewall" if you may...

People WANT to believe, even after you tell them it's just "psychological techniques".

Look at Readings (Tarot, Palmistry etc.), debunked for years as "cold reading"...

Still going strong if not stronger these days, what with New Age and all...

As is the case with trance work, firewalking, out of body abilities etc...

With Mentalism, I don't worry about exposure really...

But that's just me. Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

No, not just you Pakar- I believe you are spot on with the difference in the attitudes of the audience. Gotta take a closer look at changing to M rather than sticking with M... mentalists will understand...

Jim
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Exposing mentalism wouldn't be visual enough to really entertain audiences; that's why I think it's safer from this kind of thing. Without the super models, the flash pots and the big productions, the show wouldn't have been nearly as interesting to the viewers. While there are props and gimmicks used in mentalism, it wouldn't be enough to make it worth the investment to put another program together.

I could see something like the History Channel doing something with that. Talking to memory experts like Harry Lorayne, diving into some of the techniques used...but that would be more of an actual education on the art of mentalism. Fox viewers aren't looking for an education.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
The masked magician (Valentino) and others, are no different than anybody else selling secrets. If you want to guard the craft, you'd have to get rid of all the magic shops in the world, and burn every magic book. It just doesn't make sense.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 10:20, jdmagic357 wrote:
The masked magician (Valentino) and others, are no different than anybody else selling secrets. If you want to guard the craft, you'd have to get rid of all the magic shops in the world, and burn every magic book. It just doesn't make sense.

The biggest contributor's to magic exposure are those who call themselves creator's, and release material after material to the general public to make as much money as they can before the hype dies down. Those who are releasing material are contributing to the problem. A layperson cannot expose a trick unless it's first be exposed to him. It doesn't matter if it's the Masked Magician or a dvd bought from a magic shop or an online store. They are both exposing magic.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 11:24, Gospel Dan wrote:
The biggest contributor's to magic exposure are those who call themselves creator's, and release material after material to the general public to make as much money as they can before the hype dies down. Those who are releasing material are contributing to the problem. A layperson cannot expose a trick unless it's first be exposed to him. It doesn't matter if it's the Masked Magician or a dvd bought from a magic shop or an online store. They are both exposing magic.

Good point. Thank you.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.