The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic Friday by Jamie D. Grant :: UNWRITTEN by Oliver Meech from His Book "The Plot Thickens" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
What The Audience Sees:

“This Jamie cat sure is funny, man. So it’s Magic Friday, right, and he comes in and says he just had a problem with his last group and that he needs me to sign something before we start. He pulls out some cards and one of them has a contract on the back saying that I’ll be good and stuff. So I sign it and he blows us away with this crazy cube trick. But then he says, “I knew you would be a good audience!” and then I said, “Well why did I have to sign the contract then?” and he replies, “I didn’t.” Well, I turned over the card and my signature was gone!!! And when he told me to pick up the pen, I couldn’t get the cap off!! It was craaaaaaaaazy!!”

How It Went:

This is one of those tricks that just helps solidify you as a magician as opposed to someone who knows some magic tricks. I mean, only a real magician has a contract on the back of his card, right? And it played out really well on Friday. The great thing about it is that it’s not really a trick in itself. It’s just a magical moment that plays out after something else you’ve done.

People laughed at the opening premise and the beginning is a great way to introduce everything. Walking into a room and saying, “Holy Smokes, you wouldn’t believe that last crowd! Here, you gotta sign this...” is a really funny bit and gets the energy going right off the top.

I did, however, leave out the pen cap not coming off bit about halfway through the day. I found that a “He switched the pen” idea might also lead to a “Then he must have switched the card too” train of thought and I wanted to leave the card as pure magic. I also didn’t want them to think I used invisible ink so I made sure they held onto the pen.

Best Lines:

”Did I sign that? I signed that didn’t I?!?!”
-It’s always amazing to see someone doubt themselves..

”Get outta here, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!
-It’s a really fun bit.

Angry Bob Rating:

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TT’s exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he can’t figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

“Where’s the ^#&&#^ **#&&#**#?”
-Okay, so it wasn’t an Angry Bob fooler. But it fooled everyone else. And I don’t think he caught the %#^(*&. He just knew something had happened. 2/5

My Rating:

Did this change people’s lives? Probably not. But it sure brought some fun into them. I don’t know, I liked it. Let’s say, 8.5/10. If for nothing else than the premise and idea, which I thought was great. And it leaves your card on the table, which is always nice.

The JDG Tip:

Read It Here!

Closing Thoughts:

I’ve heard the phrase “This book will inspire you!” many times but it really rings true here. Oliver has some crazy unique thinking that gets you thinking outside of the box. I don’t normally review an entire book but I would have to say that I enjoyed reading this when looking for an effect for Friday. Great work Oliver! And excellent crediting, as well. That was a pleasant surprise!

Have a great week, everyone!

Jamie D. Grant
http://www.whatizit.net

This Magic Friday was kindly sponsored by Murphy’s Magic. note- sponsorship in no way affects reviews.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk