The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Alternative to suitcase tables etc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1359 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I was using a Lefler style suitcase table, and 2 cube tables stacked on each other, for my gigs. Man, those cube tables are heavy and awkward to carry, and with all that stuff it took 2 or 3 trips from the car into a home/venue. But I use 2 puppets and a 12" by 12" prop in addition to my other magic, so I switched to this instead of the 2 cube tables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JK5......F8&psc=1 . I also switched to a light weight thick brief case for the 2 puppets. I don't think they make that kind of briefcase/small suitcase anymore, I don't remember who made it. Now I can carry the food delivery backpack on my back, the briefcase in 1 hand and the leftler in the other, so much better. The food deliver backpacks come in a variety of sizes and configurations, some have removable hard plastic sides and removable plastic shelves. I will make some kind of nice fabric cover for it because the straps are towards the audience as I use it, so it doesn't look great, though nobody cares anyway. Anyway, though I'd suggest them to those of you who want to reduce weight or trips to the car. Of course you can reduce the size and weight of props, but if you don't want to, this may be a good option.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1359 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Also, this is pretty good as an easier, smaller, lightweight mic & receiver to use with your PA: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TV7......F8&psc=1 . Not high end, but perfectly good for most gigs I do. I use it with my Bose S1. If you prefer a higher end mic & receiver, this is not for you, though still good as a back-up. I didn't buy it cause it was only $50, I wanted something that has a receiver that didn't need to be plugged in, and also very small and light weight with a quick set-up. The headset mic picks up plosive sounds and wind too much, but you can add a better windscreen. Maybe you can replace the mic if you have one that screws in to the jack, not sure if it's universal. I use the lavalier mic clipped onto my tie.
I have a Samson Airline mic & receiver, but it has buzz/hum with the PA's I've tried it with, though I hear they work well for some people.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1697 Posts

Profile of Futureal
You’re recommending people buy two products that aren’t even available to buy. Thanks.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1359 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Futureal, the mic thing is still available, I just ordered another as backup, not sure why you think it's not available, but in any case there are many similar things to it available. The food delivery backpack I linked to was meant as an example, and as I mentioned, they come in a variety of sizes, shapes, features, so you'd need to pick one that suits your specific needs anyway, just search for food delivery boxes/backpacks, etc, there are a lot on Amazon and elsewhere.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2023, danfreed wrote:
Also, this is pretty good as an easier, smaller, lightweight mic & receiver to use with your PA: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TV7......F8&psc=1 . Not high end, but perfectly good for most gigs I do. I use it with my Bose S1. If you prefer a higher end mic & receiver, this is not for you, though still good as a back-up. I didn't buy it cause it was only $50, I wanted something that has a receiver that didn't need to be plugged in, and also very small and light weight with a quick set-up. The headset mic picks up plosive sounds and wind too much, but you can add a better windscreen. Maybe you can replace the mic if you have one that screws in to the jack, not sure if it's universal. I use the lavalier mic clipped onto my tie.
I have a Samson Airline mic & receiver, but it has buzz/hum with the PA's I've tried it with, though I hear they work well for some people.

I use something similar from Fifine. It saves me from having to plug into power, making it convenient to use. I've used it for everything from open-mike nights to private parties where I can plug into the DJ's system. I use the headset because it gives me more gain before feedback.

I may get one of the food delivery bags because it would be easier to navigate stairs within old buildings, that don't have elevators. I currently use a large plastic tote that requires both hands to carry it - not good when I should be holding onto a handrail.