The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: contract??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
How would you suggest "keeping your bookings" I have people call and book a show then later call and cancel because.... their kid doesn't want magic there won't be as many kids there because... or any other 1001 reasons they come up with.
I have tried contracts but there might be a better way. I have also thought of having them send me a non-refundable deposit. any ideas????????? Thank you for your help
:hmm: Smile Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I almost never have a cancellation. Maybe 1 out of 50 shows. I have never really thought about it until you asked the question as to why that is. This is pure speculation, but I believe my fee is such that I, for the most part, deal only with people that do not cancel contracts. I'll leave it at that. If you want to discuss it further, please email me. By the way, I send a confirmation letter, but do not require any deposit. Never have.

Steven

Smile
Coram Deo
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Like the other post, only about 1 out of 50 or so will cancel on me. The best way to guarantee they won't is to use a contract. DON'T CALL IT THAT when talking to the client. Call it an agreement, and that's it's just a guarantee for them that you WILL show up and not leave 'em hanging. That always works..the word contract scares a lot of people. It makes 'em think they've gotten into something too deep for "just a kid's birthday party". There's a great book called...strangely, "The Contract Book", that'll give you some good ideas. The only clauses I use are the video/duplication and the cancellation clause. The non-refundable deposit is also good, and most real customers are more than happy to pay the full amount up front if they know you're good.

Steve Thomas
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I totally agree with Steve Thomas.
I have never used the word contract or have it mentioned when I send my "Agreement" to
my clients. Sometimes they ask what deposit
is required when you send me the contract.
I say 'My agreement requests a 40% deposit'.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I have used a combination of the following.

Verbal Contract/Agreement

Formal Contract

and lately I have been using Invoices.

The invoices are used mostly with businesses
rather than for smaller items like
individual birthday parties.

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u