The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Openers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Michael238
What is your favorite opener?

I open with either blooming flowers, or snacks alive by Martin Lewis
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Although only a newbie I open with the stiff rope to get a bit of audience participation going then happy / sad clown

Stu Di Doo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I don't open with a trick, I open with a funny introductive chat with the kids, where we learn their names, the magic word and they get introduced to the big balloon model that the best behaved gets to take home, After that I go into my first routine.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I like opening with zombie routine using either an m&m doll or a sponge bob. Sometimes with a fun silk routine.
Daniel Faith
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I use emazdads approach, then I use the book of smell, (spells) and when the say the magic word I use a an apperaing magic wand. then go into charlie the monkey routine.
Matt
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I open with pretty much the same thing as emazdad. It's just a warm up.

I come out and say, "Are you all ready for a magic show!?" They yell back, 'yes.' "Raise your hand if you like magic...OK, hands down. Raise your hand if you have not seen my show before...OK, hands down. Raise your hand if you're seeing my show for the first time. (Same hands go up)Oh! It's the same people. Ok, raise your hand if you don't like raising your hand." The last line is a David Ginn line that always gets a laugh.

The next warmup thing I do is on the Dave Dee video with his course and I don't think I should reveal it here. But, it gets the kids accustomed to clapping and having a good time. Then, I go into Rocky Raccoon.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I begin by using Ian Adair's Butterfly Puzzle. The optical illusion of two equal, then unequal curves. I use it as introducing them as the two caterpillar brothers "Sitenzee & Silencio". They remind us of the two big ideas to keep in mind during the show - staying on our back pockets and no talking while other are talking. If we remember to do these two things we'll have a beautiful (butterfly side) time.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Also you can say "How many people are here? Put your hand up if you're not here" and count them in silly voice.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I like to open with music and do a series of colorful productions, starting with feather flowers, silks and then silks that turn into a feather plume. This sets the mood and parents can see that this is a real show, not just a guy with tricks. I try to give the kids something I would be proud to do on any stage and I try to make it unique.

Just my opinion, but I feel that verbal warm-ups are a little hokey, definitely wouldn't fit my style.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Do have to take a music system to every gig?
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
I open with Miser's dream. Just after my into, very upbeat music starts and the coins start to flow.

B.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Do any of you use Martin Lewis' cardographic?
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Matt,

I use a boom box, definitely low-tech but it's easy, inexpensive and it works every time.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I also use a boom box.
You can get a real good one for less than 200 that realy plays clear and loud.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use music too with my opening effects.
After the initial effect I go into a dialog with the kids much the same as you other guys.
I think along the same lines as Bill.
Show your skill right away. If not for the kids, for the adults.
Daniel Faith
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-06-04 15:21, Bill Scarlett wrote:
I like to open with music and do a series of colorful productions, starting with feather flowers, silks and then silks that turn into a feather plume. This sets the mood and parents can see that this is a real show, not just a guy with tricks. I try to give the kids something I would be proud to do on any stage and I try to make it unique.

Just my opinion, but I feel that verbal warm-ups are a little hokey, definitely wouldn't fit my style.

That's weird! I always thought that musical openings at kids parties (particularly from a smaller sound system) always seem a bit hokey.

I guess I've seen one to many Copperfield wannabe playing new age music!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I don't do any musicical, 'magic at' magic routines in my show. I prefer to interact with the kids straight away and all my routines are 'magic with' and involve a helper.

My dress, professional manner, PA and well looked after props tell the audience that it's a proper show. My intro tells the kids we're going to have fun, which is the most important thing in a kids show.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Quote:
On 2004-06-05 00:54, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-04 15:21, Bill Scarlett wrote:

That's weird! I always thought that musical openings at kids parties (particularly from a smaller sound system) always seem a bit hokey.

I guess I've seen one to many Copperfield wannabe playing new age music!

Nicholas,

No new age music for me, and I try to avoid doing my Copperfield imitation. My opening is to upbeat orchestral music and the colorful productions seem to really catch the kids attention and set the tone for the rest of the show. I think it helps with audience management too, because after the muscial segment, I don't have much trouble with talkers. I do another musical segment in the middle and to end my show. No one seems to mind the boom box and I think that setting up a full fledged sound system in someone's living room seems overkill to me.

Hope this is useful info.

Bill
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
How long is your show Bill?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
My show is usually 45 minutes, half an hour for real little kids.

Bill