The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Color changing plumes (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Does anyone ever use the color changing plumes as an opener to music? Curious how well it is received.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That trick is rarely used at all.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Baloney. I do it every show and get a great reaction to music.

First, it is not an opener. I have used it as a closer but prefer it as a middle piece. Second, you can't use the ones that look like fuzzies on a stick. The don't look like feather plumes but a fuzzy stick.

I once was going to take it out of the routine at a magic convention. Yes, I know it is not normally a good gauge but it was the matinee at Abbott's which is 90% laymen. Hank Moorehouse told me to leave it in because you get such a "good reaction from it". Dick Gustfason will tell you the same thing. The original Marshall routine has three applause cues built in it. It registers very well with laymen.

But like so many flower effects that are great, it was ripped off by cheap imitations and overdone by so many magicians that have no sense of presentation that it is rarely seen today. You get what you pay for in appearance and reaction.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I NEVER do a show without it.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I don't see it as an opener but with the right routine its a wonderful effect.

BTW Richard Hughes made my plumes and I would highly recommend them.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I use it as part of a closer for parlor and stage. Its a prelude to the Mutlilated Parasol

Your selection of music is crucial to a good performance, although some will not use music at all.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Richard made me a special one. I only use it in my feather flower act.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I use one that I got from Practical magic.
Made very well.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I'm going to try opening with the "Super Fantasy Plumes" for my new reading show this summer.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Hummm, interesting. I pictured this as a good opening to music but so far nobody uses it like this. I personally do not own a set anymore. I used to own the cheap model years ago and DID perform it a few times, but with no regularity. But I am putting together a new show and thought of this as a nice, colorful opening effect.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use the Color Changing Plumes in one of my opening routines. It is a very popular routine, however the plumes are only part of the routine, so I don't know how much that tells you. My plumes are used in a different way, and though they are only a portion of the routine they work great for me. I hesitated to even mention it but since so few had posted I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
I love the magic and visual color of Color Changing Plumes. They need no explanation and I think they are a perfect prop to use with music.
Mister Mystery
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Your right about the music. I think your selection makes or breaks the routine. Find the right song and this can be a very fun opening. As some of us have eluded to, feathers can be just part of the routine.
Boutania, sleevers, doves, silk fountain it's not limited.
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
I used it as an opener some years ago, and it worked very well. The catch is that I used a set where the final plume comes out three colors. This made a very nice end to the trick. Does anyone know if someone still makes these, with the tri-color plume, for a reasonable price?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Email Richard (hugmagic) above. That is how he made mine. He is known as the King of Feathered Flowers.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As to the Multi color Plume, that was the climax that Horace Marshall invented and added to his color changing plumes. His early sets did not have the Red-White and Blue finish. His method, including the climax was promptly knocked off by people the world over.
The original Levante plume had a great size difference in the first initial plumes and the later multi color climax. That is why Marshall's was such an improvement. There was no apparent difference in size.
Martina's also made a version used by Karl Germain and others that had a different mechanism but still a great difference in size.
I can certainly make something up but it will not be cheap with feathers hard to get and over $275 a pound. And don't tell me how many feathers are in a pound. I know. The key is how many can you use that are not split or properly shaved. Properly made plumes take some of the finest feathers averrable. to hold up.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
761 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I have made my own, and you are lucky to get 1 usable good feather out of every 6 or so. Richard is your man......His products are tops.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
If I decide to move forward I wll contact you richard

I've seen sets with six plumes. Does anyone think that is overkill?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Again, it depends on the routine and the pacing. The Marshall routine was always 6 plumes. Later he added the RWB plume finish. The original finish was to place the plumes inside a Botania and then open the botania.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2016, hugmagic wrote:
Again, it depends on the routine and the pacing. The Marshall routine was always 6 plumes. Later he added the RWB plume finish. The original finish was to place the plumes inside a Botania and then open the botania.

Ahhhhhh, NICE ending. That was one of my concerns. Repetitious color changes, then, just ending. I like the idea of the botania!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2016, TommyJ wrote:
If I decide to move forward I wll contact you richard

You are always moving forward with your inventions, Tommy. Smile I am sure you will really love Richard's flower feathers. Nobody can beat his, I mean nobody.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Let me say this, when I perform the plumes I do the basic routine. The pacing is important. I keep the first series of changes moving along so they don't have a lot of time to think about things. By then I have thrown suspect on the paper. I tear up the first paper and then get the loaded paper with the RWB. I sucker them by thinking the color change is not working anymore then I partially pull out the rwb plume so then just the blue shows. I have set the hook then I nail them with the RWB finish. It is strong and plays well.
I might add that a little acting and facial expressions also help.
I might add that Neil Foster did the Marshall plumes for years in his school shows and got a great reaction.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com