The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Daycares and Pre-schools (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Do any of you do monthly visits to daycares and pre-schools with an educational show? I do, and it is an easy way to fill up your datebook fast if there are gaps!! Here are the themes I offer:

http://www.comicmagician.com/page_childrens_preschools.html

Any questions? JR
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Wow. Roger, you have a nice line up of shows there. I like that.

To me that would be a good way to return often.
"Pick three or more and get a discount."
Do you do something like that?

Tom
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Wow Jolly - that looks really impressive. How much material do you keep in each show? What are the themes that are booked most often? Are you able to get your regular fee from daycare centers? What is the impact on requests for birthdays from appearing monthly at a Daycare Center?
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Yes........I often get booked for birthdays as a result of my daycare shows. These daycare shows that I do each month are all completely different material. The shows are only 30 minutes, so if you do the mathematics, you will realize that is six hours of material! When I get booked for one off shows, I usually do 45 minutes or an hour, and they are mainly in the summer. Sorry, but I am not prepared to talk about fees on this forum, as it makes no sense. I have seen some of the ridiculous discussions about fees in other threads, and it always seems to end up with everyone trying to out-do everyone else, and it is also impossible to tell who is telling the truth. Magicians tend to exaggerate anyway!! Also, the market is very different around the country, depending on what state or city you reside. Test the market, and charge accordingly is my best advice! JR
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Roger I understand about fees being different in different areas.
I wasn't asking how much, sorry if it sounded that way. Just curious if you did give a
discount if a center would commit to booking more than one program within a years time.
If maybe somehow you sold something like a pick three package.

Tom
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 13:44, TomBoleware wrote:
Roger I understand about fees being different in different areas.
I wasn't asking how much, sorry if it sounded that way. Just curious if you did give a
discount if a center would commit to booking more than one program within a years time.
If maybe somehow you sold something like a pick three package.

Tom

Goodness me Tom, my remarks about fees were certainly not directed at you....just a general observation. In answer to your question, I do give a discount to a centre(correct British spelling) that books me every month of the year. I rarely get asked to do just three shows at one centre throughout the year, but if I did I might consider a discount. It is normally a single annual show, or my monthly educational show. I am trusting that makes sense! Jolly Good!!! JR
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Can they book a regular, pure-fun show instead? Or do they have to take a themed show specific to that month?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 14:25, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Can they book a regular, pure-fun show instead? Or do they have to take a themed show specific to that month?

- Donald

I only do the themed shows on my monthly visits, Donald, so I don't know the answer. My one off shows in the summer are usually just my fun magic show, although I occasionally throw in a pool safety message, as we sadly have several tragic drownings of kids ever year. JR
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Thanks Roger. I think I got it now. I think. Smile

Your themed monthly shows has nothing to do with your normal shows?

A daycare can hire you to do a normal (no theme) magic show, can't they?

Tom
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 16:09, TomBoleware wrote:

Tom

You've got it Tom!!! I shall put a good word in for you as a prospective candidate for Mensa!!! JR
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
LOL

Tom
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 16:33, Jolly Roger wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 16:09, TomBoleware wrote:

Tom

You've got it Tom!!! I shall put a good word in for you as a prospective candidate for Mensa!!! JR
National Testing Day is in October. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Great idea!

I'm going to start trying to book with those. I have a standing gig at a daycare for once a quarter. But, this sounds like a great way to improve booking.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-07-06 19:37, curtgunz wrote:
Great idea!

I'm going to start trying to book with those. I have a standing gig at a daycare for once a quarter. But, this sounds like a great way to improve booking.

Glad to have been of service, Curtgunz! Break a leg! JR
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Daycares are the KEY to more birthday bookings as far as I've found. It's like opening up a pizza parlor next to a weight-watchers clinic.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Are the rates you charged for the shows higher or lower than the birthday party shows?
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Everyone seems terribly keen on knowing what I am charging for daycares. I am even getting emails about it! I am sorry, but fees are one subject I will not be talking about on this forum or anywhere else. I believe I have been more than generous with the information I have given away as guest of honour, but when it comes to fees, you really need to do your homework as I did. I know this forum has the theme of "magicians helping magicians", but it does not have the theme of "Magicians being handed everything on a plate by other magicians, and not doing any homework themselves!" Thanks for your understanding in this matter. There are hundreds of threads on The Magic Café talking about fees, so I suggest you ask some of those magicians who are obsessed with "what should I charge?" and I am sure you will get a million different answers.........none of which are really relevant!! JR
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I want to know more about the 'mysteries of the universe show' please. I shudder to think what you are subjecting these impressionable young minds to!!!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Great line up of programs JR! Do you ever offer/perform any of these themes for school programs? If so, how much change in the routines are needed to make them work for both groups?
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Roger,

Your educational themes are a brilliant marketing strategy! Do any of your instructional DVD's go into more depth about your theme shows and routines to help other magicians bring this marketing strategy full circle?

On a separate note, I was evaluating your DVD Games and Magic "The Icing on the Cake". I've been successfully combining magic with games for the past 30 years for all the beneficial reasons you preach in here. Could I still possibly benefit from this DVD collection if I'm always looking for good new gaming ideas, or is this collection more geared towards selling the concept and benefits to magicians that aren't already doing this? In other words, what percentage of the the DVD is actually devoted towards providing footage & details for many of the games you do?

Finally, please clarify the pricing on this DVD. Can it only be purchased in combo with the lecture notes - since that's the only way I see it listed? Are these the lecture notes that go into how to do your cloth of invisibility?

Gary