The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Adults at kids' parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bobcartmel
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of bobcartmel
When I used to perform for children on a regular basis (many years ago)there would usually be the odd adult around (perhaps the parents of the birthday child). Now I just do the odd show for grand children but find that each child brings an adult who stays for the whole party. How do performers deal with the adults when they start talking amongst themselves during the show. Do they ignore them and carry on or tell them to shut up and behave. If they get them to be quiet how do they do? Thanks in advance for the help.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I bring a power amp to all of my shows and I use it. I just ignore any adults that might be talking amongst themselves. I'm really there to entertain the children so so that is all I care about. You'll have some adults that are just as interested in the magic as the children and others that do not care about it at all.
under6
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of under6
I pretty much do the same as Wizardpa. I did have one very strange happening recently. I was performing at a baptism celebration, in a formal room at a restaurant, with the parquet dance floor as my stage. Only had about 10 kids at the show. An adult male, in a suit, not seemingly impaired, walked up to my table and reached over and touched my prop, as to examine it - during the routine. I defensively grabbed it so that he could not expose the trick. Now we were not in close quarters, he had to make a decision & an effort to walk over and do that. Previously, I had only worried about toddlers and children being out of control - but this experience changed all that. I didn't realize that I also need to look out for sober adults.
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I often say at the begining of the show that if the adults are too loud we are alowed to turn around a go Shhh. I explain that its like when you go to the cinema and someone is talking behind you, it's rude and it makes it dificult to concentrate. I say this with a smile but I make sure that the parents hear it.

I think if parents are paying a lot of money for me to be there their adult friends should behave!
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
That Schhh! is an old and trusted one Colin and it always works. I won't say for how long!

Interesting that Bob finds more adults now than previously. I mentioned this recently in a post. In this part of the world a parent will stay with their offspring when they are 3 and 4 years old but by 5 they reckon the child is old enough to stay on their own. So they bring them in and go quite quickly. Some more quickly than others!

And after that the parents let them out of the car and drive off! They don't even come in with them. Can't get rid of them quick enough. If I see a parent at a party for 6 or 7 or 8 year olds, there has to be a reason.

Either they have come a long distance and are staying - this is a region which attracts people from all over the country and social mobility is very high here - or one's immediate thought is their child might be special needs. Not usually a problem so long as one knows and is aware.

This getting rid of children isn't new, It has always been like that around here. Parents don't want their children around them. I've said before, British parents of a certain social class don't really like children. Hotel chains advertise on TV their child free hotels - they won't take them. Good restaurants generally wont have children under 12 because their diners don't like children around them - they have gone out to dinner to get away from children! Perfectly reasonable. And small hotels and b&bs refuse children likewise.

Indeed I find as I travel the length and breadth of the UK that there are more small hotels and b&bs who will take dogs than will take children. I know it sounds crazy but that's the way it is here. Go to France and it's totally different.They'll take dogs and children - everywhere!

The other dodge if you are aware of parents staying is to get the booker to book a separate room for the adults. The new modern halls usually have spare rooms though the old wooden halls often don't. but it's worth checking.

One final thought. I have on a number of occasions had to stop the show and go over to the parents and say, very quietly and nicely:

'Look. These children are only four years old. Their concentration level isn't high and I know you don't realise it and you don't mean to but you are making one hell of a racket. they are distracted and struggling to keep up. Please - keep it down and then they can concentrate and enjoy it. You'll have them back soon enough as it is without it being even sooner still because I've had to stop the show early.'

And give them a big, beaming smile. When the noise rises again, as it usually does, stop and say absolutely nothing. Just look at them and wait. One of two things will happen.

Either the adults notice you've stopped, the penny drops and they go quiet and you give them that big, beaming smile again - OR

the children will automatically go Schhhhhhhh! without you asking.

I'm afraid it is usually down to too much drink. Mothers together can shift more than enough to forget themselves specially if their husband is coming back to do the driving. Hazard of the job.

Come and live in Cheshire where you will be unlucky to find parents and children together!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I have not run into that problem for some time now guess I am just lucky but time to time it does happen and what I do is I have one trick that requires me to ask an adult a series of questions sooo if I see some adults or one in particular that is talking and the end of the one routine I will then say rather loudly

YOU I want to read your mind of course she is shocked and confused as she was in mid sentence BUT the message has been sent and they are usually quiet after the routine I use them for

one other piece of advice I can give
maybe me saying it does not happen often to me sounds a bit cocky but here is the deal
I created a VERY strong open with music and lots of flash this way no one can hear to talk and everyone is watching thus winning over the parents in the first 60 seconds

this has served me very well over the years in thousands of shows

good luck

sam

ps wish there was a way to just make them disapear huh that would cool:)
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I know this is the most difficult part of audience management for modern kids' entertainers. The truth is that there is no definitive answer. You need to develop different strategies, depending on circumstances.
Ideally, you will get the adults watching your show. That's the best solution - but when presenting a Birthday show, it's actually difficult. Because, you want your material to appeal to 5-year-olds, not 30-somethings. The only way to really make this happen, is to present the kids in such a light, that suddenly the mums and dads realise it's about THEIR KIDS, and not just some guy doing some sleight-of-hand.
When all else fails, it's important always to have a microphone and amp. If I do a show in a noisy bar or restaurant, I just crank up the volume. So, in an environment where adults are EXPECTED to be noisy like this, I don't attempt to shut them up.
It's great, though, when you have a gig like this, if after a couple of routines, the whole room is agog, watching your show!
Potty Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I perform a Family Magic Show with strong visual elements that will appeal to everyone and I throw in a few jokes for the adults (not off color just adult).

Having one effect that calls on an adult helps and if you see early indicators that there might be a problem a little announcement that later there will be an lucky adult who gets to help wouldn't hurt (I use invisible deck). You don't have to do it, just decide as you go.

Basically, if they are in the room I try to entertain them. I'd rather have them in the same room than loud in the next room.

I just added an amp to my Birthday show and that makes everything easier as well.

I don't know if you have much experience but I found this got MUCH better with time and experience.

- Mary Mowder
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I find it much easier to entertain a family audience than it is to entertain a room full of kids. The kids are much easier to handle when more parents are there. I always encourage parents to stay.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Ooooh, parents at parties, we love it!! The more the merrier, they can bring grandad and grandma too if they wish. We've always used amplification and have no issues at all with these modern trends of everyone staying behind. We get 'em all up to dance to us performing live music on keyboard and vocals, we do large marionettes and will walk them and sit them on an adult's lap, the magic routines we do are brisk and although I say it myself, - beautifully timed. Life's for enjoying, and at the age of just turned 60 it is an endless delight to me and to my wife (who is eternally 21). If anyone had told me back in the 70s when I was a pro. pianist that 35 years later I'd have regular dancefloors full of thirty-somethings and their little ones in 2010 I'd have never believed it!

. . . and just look at what a Showcase for recommendations these functions are. Everyone leaves with a photo of Tony and Sue complete with web address and telephone number.

Tony

http://www.pianisttonygayle.co.uk (my serious side!)
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
This used to be a frequent problem for me. Now it rarely is. Here's why. As part of my initial discussion with the person booking the show (usually a mom for a birthday party) I tell them that I encourage adults to attend and watch the show. But I warn the mom that if the adults want to socialize it is distracting for the children and she should make sure they go into another room and not spoil their kid's birthday entertainment. Usually this works.

Of course there is the occasional mom who is the biggest talker and socializer of them all--she doesn't care that her kid is the center of the attention in the magic show. Then it's more of a problem and I sometimes ask the parents if they will keep it down or move to another room.

I often perform large family shows, such as a first birthday celebration, sometimes in restaurants or community rooms. I know I'm going to have to fight against the hubbub of parents talking, sometimes also eating and drinking, while I'm performing. For those shows, I bring a big enough amp so the kids can hear me; and so can the parents that want to. Usually many of the parents do watch the show, but there is often a handful that just want to socialize and I probably wouldn't get their attention with a naked lady and a tiger.--Well, maybe a naked lady.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Also see: "Parents Talking in the Background" from 2002:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17

T.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
And the parents staying for the show is a problem why exactly?
When the KIDS become the ones that PAY THE FEES, THEN I will start to worry about it.
Remember, If they are watching you and getting involved as well as the kids are, THEY ARE NOT TALKING IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM!
Make the show FAMILY orianted, NOT just kid orianted.
It also tends to lead for more shows and bigger tips.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If parents start to talk during my show I simply tell them to keep quiet. If they keep it up I tell them quite loudly and forceably to shut up, they are spoiling things for the kids. That does the trick.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I also do a family show.

I've never been fond of the argument entertain the adults because they are paying for the show. It's a bit like hiring someone to paint the nursery and them painting the living room because the baby's not paying for it.

I think the reason you should be entertaining the parents is because when they're entertained the kids will be more entertained too (it's a bit like when you were a kid you would watch grown up sit-coms because you liked being in the room with them laughing, your sense of humour is developing at that age and if the adults are laughing then this justifies your humour to the children) and also the adults won't talk.

Once you have a family show (layer that bad boy) something I have found to make a world of difference is to make sure the adults are sitting somewhere were they can hear and enjoy the show. If you're in a hall drag seats to the back for the parents. In a house insist they come in rather than watch through the door from the hallway. Most parents will assume that it's "just for the kids" (ie not worth listening to) until you prove otherwise.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Parents interupting must be an English thing, my experience is that the more parents there are the smoother the show goes, and if only a few parents hang around it is less smooth.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Knight
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
318 Posts

Profile of Bill Knight
I LOVE having parents at my shows, it makes my job both easier & more rewarding. At the start of my show, I gather the children together and sit them on the floor.

There is always one or two who cling to mum or dad though so I announce, over my mic & amp, "that I have discovered over the years that children, especially the younger or more shy children, settle better and enjoy the show more if they know that you are close by so please, do me a favour, bring your chairs and just join on the back. I will be needing an adult helper at some point in the show but I promise not to pick on anyone who has come to join us, if you sit at the back of the room though, you take your chances."

This does many things at once, the children will behave better if mum & dad are right there with them, they will also give a bigger performance if picked to help because mum & dad are watching and also, the parents now feel like they are watching a show so socially accepted behaviour kicks in and they tend not to talk.

As for repeat bookings, it is easier for the children to persuade mum & dad to book me if they have just seen their child enjoying my show. It also means the parents & children can talk about the show afterwards instead of the following scenario: Mum, who didn't stay, comes to pick up up child, child is all excited and tries to tell mum about the show to which mum says, "oh, that's nice"...... end of conversation. Now that same child can talk about their favourite trick with a parent who saw the same trick. Oh, nearly forgot, the parents are just as entertained as the children, maybe for different reasons, ie: the child is loving being amazed, the parents are loving the look on their childs face etc but yes, I do play to the adults a bit too.

I don't know if I have explaned that very well but hey, I'm a magician not an english teacher.

Have fun

Bill
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
www.magicbill.co.uk
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I don't do that many birthdays, but I totally agree with Bill Knight. I would like all the parents to be there.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
"I've never been fond of the argument entertain the adults because they are paying for the show. It's a bit like hiring someone to paint the nursery and them painting the living room because the baby's not paying for it."

George, Please on't get what I wrote wrong. THE first priority is or should ALWAYS be the children, however, like Al, have always found it better when the adults are enjoying the show as well.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
On 2010-11-12 11:47, Bill Knight wrote:
I LOVE having parents at my shows, it makes my job both easier & more rewarding. At the start of my show, I gather the children together and sit them on the floor.

There is always one or two who cling to mum or dad though so I announce, over my mic & amp, "that I have discovered over the years that children, especially the younger or more shy children, settle better and enjoy the show more if they know that you are close by so please, do me a favour, bring your chairs and just join on the back. I will be needing an adult helper at some point in the show but I promise not to pick on anyone who has come to join us, if you sit at the back of the room though, you take your chances."

This does many things at once, the children will behave better if mum & dad are right there with them, they will also give a bigger performance if picked to help because mum & dad are watching and also, the parents now feel like they are watching a show so socially accepted behaviour kicks in and they tend not to talk.

As for repeat bookings, it is easier for the children to persuade mum & dad to book me if they have just seen their child enjoying my show. It also means the parents & children can talk about the show afterwards instead of the following scenario: Mum, who didn't stay, comes to pick up up child, child is all excited and tries to tell mum about the show to which mum says, "oh, that's nice"...... end of conversation. Now that same child can talk about their favourite trick with a parent who saw the same trick. Oh, nearly forgot, the parents are just as entertained as the children, maybe for different reasons, ie: the child is loving being amazed, the parents are loving the look on their childs face etc but yes, I do play to the adults a bit too.

I don't know if I have explaned that very well but hey, I'm a magician not an english teacher.

Have fun

Bill

Well said.