The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Not Sure about Kid Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
davbut50
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of davbut50
I'm new to the Café; however, I'm not new to kids or magic. I was thinking of gearing up for a Kid's show. I've read so many bad things about it, I'm not sure if I want to. I teach Middle School; however, I'm not sure I want to deal with the drama on weekends. Any thoughts on this perspective?

I would never put together a show over 30 minutes for any group of kids due to attention span. I would also not be willing to do shows for kids over the age of 10 because I do not enjoy herding cats. What to do?
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
I've found the magicians I know who enjoy kids shows just love working with kids generally. If you love teaching middle school, that will probably translate to an enjoyment of performing kids' magic. Either way, the only way to know for sure is to give it a shot without investing too much start-up capital. Do a show at your place of worship, if you belong to one. Perform for your friends' kids' parties.

As to your unwillingness to do shows over 30 minutes or perform for the tween-and-up crowd - that's fine. What to do about that is, don't book any shows longer than 30 minutes or for older kids. It's an easy thing to avoid. My standard birthday party shows are all 30 minutes long and I almost never get a request to go longer.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Kids shows are great, don't worry about it. If your doing under 10 there is even less to worry about, just buy and read (if you haven't already) Seriously Silly by David Kaye and make your magic great.

If your not new to kids and your not new to magic and your willing to respect that kids shows are there own type.

Again, if you magic and kids then doing kids magic is no problem.

I got suckered into my first kids show by being asked to do a birthday party for my then 5 year old cousin. I had never planned on doing magic for kids, but I figured if I was going to do it I had better do it right; I got Dan Harlan's b-day DVD and learned several routines that I thought would go over well. It wasn't my best show, but it was fun enough that I wanted to keep doing kids magic, ...and I still do.

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 10:59pm
For birthdays I always 30 minutes (but I will occasionally go over if everyone's really into it). For libraries I say 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how the crowd goes.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 22:57, seadog93 wrote:

I had never planned on doing magic for kids, but I figured if I was going to do it I had better do it right; I got Dan Harlan's b-day DVD and learned several routines that I thought would go over well. It wasn't my best show, but it was fun enough that I wanted to keep doing kids magic, ...and I still do.

Harlan's DVD is great as far as thinking about routining kids' shows. I can't speak for other magicians, but most of those routines wouldn't work for me. I got the impression - right or wrong - that Harlan doesn't do kids shows, but came up with one to make a DVD.

Still, if you incorporate his show-planning advice - and here I also recommend his "More than meets the eye" lecture notes - it will improve your kids' show and make the whole process easier.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I don't do any of his routines anymore, but I still like a lot of them. Your right though, the thinking is very good.

Dan Harlan actually posted on this subject somewhere. He used to do a lot of birthday shows and would get a very high percentage of the kids asking there parents to have him again the next year. That was all doing the show that he presented on the tape.

I haven't seen his lectures notes but I'll definitely check it out.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I guess 85-90% of my shows are for kids. Overall I love them but I must say that sometimes they can be a pain. You have some kids believing they know how it's done.
You have some kids that are nosy and they try to look at your props while you are busy doing something else.
Since you teach middle school you will have no problem, especially with the younger children.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh MAN! good point. Protect you props and put them all away immediately after the show!
:)

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 20:48, davbut50 wrote: I would also not be willing to do shows for kids over the age of 10 because I do not enjoy herding cats. What to do?

Herding cats? What does that have to do with an age group that basically wants an excellent entertaining and genuinely funny show with fantastic sleight-of-hand? It's not their fault that they don't want a kiddy show with kiddy humor and kiddy props.

Kids 10 and over are a great audience if you have an entertaining act and you've got the chops and the personality to back it up.

Hey, if you're scared, say you're scared but don't blame that age group for not being a great audience.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My wife is a retired teacher and I can fully understand you not wanting to be around them all weekend.

The only thing bad about kids show are many who do them. If you enjoy little kids then you have half the battle won, if you understand them that is the other half. The simple fact is you only have to accept the gigs you want to accept. If you only want to work with under seven then you take those and tell the caller you're sorry but can't do the party for them if they are older or you just don't want to.

If you have any problems let us know and seadog93, tgs, or myself will give you the right answer after others have responded.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Davbut50,

I often tell parents that a 30 min show is best for young kids but the parents want to fill time.

Frankly, I think 30 min. is long enough for any show at a party. It feels weird to the audience to go to a party and watch a show for longer. I think people in a room full of people they know would like to talk to them.

Still, I do book shows for longer than I feel comfortable with regularly and I have to say It works out fine.

- Mary Mowder
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mary knows too....
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Working with kids five days a week and then giving up your weekends for shows may be a bit to much. One does need a break.

A 30 minute show is not 30 minutes, there is set-up and breakdown time and travel time. Loading up van, gas, and insurance.

You must really love kids to do this 6-7 days a week.
Dennis Michael
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I don't know of anyone this side of the pond who would do a show for les than 45minutes. Most of us run the full two hour party!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yikes! that's games and such plus Magic or all Magic? If you run games, do you do it alone or bring an assistant or does "Mom" help?

I don't think I could watch a 2 hour Magic Show, let alone preform one. I don't envy you but I respect you ColinDymond.

- Mary Mowder
Bill Knight
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
318 Posts

Profile of Bill Knight
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 03:59, ColinDymond wrote:
I don't know of anyone this side of the pond who would do a show for les than 45minutes. Most of us run the full two hour party!

I also do a 45 minute show or a 2 hour party as do most of the other magicians that I know, I think children (and parents) here would feel cheated if we only did 30 mins.

On the main subject, when I started I was never going to do kids shows because "I was a serious magician" I am so glad that I grew out of that, I love doing kids shows now, I love the interaction before, during and after the show but, if I'm honest (and I am), the thing that keeps me going back for more, is the sound of children's laughter.

I do have a question though, being a teacher should equip you with the knowledge to become a magician but, once the children see you as a magician, and then maybe find themselves in your class, will that detract from you being a teacher or undermine your authority? I am asking this out of curiosity only and NOT trying to stop you having a go, as I said, childrens magic is a fantastic way to make a living.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope that you have fun with it.

Bill
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
www.magicbill.co.uk
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Supervising children 40 hours a week in school and entertaining children for 30 or 45 minutes on weekends are two different things. In my opinion the later is much easier. You are presenting a polished, prepared show with all the bells and whistles.

Likewise, when a parent compliments me on my patience with children, I humbly say, “entertaining children for 45-minutes is easy, you as a parent have the difficult job. You’re entertaining, supervising and role modeling 24/7.” I raised 5 children of my own, so I know this to be true.

About their behavior, and there are definably times when it is uncomfortable, I don’t take if personally. If I did I don’t see how I could do this for a living. I’ve actually grown to where I laugh (inside) at how rude children can be sometimes.

Quote:
On 2010-11-01 00:45, MagicSanta wrote:
If you have any problems let us know and seadog93, tgs, or myself will give you the right answer after others have responded.

Really? Over 45,000 members of the Magic Café and only 4 people are to be listened to? How ridiculous!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
And quite normal in this section....
You and I Ken know nothing!
Dennis Michael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If your heart isn't in it don't do it. Wrangling a room full of kids celebrating a birthday is not for the faint of heart. Yes there are 45,000 members of the magic Café, but only a few members are brave enough to venture into "the little darlings".
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Santa,

I appreciate the vote of confidence but Ken is right.

I'm guessing there are a lot of great performers here but the fact is I haven't seen most of them, good or bad and neither have you. Besides even if we had seen them all, we don't all like the same things.

We can read people's advice and decide whether to follow it or not. It is possible to give good advice but be a poor performer. It is also possible to give advice about things that work for you personally but would be disastrous for a beginner (or a different character) to try.

The strength of the Café is in the differing perspectives and I'm very sure there are more than a handful (picked by you) that are worth listening to.

- Mary Mowder
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 11:17, Al Angello wrote:
If your heart isn't in it don't do it. Wrangling a room full of kids celebrating a birthday is not for the faint of heart. Yes there are 45,000 members of the magic Café, but only a few members are brave enough to venture into "the little darlings".

Quite true Al.
Some find it quite easy some don't. Most times it's got to do with experience and confidence.
Tricky Ricky.

Posted: Nov 1, 2010 4:11pm
We can read people's advice and decide whether to follow it or not. It is possible to give good advice but be a poor performer. It is also possible to give advice about things that work for you personally but would be disastrous for a beginner (or a different character) to try.

The strength of the Café is in the differing perspectives and I'm very sure there are more than a handful (picked by you) that are worth listening to.

- Mary Mowder
[/quote]
Well said Mary.
Different strokes for different folks.
Tricky Ricky