The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: 9 yr olds party... question.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Does anyone ever come away from one of those with a 10/10 score?

I always mark myself after any (kids or adults) show, and I get the odd full score..but I think this was a difficult crowd.

15 kids, fresh from bowling, and scoffing fizzy drinks and cake…. I knew it was going to be that way, so, I programmed short routines.. sponge bunnies, etc…
They were, in the main, innatentive.. ☺

However, it was only half an hour.. It went ok, crowd control being the main focus, but afterwards, I thought.. Could I EVER have made a 10/10 out of that?

Parents were over the moon, and I’m sure the kids, when they stop to think about it – will agree it was a great show.

I’m pretty sure there’s no answer to this.
I got paid – the parents were happy, the kids? They could have been on the moon, and never noticed the change in atmosphere…

That makes it the best of a bad job, I suppose.

If you want only self-gratification – don’t take the “iffy” jobs…!! ☺

My thoughts,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Kudos for self evaluating your shows. Your question is keeping the attention of pre-teens with too much sugar/caffeine? There isn't a "best answer" for this. So much advice is situational. Were you in a party room or out in the bowling area? Audible distractions are very hard to combat.

Did you have a running gag or did you pre-announce any routines/effects? Anticipation uses up some of that energy and helps to keep focus. "When will he do it?" "Will he pour out the water again?(lota bowl)" The only other thing I can suggest is to be able to harness and then re-direct their energy.

My name is Wes Holly and I approved this post Smile
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
9 year olds are a strange crowd because although they may be the same age some are still little kids but most have crossed over into (very) young adult thinking. You almost have to treat it as a family show, which is never a bad idea anyway.

They start to be super sensitive about getting a little kid show at nine but may lack the attention span, as a group, to follow most Mental Magic. Avoid Baby tricks and make the Magic Strong and visual.

With iffy jobs and self evaluation comes growth. I have never done a Show that I didn't think could have been improved by some aspect of my performance. You have to do the best you can with the crowd you get and your current skill set.

- Mary Mowder
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mary be right...you'll see I describe 'young nine' and 'older nine' because they are different. Girls are way smarter at that age and more polite than boys. Boys are often very bad and if you did actual magic ala really had powers they still wouldn't be impressed.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
I had a show yesterday, a 9 yr olds b-day. The kids were drinking soda and playing flag football for at least a hour before the show, I had hoped it would have tired 'em out some but nay...that was not the case.

During my show the b-day boy lost interest about ten mintues into the act, kept twisting around in his seat, getting up and grabbing a football or something, thankfully he was the only one but it was difficult to keep him focused. Of course I would use him as an assistant and give him important things to do like yank a rope thru my neck or stick his finger in a chopper but eventually I just gave up on him and concetrated on all his friends and family members, flirted with his grandma...heck, the party is for them also.

But I was let down by his disinterest (is that even a word?)because I am a COOL magician and I could tell his parents were let down to. So I plowed on with the show, in a good way and ended with the straitjacket which gained back the b-day boy's interest since I put his Dad into it first.

Is this type of behaviour becoming a trend? because all summer I have had pretty much this same issue where kids of all ages just can't be bothered with sitting still and watching a live entertainer.

Might I add this certain b-day boy was singing the praises of a Mr. Criss Angel, how he walked up walls and cut coins from his arm and all kinds of crazy stuff, might this childs expectations been set too high?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes you can expect more of it. The reference to Criss Angel is dead on because not only do the kids get an image of what magic is in their mind their parents often tell them what you'll be doing which you never planned on doing. There is a certain age, usually nine, where boys are bored by everything. It is cool to be bored and disrupt and they know that for the most part no one will stop them. They don't have to behave or listen at home, they don't have to behave or listen at school, they don't have to be polite in any circumstance, why should they be polite and pay attention to your show? You are not flying across the highway from one hotel to another so why bother? Nine through mid teens are worse age to perform for in the case of boys in a pack. Not impossible, just they are horrible little humans. Girls are usually better because they are certainly smarter.

There is a certain class of parent, usually middle class who actually parent, that the kids behave better but that is due to parenting. I've done some parties for very wealthy people who likely wouldn't have cared if the kids bbq'd me as long as they were not bothered.

So if you do nine plus age kids you have to hit them right between the eyes with strong magic right from the get go or you'll lose 'em.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

I have noticed that as of late kids have been worse off in the behavioral department, blame it on attention defict dissorder, autism, my old age and lack of temprament or whatever I really think it's the way the kids are raised, the educational system and it's practices, the advent of modern technology, media bombardment and what have you. I have noticed the difference in just a few short years. One must remember kids are smarter than you think and will go along with what suits them if it gets them their way...human nature to play along with it.

Also I felt as though the magician was considered by the adults as more or less an overpaid babysitter, which I get more from the upper and middle class crowd then the more rural and country folk...wonder why that is!?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Because you are right Christopher! It is, I believe, that to some people paying for a magician is not much and they figure it is a distraction for the kids, for others it is a major output of money for their kids and they want them to appreciate it.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-10-11 01:25, MagicSanta wrote:
Because you are right Christopher! It is, I believe, that to some people paying for a magician is not much and they figure it is a distraction for the kids, for others it is a major output of money for their kids and they want them to appreciate it.

I hate it MagicSanta, I really do. I would much rather perform for those that appreciate me than those that think I'm a babysitter, unless I get paid really fricken good man. That's why yesterday I flirted with an elderly woman and stuck my tongue out at her wiggling it all around before I shoved a spike thru it, shook me *ss in front of a bunch of married women and had homoerotic comedy and byplay with the b-day boys Dad while putting him into the straitjacket...HEY, I had to amuse myself someway in a bad situation.

I would like to add something before I go and that is this, get to know your demographic man...get their address and then goof=gle that sh*t while on the phone with the client. If this person is calling from a neighborhood that is known to house folk that have good money then charge double what you would normally charge, go for it because it can't hurt and you may end up with a show that actually pays what you are worth...an expensive fricken babysitter man!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was working the bay area and knew the demographics. I'll be honest, if they called from certain areas I charged more, if they call from a less well to do area I will reduce the rate because, dang it, those kids deserve to have a good party too.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-10-10 21:26, MagicSanta wrote:
....if you do nine plus age kids you have to hit them right between the eyes with strong magic right from the get go or you'll lose 'em.

I disagree. I think it's more important to empathise with your audience. Once your audience like you, you can do anything you want. OK, that's really a bit tongue I cheek - I would agree that 9-year olds like strong magic. Although Rope through Neck and the Finger Chopper are sort of suitable for 9-year olds, I can imagine certain groups looking at these effects with disdain. At the very least, you need a Disecto, or even better, a head chopper. For this age group I always offer a few close-up tricks before the main show starts. Most kids of this age enjoy close-up magic at least as much as stage magic. Card tricks, coin tricks, bottle tricks, etc.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I had what I believe was an awful show a few weeks ago. It was 8 year olds, but they were 13 year olds hidden inside the body of 8 year olds. I now treat 8 year olds as I used to treat 9 year olds. They get the "family" show.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I agree James. Once they are around 8, they are ready for a family show.
And often down to 6.

For those of you that continue to bring your wacky kiddy props and your horrible puns and silly kids tricks and your "golly gee wilikers" patter to kids shows ages 6 and over.... you do so at your own risk.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have never had a problem with nine year olds. They are a pleasure to work with, because they get more subtle gags, and I can do nice things with them.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Wow this is so weird this came up. Must be something in the water. Last weekend I had a terrible show due to one loud mouth 9 year old girl and her ability to get her 3 other friends AND the little kids to rebell.

OK I broke some rules I normally have which made it worse.
Normally, I tell parents to deflate the bounce castle and that I should perform away from any distractions.
This was an outdoor party, catored and kids left to me to handle. Since there were also little kids and the bounce castle was on the other side of the yard, I did not force them to deflate. The reason was in the past I have learned parents can not like you if you do not give anything for the toddlers to do.
I should have had them turn all the set up chairs but since the castle was not in full site, I let it go.
Behind me was the stairs to the deck with traffic flow and to the left of me was tables and a tent with some food being severed.
Again I should have had them turn the chairs but I was trying to be accomodating.
I realize it was a mistake to do that.

Normally I do not talk while setting up. The younger kids get worked up but in a fun way tyring to figure if I can speak and then I can set up without getting into allot of dialog.

This is the first time this has every happened. The one 9 year old girl started yelling at me. She was not happy I was not speaking to her and got her friends to start calling me "Magic Fart" OK I did not even blink.
I turned on my preshow music and drowned them out.
I also made sure my mic was going to be loud.

THe show started fine becuase the mother of the 1 year old was there.
While the GIRLS were loud they got into the routines for a while.

But then one got up to get food and came back. Another rule I try to have is no food or drink. However being an outdoor party it seemed fine.
But that let them know that they could come and go I guess.
Once the B-day sacked out from his bottle the mother and child left and then it went downhill.

They eventually started to trickle away to the bounce house. Then when one of the older kids came up to help for Necklace Quest, I turned away and back and she was GONE! Then no other younger child wanted to help.
The funny thing was that I do an Axtell bird routine since this was a mixed age party and those 9 year old girls LOVED the routine. One said, "The bird is on OUR SIDE."
The older girls were acting up so I told them they could leave. OK again a mistake but I figured why fight them? But then the little kids ran off a minute later. An adult couple who were sitting in the back and NOT helping control the kids, just watched this unfold. I even was at the point of saying " I can perform for just one,I get paid the same. The couple laughed.

I just ended the show and started balloon sculpting since this was a 2 hour show. I have never lost 95% of the audience so I was a bit frustrated but as I pointed out, have found most of my mistakes.

But that was not the worst of it. When the kids saw the balloons they came flooding back making a LINE. I told them I do not make balloons that way and to sit down, THEY REFUSED. They would not listen so I said I told them I was putting them away. I put them in my trunk and they rushed me. Trying to get into the trunk! I had to put my foot on it and then looking at the two adults, who did nothing, said "I need an adult here. I am an entertainer not a policeman"
You do not know how bad I wanted to yell at them. I never know if an earlier snape at them would have have shown them I was not a toy to be played with or if I did raise my voice, would I be looked at by the adults as mean.

So the couple finally did rush off for the adult and I camly just stood there with my foot on my trunk kids trying to get in the box.

The little kids were following the older kids. They figured if they could do it they would do it and I was not an adult but a clown. (kick the clown )

The father who was only feet away, was surprised I needed help. He did not even notice this turmoil going on only feet away. The tall father was meek and did nto yell at them. But he did get them to sit down.

Then the kids, even the 9 year olds were angels. Still a bit wild but left me alone. They then even would come up and ask nice questions. I even asked them why they were so mean earlier and the basic attitude was they thought it was funny and fun...

I think it would have been fine if I had not broken some of my rules or made the show indoors.

Distractions are the biggest reason one can loose control. If they have a reason to stray they can. I hate outdoor events from parties to fairs since there is just added ambient distractions due to it being outdoors.

I have noticed 9 year old girls to be more agressive over the years. It used to be 10 year old boys but they do not phase me.

I think girls know boys can not hit them so they translate that to that they can get awawy with more. Sort of like the woman who mouths off at some jerk in a parking lot but the boy friend is the one who gets popped. I think these girls know they can mouth off more and not get in trouble.

AND for the last 7-10 years parents do not police kids that they do not know in fear of having trouble. This is a shame. I think the couple watching all of this did not have one kid at the party or knew the kids so they just did not think they had the right to tap one on the shoulder and tell them to behave.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I rate my own shows also, but a 10/10 would involve a standing ovation at Carnegie Hall. I do hit a 9/9 from time to time.

I don't subscribe to the notion that kids today are fundamentally different than they ever were. I think that a group of 9 year old boys in the 50's or 70's or 90's might have been just as restless and inattentive as in 2010. They have more to distract them now, but kids that age have never thought grown-ups were all that interesting. It still depends on the particular group and set of circumstances, and of course the performer. That's not a slam by the way, I've had plenty of shows where the kids were less than attentive, and plenty where they were totally into it.

I don't know how old you are Mr. Rinaldi, but I have to say, if you are over 25 or 30 and you are trying to be a cool anything to a bunch of 9 year olds, you are trying to do a very difficult thing. Grown-ups are generally not cool to kids. Rock stars get a pass until they're a little older, but the rest of us have to accept that kids don't think we're cool once we're pushing 30. I gave up on cool a long time ago. You have to let your stage character age with the awareness of how kids actually see us. I WORK with this perception that I'm a round little middle-aged guy. They see it, no use pretending I'm not what I clearly am. And to expect kids (or the public in general) to understand the difference between what we do and what Criss Angel does is unrealistic.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 20:41, TonyB2009 wrote:
I have never had a problem with nine year olds. They are a pleasure to work with, because they get more subtle gags, and I can do nice things with them.

Yep. That's the idea. Treat them like babies and you're in for big trouble!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-10-11 21:23, Mr. Pitts wrote:
I rate my own shows also, but a 10/10 would involve a standing ovation at Carnegie Hall. I do hit a 9/9 from time to time.

I don't subscribe to the notion that kids today are fundamentally different than they ever were. I think that a group of 9 year old boys in the 50's or 70's or 90's might have been just as restless and inattentive as in 2010. They have more to distract them now, but kids that age have never thought grown-ups were all that interesting. It still depends on the particular group and set of circumstances, and of course the performer. That's not a slam by the way, I've had plenty of shows where the kids were less than attentive, and plenty where they were totally into it.

I don't know how old you are Mr. Rinaldi, but I have to say, if you are over 25 or 30 and you are trying to be a cool anything to a bunch of 9 year olds, you are trying to do a very difficult thing. Grown-ups are generally not cool to kids. Rock stars get a pass until they're a little older, but the rest of us have to accept that kids don't think we're cool once we're pushing 30. I gave up on cool a long time ago. You have to let your stage character age with the awareness of how kids actually see us. I WORK with this perception that I'm a round little middle-aged guy. They see it, no use pretending I'm not what I clearly am. And to expect kids (or the public in general) to understand the difference between what we do and what Criss Angel does is unrealistic.

Hey man, cool is cool it's all about attitude, I grew up with Fonzi as one of my heros. I may be pushing 41 but believe me kids of all ages think I'm cool. The only kids of any age that may not think I'm cool are my own fricken kids, but if ya ask in all seriousness if I'm cool they will respond with a resounding yes. They know what cool is for I have taught them well.

That's right I am a cool Granpa.

Trying to be cool like Cris Angel, is he cool or merely hip...even I do not dress and act in such a way, it's almost disgracful for a man of his age all emo and gothic, for shame.

And yes I do contemplate on aging my character appropriatly, like when I'm 50 should I still be dropping my pants for a part of my routine or would it just hit the creep factor at that point.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Right, yes, I'm almost 50 and I have noticed I've had to change some things in my act over the last ten years. I'm pretty aware of my audience and I can tell if they're even a little creeped out by my material. I think some of the stuff I've taken out could be put back in again in ten more years. In all honesty I was never very cool, so if you can pull it off then you've got it. I didn't say it was impossible, just difficult.. especially for me.

As far as Criss Angel, I do wonder how he's going to make the transition to an older look. At some point he'll have to. At a certain point the attempt to appear young and hip has the opposite effect.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have to differ about the cool thing too. I did a show saturday night for a school and I had the 5 year olds and I had the 10 year old girls all rushing up for autographs and wanting to take pictures with me. I think it's how you relate to them and how much fun they have with you.

On the flip side, I had an outside show two weeks ago that was awful. (Weird because most of my shows go so well but lately...) Anyway, I arrive to find they have no shade so I at least move the kids into a shaded area. I start the show and the pizza arrives so the mom and grandmom walk in front of my show and start feeding their child! Right in the middle of the show. I finally get the message across that maybe we should wait till later for that in the form of a joke and they get the message and retreat. Then the aunt comes up beside me with a camera, bends down, and starts posing the birthday boy and starts a conversation with him WHILE I'M doign the show! Then the dad walks over, says I look hot (no s**t, I'm in the sun) and he hands me a budweiser! Then the kids start getting up and getting food and coming back. I finally order them to wait till after to get more food and they do. So what do you do? You put a bag over your head, finish, cut lines that no one is going to hear anyway because they're not listening, pack up and get the check. While I'm waiting to get paid, another dad comes up to me and says "Great show by the way!" I'm thinking, that wasn't really my show, buddy. I say, "Thank you, sir." Moral of the story in four words: "Welcome to Beverly Hills."

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...