The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Compact but hard hitting tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
I'm looking to add some new tricks to my show. I use a VERY compact act, as I sometimes do 4-5 shows a day on weekends, so I need some very compact, but hard hitting tricks for kids 4-10.

Any ideas?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
What do you already do so we don't repeat? Also, it's not the trick so much it's the presentation. I could tell you cut and restored rope, but that doesn't explain my original routine which is a highlight of my show and really really gets the kids and parents roaring and entertained.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
How about color changing "Compact" discs??? LOL could not resist... ok, so I'm the only one that thinks it's funny, bite me!!
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Color changing CD's is a good one though! At least to add some color to the show (if you need that) and is, of course, compact as Calamari points out.

There are a number of effects which advertise that they fold up (as a means to show they are empty or for storage), these would be a good choice, something like a take apart vanish.

something that I used to do that, and for the life of me I could not tell you why, seemed to amaze people - was the circle to square. Inexpensive, packs very very small.

If you're not already doing sponges, that is a good way to go.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Another thought is to call up Hank Lee, Magic Depot or other stores and ask them what they have that packs flat, they will be glad to assist you.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I assume the 4 shows a day on weekends are birthdays, not stage work. Also there is a bige difference between 4 and 10. Card, coin & geek magic work well with older kids. Arm twist & Finger fantasy pack pretty flat *G*. Rope, ring, sponge ball (I like 3D Sponge Rabbits). Linking rings, Axtel boards, pack pretty flat. Misers dream isn't large.

All in all (to save everyone time), the presentation makes or breaks the show. My two current favorites, Axtel board and misers dream both can be performed so that will bore people to tears, or they can rock the house. The nice thing is they work well in a living room or on stage with 400 kids.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Lately I've been doing a very simple paddle trick (one paddle with an x drawn on one side) for all ages. it is only a little in betweener routine that lasts about a minute but adds that magical moment and gets a laught when I get a kid to 'throw' an X onto the stick and it 'hits' me in the eye by mistake.

I can easily pull this off in a hall with 30 - 70 people on the audience and have gone as far as audiences with 70 and above.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
John
Are you a SAM4 member? On May 15th I will be competing in our stage competition, so if you vote for me I will teach you my 10 minute routine on May 15th.
BE THERE OR BE SQUARE
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Crystal silk cylinder, coloring book, 20th century silks (make up a story), vanish a cup of water with slush powder (simple, but kids always ask me about it after the show).

Jim
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I don't think you can beat a little real sleight of hand to impress kids and adults alike. I'm putting more hand magic in my kid shows and getting great response. Not formal manipulation done to music, but pulling a coin from the helpers ear before going into the main trick kind of thing. I've also added a little thimble manipulation, I'm also doing salt passe passe and a bill switch with our old friend the TT. The middle-school kids who usually act too cool to like magic are especially impressed, and I think the appeal of hand magic is universal and appreciated in this day and age when people see so little live magic.
Marc the Magic Man
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
What's Next is great, and packs flat. You can also get lots of mileage out of a change bag. The Pom Pom stick is great, too.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Kevin Mc Lean
View Profile
New user
Kevin Mc Lean
57 Posts

Profile of Kevin Mc Lean
Some classics before.

My vote is for silk effects and you gotta love those sponge balls.

Oh, Rocky Raccoon plays wells to the younger ones - 'specially if you have a few lines, ham it up, get real silly with squeakers and such and do something like have him jump through a ring.

In fact, with a real young set you could almost do an act around him - I'm sure someone has...

Best Wishes,

Kevin Mc Lean.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Two effects that I have received good response from are Cue Card by Brad Manuel and Dinamo Spot Card from Nielsen Magic. The first is an excellent opener for your warm up activities and the second goes well with a great rhyming routine that's available from Vancouver magician Matthew Johnson.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I agree with JamesinLA, "it's the presentation". I could do a wide variety of magic with a piece of rope that can entertain kids for a solid half hour. Yeah, a four foot piece of rope in the pocket is all I need.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Spotty / Measles Bag
Pet Store Pranks / Wing It
Silk Blow Tube
Tail Spin

Check out Sammy Smith's site @ http://www.spsmagic.com He offers many good packs flat effects.

Fearless Fred

http://www.timsonefelt.com/cgi-bin/magic_store/cp-app.cgi
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Egg Bag, miser's dream, Knots Funny ........... almost no set up time, and each one is worth from 5 to 8 minutes of fun.
Although it's not magic, don't overlook 'The Letter'.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I tend to be a packs light type of guy, maybe not so flat which I feel really gives me many more options. I don't mind bringing in Bigger Wands when the whole thing maybe weighs 2 pounds. Kandu's Knot Funny, sure it's a box but, again, very light. My misers dream weighs as much as either of these props. Sammy Smith's (and all those he borrowed from) Puff the Magic Rabbit is great for the little one's and adults watching them. Not for the smallest but needle through the balloon can be tons of fun. With small intimate groups, you can't beat sponge bunnies/balls and the egg bag is fantastic. There is an entire show that weighs less than 10 lbs. Your tables will weigh more.

Good luck,

Derrick
magicsantana
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magicsantana
Darl's acrobatic knot
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Another pack flat item is the Chameleon Bag or the inside out bag which can be turned inside out 7 times. Mine has a zippered pocket and its nice to keep a surprise in the last cloth section like a small sized rubber chicken and you can have another surprise the zippered compartment.
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
A nice colorful and compact trick is a silk fountain to large peacock (or what ever you have.) People love to watch that. Plays big packs small.
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."