The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Best Coloring Book for Stage Use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
If this is not the right place in the Café, I'd be grateful if monitors move my inquiry.

I get great reaction to the Coloring Book (CB) changes when performing in school class rooms. I'd like to incluce my CB routine in a show for about 100 children - all ages. The CB I have is too small.

Is there a CB big enough for the stage?

Will handling it be different? Thanks
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
INMOTION
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
167 Posts

Profile of INMOTION
See the below link. I have used the x-large before, and they are a little stiffer to work with than the others, however after you break it in a little, it will work fine. Hope this helps.

Use the arrow down key to select size, and you will see the dimensions for each listed as well!

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=FL1508
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I have done the colouring book for groups well above the 100 mark. I still use the standard. They don’t need to make out exactly what the picture is of, but the fact that is has been coloured or erased.
I have the extra large but don’t use it as I think the quality is below that of the standard 8.5 x 11.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You don't need to use a coloring BOOK to perform the routine. Instead, try making a large "Portrait of Grandma" as shown in The Wizards' Journal #9 (on my site). If the clown joke isn't for you, any black and white line drawing which changes to a full color version will work just as well.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I agree with Ryan - go with the standard size 8.5 X 11 for a crowd of 100. I've even done it for a crowd of 250+ and it's worked fine. I tried the X-Large one, but it's not THAT much bigger, to be honest, and the stiffness in the workings of it made it less impressive than the standard size one, IMHO. Best of luck, Jeff
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1699 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I used to perform the standard sized colouring book to 300 people at a time. You can see what's happening with it fine.
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I second SpellBinder's post. I recently bought this routine and it is GOLD!

Sammy the Kid
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I use it a ALWAYS and have a great reaction of kids and even adults,
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Coloring books are so easy to make, it might be best to create one based on the theme of the show.
Dennis Michael
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Years ago I saw Danny Orleans take an oversized coloring book and turn it into a magic coloring book. It was great because you could see it no matter where you were sitting in the auditorium.

I'd suggest you just buy several oversized coloring books, like he did, and just make up one for yourself.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/html/p9592.htm

Tony Daniels DVD shows you how to make you own Coloring Book.

Great DVD.....fillled with a lot of great stuff you can make yourself.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I have the standard 3 way coloring book and a 6 way coloring book. The 6 way coloring book gives you a lot more bang than the standard 3 way. The kids recognize what is happening easily in a group of at least 50 kids. That is the largest I have performed it for. I am not sure about larger size audiences.

The one I have is the standard size, but with six changes of course.

What you could do is just get a normal coloring book, color in some of the pages, and try it out with a few test subjects to see if they can see what is going on for a crowd that size, then decide which book or size of book to get.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Everyone,
Tbanks for all helpful tips, all I was hopeing for and more!

Habu,
Thanks for the lesson to 'keep thinking.' I would not have thought on my own of increaseing the number of changes. Now I see that with increased book size, more changes do become easier. The only thing I can think of immediately to use these additional possible changes for is to have the standard 3 come in progressively.
Maybe there are better alternatives? Have the children help me complete the book?

All, I appreciate your great responses.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
The Bible coloring book is the best one I've ever seen produced by Doc Haley. I wish they put out ones for regular performances that were that well made...I'm not to hand in putting something together myself...lol