The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: No Latex? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
I had the privilege of performing at a local Children's Hospital yesterday for an event they had. I have a Balloon Wand, and was going to perform it. I had it ready to go, and before the event started the coordinator came up to me and told me it had to go, as the Hospital has a strict No Latex policy. The coordinator also had the hall decked out in balloons before hand and had to get rid of them all do to the policy.

So as an FYI if you do any performances in Hospitals check their policy to make sure you comply.

And if anyone knows of a non-latex based balloon that would work in these situations (Mylar would not work for these tricks like the balloon wand or a balloon to bunny box) let me know.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Some elementary schools also have this policy and notice on their front doors.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I just came back from Twist&Shout the balloon convention and several professionals said that the hospitals are starting to loosen up on balloons and saying that flowers are more dangerous. Go figure.

Alexa
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Balloons go through a dipping bath process that leeches out the protein that people are allergic to. Most people are totally unaware of this and just make irrational calls on policy when it comes to latex.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_A2QI9Oes

Lyndel
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Really? Is that Qualatex, Bettaltex, or what? That would be a great advertising point.

Alexa
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
At the end of the video, it does show a qualitex bag
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Alexa
We missed you and dad the other night, you missed a very good meeting.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Shoot.... Does this mean I have to wallet at home?

Sorry, Once a clown - always a clown!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
ANYONE know if Qualitex has a company web site???

I went all over google and could not find one!

I would love to have a printout of the official statement on the bath process that Qualitex does that leeches out the protein that people are allergic to!

I think this would be very valuable to keep with me in my showcase!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 17:34, magicmanfrank wrote:
ANYONE know if Qualitex has a company web site???

I went all over google and could not find one!

Hi Frank -

Plenty of sites came up when I typed in Pioneer Balloon Company.

Also, for searching the brand of balloons, it's spelled Qualatex with a second "a". Some people accidently spell it with an "i" between the "l" and the "t".

This site for the Balloon Council, which I found off of the Qualatex site, does talk about latex alergies as being a valid concern to some:

http://www.balloonhq.com/BalloonCouncil/faq.html#risk

http://www.balloonhq.com/BalloonCouncil/facts.html#latex

- Donald

P.S. I still have a Ninja Turtles balloon book from you back in the 80's. Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 17:44, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:

I still have a Ninja Turtles balloon book from you back in the 80's. Smile

Wow! YOU'RE the Guy that bought the OTHER One!!!

Treasure that! Someday it will be worthless!

*haha* Just kidding! Smile

I loved making that book!!! It was my VERY FIRST publication!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

engineer_star
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of engineer_star
To Yfoog, Thank you for the "INFO". I had never heard of this before today. I,too, use balloons in my act.
Sam
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I've heard of hospitals banning the use of balloons here in the UK. Does anyone know if they have a problem with latex puppets (like the Axtell ones) or is it just balloons that will be passed out to the children?
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Don't tell them the puppets are made with latex. They won't think of it.

Alexa
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Yup!

Don't ask, Don't tell!

=Frank=

Frank Thurston

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I say if they refuse our balloons, it's all out war!

http://ingesidee.de/resourceviewer.php?pgid=63

Lyndel
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
About 10+ years ago, I did some magic shows at the local hospital, and animal balloons (or regular balloons) weren't allowed back then either.

I just chose different show material.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
I just did a show with balloons we just got from China. These are latex free balloons made entirely from LEAD! Of course you can imagine how the show went over....
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I'm more than a little shocked at the "don't ask - don't tell" philosophy suggested in regards to the latex issue. Obviously you're not aware of the serious reactions that can occur when some who is allergic to latex comes in contact with the substance. It doesn't even need to be a handling.....latex components can become airborne and cause life threatening reactions to those with the allergy. I think performers whow work in hospitals owe it to the patients and their families as well as the hospital staff to respect and honor the limitations placed on bringing latex into their environment.

Turn the tables for a moment: If the hospitals had a "don't ask - don't tell policy" regarding infectious and contagious patients, and it was "Russian Roulette" with every hospital room door you opened, would you be concerned?

I say "Respect and comply with the hospital requirements, or show them that the materials you intend to bring in are indeed safe, or find another way to entertain the patients." If your child had a life threatening allergic reaction to latex as a result of some clown's "don't ask - don't tell" policy, how would you react???
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I think that is blowing things out of proportion. I just don't see a need to mention that the puppet is made with latex, unless the hospital asks you if you use latex in your show. You, the performer, handling the puppet, is very different than giving a latex balloon to a child. However, like has also been noted, many of these hopsitals are unfamilar with what is safe and what isn't, as Qualatex balloons go through that bathing process and some are now allowing balloons IN LIEU of flowers (which have been fine for a long, long time) I don't see a reason to be OVERLY cautious, just plain catious is enough.

Alexa