The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Tips on performing Passing Water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Hi,

Any tips on performing the Kovari Passing water please Smile

With music or with patter?

Thanks Smile

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Patter - perform on a good-natured kid or assistant "ungimmicked" (where water starts spilling on their shirt), and then ask kids what are their favorite drinks to spill (all kids love to spill) or what drinks they spill most often.

Then tell them you have a magic invisible "spill guard," put it on a volunteer, and perform the trick.

I ordered the comedy drill from Hank Lee like three months ago and have never received. Does anyone have that? Is it a good addition? How about Passing Water in combo with the comedy funnel? Anyone got suggestions/routine ideas about how they combined these?

Regards,

Todd
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Thanks Todd Smile

I don't know anything bout the Combo but isn't it redundant to do both Passing Water and the Funnel? Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
May be redundant. But it may be fun to use different methods and different parts of the body . . .

With the spill guard, perhaps you could use a child's bib when you do it the first time, so the liquid spills on the bib rather than the kid (also you get the fun of having older kid wear bib or apron or whatever you can get which deflects liquid and goes down to the volunteer's waist). I've only done the "invisible" spill guard.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Thanks Todd Smile Great stuff!!!
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
297 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
I have only used patter with this Wanlu

When I bring out the ropes I have a metal rod that goes through the two blocks to show that they really holes.
I had mixed reactions (from same age group and presentation)using this - not sure quite what I was doing wrong - but the rod seemed to help sell the effect. I know it's an extra thing to carry but I think the effect is worth it.

I use the comedy drill - and it is a fun bit which does add to the effect.

You really need to prove it's not a real drill to the young ones though. Once using the drill I had one unlucky experience ....... I had a 6 year old cry as I drilled her best friend ...... so you really need to prove it's not a real drill!!

I'd also really appreciate any preformance tips as I'm sure I'm not doing justice to the effect (and have now taken it out of my shows)

Cliff
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Also, the "windshield wiper" glasses are a nice bit to add on with this. Serves a couple purposes...the first is the initial laugh when they're seen and operated (flashing lights and wipers!), the second is that wearing the glasses will tend to keep the kid's head UPRIGHT and not looking down at what you're doing and trying to grab things. That's important.

Steve
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Thanks Cliff and Steve Smile

Im planning to use this with an adult helper, what do you think? Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
297 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Steve - fancy selling me yours Smile I haven't been able to find these ANYWHERE?

(Not to mentions that Wolf's side table of yours.... )
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
297 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Wow - my search is over!

I just found some wiper glasses on ebay - search for "wiper glasses"

(I have nothing to do with the seller of these - I've just been looking to buy some for ages and now I have found them I wanted to share the info with your guys)

:)
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I don't use this effect but the Glasses have been a staple for my programs for years. Also search disco sunglasses wipers in Ebay Search..

I bought a spare pair recently. (a good idea on hard to find props)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Just checked the ebay listing...that's the exact style I have. Mine have blue frames, however.

Steve
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
As Promised, I was going to give my routine. Not really a complete routine, but a bunch of ideas I've thrown together. You can work out your own routine.
First of all, and most importantly, for kids, I do it side to side. This way the kid doing it can see what happens. AND face the audience. The first time I did this, I had the water come out the front, and the girl(a pre-teen) wiggled the tube like a "peepee" and laughed.
That is great for adults, but we have to keep it clean.

So. I introduce the ropes and blocks as a new karate belt, red/green. The block are to practice chops on to toughen up your hands. I try to pick a boy. And one that knows karate. (make sure he does not kick you) You can have him do a kata move.
When Kovari did it for me, he said, "what is the shortest distance between 2 points?" answer: "a straight line".
I use the plastic tubes to show that on the blocks.
I tie the belt in front, like a Karate belt.
First I tell him what I am going to do, and will he be comfortable with that.
They always say yes, if not, ask who will be, and 100 kids will raise their hands.
So. Then the drill. They are quick to point out it is a toy. ( I say, of course I'm not going to really hurt him!!!) I put my hand held mike up to the drill for the sound effect, at the same time, I'm fixing the gimmick.
Then I push the telescoping straw through one side.
I bring a bottle of quart sized "Bottled water" as these don't seem to leak.
and a clear plastic measuring cup, 2 cup size.
I have a second kid hold the cup to catch the water while I pour.
Some times I say it is to loose weight.
I just thought of an idea to put two red sticker dots on each side, stuck to his shirt, where the holes would be. I have a bottle of empty dried out rubber cement, I open it to glue the holes close on him.
When Kovari took off the belt, he took the whole thing off without removing the tubes first. I do this, and put it out of site.
Then glue the holes. Let him site down with the red dots still on him.

Use ideas, improvise, listen to what the kids say, and make up a routine, and most of all have fun!!!

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
"Let him site down..." means let him sit down! Or leave with the dots still on him! But I think you got the idea.
haha

ACE
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Tips on performing Passing Water:

Never do both at the same time
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Ever had a kid pee in his pants when performing?
I did. It would be funny if he did it while peforming passing water.

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1391 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 23:41, Mumblemore wrote:
May be redundant. But it may be fun to use different methods and different parts of the body . . .

With the spill guard, perhaps you could use a child's bib when you do it the first time, so the liquid spills on the bib rather than the kid (also you get the fun of having older kid wear bib or apron or whatever you can get which deflects liquid and goes down to the volunteer's waist). I've only done the "invisible" spill guard.

I'm missing something here. What is the spill guard?
And how does it fit into the "passing water", which you do around the belly?

thanks

ACE
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I run the effect pretty much as described in the instructions. I use the tubes to show that there is a hole in each block. Occasionally use this on a kid, but mearly always on a male adult. It's a bit riske when the water comes through - one kid seems always to shout "he's weeing"....and I also lean round and shake the tube when it's running dry, which looks hilarious, the women always shriek with laughter. Only do this if you think you can get away with it....but after all, it's really very innocent, one of those gags that you only find funny "if you have a dirty mind"......?
I let the water run into a bucket for simplicity, and also have a bunch of gags and a story about what the tubes are for. Great effect,always a crowd-pleaser.
Potty