The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Approached to teach magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
I was asked by a local club if I could teach a beginning magic class at a boys and girls club. I was wondering, for those of you in the know, how much do you charge per kid and what kind of tricks to teach?
The ages would be 9 years to about 14 all in the same class.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Khuber, I had the opportunity to do the very thing you are talking about at a Performing Arts facility. I would suggest that you teach the children magic using household items. There is also a fine line with teaching magic and giving secrets away..bit of a dilemna exist. I was fortunate to have a wonderful mentor in that regards, he only taught effects which were published in at least three books at the local library and used items which can be found in any household, such as bandana's, shoelaces, ect..Having the children decide what kind of magical persona they wish to be also was great fun..after a couple classes the children would go to the Performance Area and perform the same effect for the rest of the class. The thing was, each had to come up with their own patter and persona. You wouldn't believe the creativity!!! As for pricing I honestly don't know for your area.Perhaps you can have a better idea when you total up the cost of the supplies needed and your time. Good luck! Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out the Magic Hotline After School Magic Course.

You may get some ideas here.
Dennis Michael
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
Thank you much!! Smile
MagicCoach
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of MagicCoach
As part of Tim Davids new Extra Money Magic Set he gives full details, instructions course notes etc for doing exactly what you are asking. Running courses for Holiday, Club & Libray programs.
If you want to get started straight away this would be well worth checking out.

http://www.timthemagician.com/magiccoach.html

cheers

Timothy Hyde http://www.magiccoach.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Some years back I was asked to Teach a module a week (2hours) to performing arts students (ages 17+) at a college near home. I had done a course there prior to doing a Masters Degree in Performing Arts and the Main tutor is a friend of mine who was a proffesional actor and years before I had taught him and another guy some simple magic for a proffesional production of "Just like that!"
a play about Tommy Cooper. I had also trained some members of "The Volcano theatre company" for one of their productions (which I did not go and see as half the time everyone in the play was in the buff! but there we go too way out for me.
Anyway I did not teach the course as I felt that it was too much like exposure teaching it to students who had no interest in it and no NEED to learn it. I still train/advise the odd theatre co though when it is a required part of the play.
Phillip