The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Big Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
In case any of you caught on from any of my posts, I had a big show that would be a big impact on whether or not I was going to be a succesful magician, well thankfully it went well.

Almost every trick I did got great reactions-I messed up on Super Frog but it was unknowing to the audience, except for my family who I practiced for. I said 'mostly' everything went well. There was only one problem, 1 out of the 15 kids was a real annoyance, I didn't know who he was either, He would jump up and down, scream, (and I didn't even have a microphone to use, so I really had to talk loud... not to mention there was another birthday in the room over with Barney and songs and everything) -

Anyway back to this annoying kid, he also came up while I was performing, WENT IN THE BACK OF MY TABLE and took a few props such as the bang gun, giant scissors, and other giant props, I kept taking them from him and telling him to sit down like a good kid, behind the tape.

Of course he sat down but a minute later was up again, Now I didn't even know, but he actually crawled behind some chairs and tables behind my magic table and and was sneakily taking some more props. I don't know if he got any or not, so I'm going to see if everythings there.

So I guess what I'm asking all of you pros out there is, please help me for future shows, (from a 14 years old point of view)

How do you tell a kid that's like that, to sit down and shut the heck up, without upsetting any parents and not having to stop my show every few minutes. Becuase some of those kids may think, well he's only a kid, so I don't have to listen to him.

Thank's a lot for reading this long one.
Josh!
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Josh,

Welcome to performing! Smile

Seriously, aren't you glad you've done it? And if you're like most of us, you want to go out and do it again.

Here's a quick tip...place some masking tape on the ground in a line behind which you want the kids to sit. It is psychological, most kids will not cross it (especially if you tell them not to), and I've seen other kids correct a child when they tried to cross it.

If you have a kid like that again, there's nothing wrong with stopping the show and asking an adult to control him. Do it politely and firmly, and hopefully you'll get help.

Let's hear what others have to say...
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks. Oh yeah, I want to go out and do it again, it's fun and entertaining for myself. Well, I did have the tape out there and it was about 3 feet from my table, It didn't work, he just didn't listen, but otherwise all the others liked it, all shows can't be perfect! Thank's for the quick reply
Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
No, they can't be perfect, that's how we get the experience, right? Sounds like you did a good job, though...
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I enjoyed it, that's for sure!
I also got to tape it, which was really good!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Sincerest congratulations on overcoming this big one. I think there is a thread somewhere Josh on controlling bad behaviour, Andrew from NZ started it did he not? The masking tape idea is a good one (I use a heavy duty rope light taped down but then I'm a flash so and so aren't I?) If I were you I think I'd invest in a little sound system - a musician's practice amp. would be fine, and a mike. Well done anyway!
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Yea, before I buy any more magic, I'll probably try to find a sound system
Josh
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
I suggest putting some money away for a sound system but continue to build on your tricks, that way people that have seen you before see something new and exciting if ya know what i mean.

Glad to hear that it went well Josh! you worked hard on it! You should be proud.

Bah! That kid was an annoyance, you get them all the time, it depends no the kid as to what to do with them but Vilago makes a good point, that should be what ya do.

Whats the super frog trick about there josh?
Enjoy the fruits of labour!

-Brad
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I recommed taking a look at the book by Silly Billy called 'Top 10 Problems Performing for Children.'
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Quote:

Whats the super frog trick about there josh?
Enjoy the fruits of labour!

-Brad

Brad,

I THINK this is Sammy Smith's trick, wherein a frog with a cape vanishes, then reappears on a helper's back...is this right Josh?

And if so, would you care to share with us what went wrong?

Thanks...
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi Josh,

It's not often I have that problem, but if I do, I hammer their feet to the floor with six inch nails so they can't move. No, seriously, I would normally warn them a couple of times, and if they still continue, I make them sit at the back of the room with the parents. Don't worry what the parents will think, because they've seen him being a little bugger, and will agree with your actions. As I say, it doesn't happen often.

It might be because you're a lot younger than the average entertainer. If you use a microphone, it tends to somehow give you that extra authority.

All the best, Billy
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks for yor replys guys-I got to get to school, so i'll rpely later in my computer class about super frog-Thanx, Josh
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I hope you don't mind if I share an experience that I had as it is relevent and should provide some good food for conversation.

I had a similar experience (a couple of years ago, I was 33), on my first show (to a cub scout group), One of the little darlings left me as well as some of the other spectators visibly frustrated by sneaking around my table, and blurting out what he saw as I performed.

I returned to the same group three months ago and had a great experience performing. There were some things that had changed. I will tell you what I think had changed as it seems to go along with some of the advice above:

1. My costume was more Magician-like (Looked the part better)
2. I gave an introduction (in rhyme) indicating that this was a show and that I performed illusions, If they see how it is done, they should clap louder. (I removed the challenge of disproving that this is actually MAGIC as part of my introduction)
3. I had some magic-looking posters around my stage area.
4. I was an improved performer (More confidence).
5. I brought a lapel micriphone and patched into the local PA system.
6. I was prepared to handle the same situation that I had encountered before. The next time I encounter a stubborn child, I will be agressive in stopping it. I will calmly ask the parents of the offender to come and take their child out and explain the appropriate behavior for any performance. Parents understand this and are usually glad for the help in teaching this to their children.
7. The same child was again at the performance, but provided no diffaculty. He is a little older. I also suspect that his parents chewed him out after the last time.

This was a long post, and I'm sure that there are many little darlings out there who will yet frustrate me, but I hope that it might help fuel some ideas and worthwhile conversation.

Enjoy

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
We've all had them at my first show I had one just like it. after the show I asked the birthday mum about him, He's the vicars son she said, he's always like that, I wont have him in my house. which let me to wonder, Why did she invite him.

Don't be afraid to tell them off, but don't shout at them. I usually say right I need a helper you'll do, the trouble maker then comes eagerly over thinking they are going to help. I then quietly say, (I wear a headset mic so everyone in the room can hear) "Right what I want you to do is go to the back of the room and stand next to that lady there" I point to the booker. "I want you to stay there until then end of the show where you can't spoil the show for everone else, and if you do stay there I might still be inclined to give you a balloon model at the end, but if you move from that spot you wont get anything" This lets the booker know I want that child bought under control, and I'm doing it so the other kids can enjoy the show. In the 6-7 years I've been performing I've only had to do it 5 times.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Yes I think we have all had problems of this nature when starting out. I remember in my inexperience after encountering a wandering two year old on my first show next time I decided to get one of thos snake cans and put it on a small stool in front neatest to the audience I also put one of those cap detonators inside with the snakes and one underneath. sure enough the two year old picked it up bang and that was the last time they touched anything in that show!

I would not do that now of course
Phillip
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Every so often your going to get a trouble maker. As you get older and more experienced you will develop more confidence and improve your audience management skills. Right now being just 14 you are going to have a great deal of trouble with kids because your not much older than they are and therefor not percieved as an authority figure. Setting a tape barrier between you and the audience may be percieved as more of a challenge or game than an actual barrier. I would try to work out of a valise or trunk that could be closed quickly to keep your props out of the hands of the curious. I carry a large 6'X6' foulard to cover my table and props in the rare event that I get rushed at the conclusion of my performance.
Stick with it, one unrully kid is an abberation not a reflection on your skills.
You had the rapt attention of 14 other kids.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks for the replys everyone! After that performance, I have already got 2 people wanting shows, so I guess I'm looknig good! Josh

Oh yea-The problem with super frog-Theres a part where you have tp stick super frog on an assistants back (without the audienmce knowing)-I only have a little tape on it, so it didn't stick-right when I put it on, it flew off and about 5 feet away-they were paying attention to me not that so they didn't even realize it...I regrupoed though! There ya go-Josh!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hey Josh,
From what you said here and told me on chat,you did a GREAT job.The more shows you do,the better they will be.
I can see you ask lots of questions here at the Café.I hope other young magicians here at the Café follow in your ways and learn as you are doing.
Its been a pleasure to have been of some help to you.
Keep up the good work,as I'm sure you will.
Have a GREAT Day,
Don
P.S. Next show don't forget the rope and duck tape. LOL !!!!!
Don
Zorak
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland, USA
114 Posts

Profile of Zorak
Hi Josh,
Congratulations over probably the most difficult thing a magician ever does, his or her first show. You broke the ice, you had a mishap and handled it like a pro.
The advice of momentarily stopping the show after the child wandered behind your table during your performance, and having an adult present to control the child, is excellent. It is NEVER the entertainers job to reprimand, scold, or baby sit a child.
Get the adult assistance by smiling and being pleasant.
DO NOT take the advice of mistreating or humiliating them. You will become the villian and lose favor (and probably another show) by being negative.
Again, I say, you did good and it will get better. Just remember, that unruly kid is out there and will continue to appear at your shows forever. It is up to you, how you respond. Good Luck! Smile
Magic is in the hearts of children from 1 to 101
Please check out my Website: kiddiekazam.com
FREE ORIGINAL CLIPART FOR MAGICIANS & CLOWNS
PROP DESIGNS
MAGIC CARTOONS all drawn by Zorak
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
Hi Josh,
A little trick I've learned over the years (about 30) while performing for young children. If you get one that keeps getting louder or more unruly start to lower your voice, speak softer and softer so that rhe other children have to stain to hear. you will be surprised how often they will shhhh! the troublemaker.