The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: This is my perfect show - what's yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I have performed up to 7 shows a day, 7 days a week for 3 solid months in a row. No lie. I have had to teach myself how to put on the most entertaining show with the fastest possible set up/set down time. Props have to be very light weight so i can go from one show to the next and not get a back ache or hernia. The largest instrument I carry is a fair sized speaker system with cordless mic so I don't loose my voice. It is quite heavy but worth the strain on my back to keep my voice up to pah.
99% of my show comes out my doc bag:
The only item i can't squeeze in there is the axtel magic effects board. But this item alone is worth the price of my show because the audience reaction is quite simply tremendous. I actualy carry two boards and have one ready for 3-6 year olds and the other if i should encounter older children because I can not know what the majoraty of ages will be till i arrive.
Either way - all the other routines, including a five minute spot of juggling, are perfect for all ages.
In total I do no more than 8 different routines and the perfect show usualy runs for 40 minutes.
If I may, this particular show includes:
A little warm up with a haunted hankie,
a great routine with vernet multiplying balls,
some fun with rope,
a finger guilotine (hades to be more presice),
an exretemely long yet very entertaining routine with a single balloon,
mini hip hop rabbits or funny version of nail through glass (some times both),
and finaly the above mentioned axtel board.
I also mentioned the juggling.
All these routines are killers leaving no space what so-ever for boredom. They suite every age group (I leave out the guilotine if all members are under the age of five).
I also carry a set of metal cups and balls for an extra encor and a paddle for the "I'll start again" routine, rubber bands for cmh, star gazer, a pack of cards, a 3 card monte, bending key and a handfull of other small yet visible tricks just in case my audience turn out to be more parents then kids.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Where are you performing to be so busy during the week? I do school shows to keep me entertained Monday to Friday.
Sounds like a great show. I'd love to book you for my own birthday.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
I wouldn't use chopper affects for kids 8 and under. Silk effects are also great for kids and pack flat.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
got this on video?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I don't use the chopper for under 6 year olds but it is a finger guilotine and my routine is one of eight funny, entertaining hits. That is how it should be performed for children.
I have a video of my first shows - nothing recent.
I perform at various hotels and mainly during the summer vacation. That includes summer camps for the locals in the mornings and hotels in the afternoons and evenings.
I do have other sets that include zombie, sponge ball routine, story telling with props and larger tricks such as man in the moon, shackle escape routine and more.
My original post applies to working entertainers who have to be prepared, willing and able to perform numerous shows around the clock. I must keep myself fit and healthy and remain that way so as to be responsible for what I take on. I never cancelled a show - ever (except for one time when my wife was giving birth to my 3rd child in the middle of the high season).
I will also be truthful and tell you that I have had a total of 3 seasons like that (one season per year). Today, times have changed and the demand and budgeting of the hotel industry has been stirred. Last year was not as good.
Basicaly I gave my example of the perfect show (tricks, setup/packup, size, neccessities) for working full time - what is your's?
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I want to see it. it sounds fun. I just have a basic show.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I do now want to throw this thread off topic but why do you work so hard? 49 shows a week!

I would not want that many a month!
I think that it is probably a little unhealthy. Many entertainers have fallen foul to this.

This is not a critism, Just something to ponder!
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Without wanting to answer for Danryb I think we all have a time in our lives when we reach to extremes - to achieve say a deposit on a mortgage. I remember the month of the wedding of the ill-fated Charles and Diana. We worked every day from morning till night. I remember (regretfully) jumping down the throat of one customer who phoned to cancel because the venue had let her down - because we had lost one show out of so many! I read an interesting series of lecture notes once on 'the time of your life when you suddenly achieve wealth' - when you are not interested in the duty free on the English Channel ferries but would rather sit down and have a good meal; when you are prepared to spend on a quality bottle of wine; when you don't look for the cheapest in everything. We are now happy with (not including December) about 28 parties between two of us a month. Any more and the taxman strikes us hard and our quality of life diminishes. (Here endeth Tuesday's sermon from England). Smile Perfect show? My idea entirely different from your's Dan as we are not quick set-up/pack-up entertainers, but like to 'turn their living room into a theatre for top dollar' (to quote our friend Ken.)
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
the show i pointed out has nothing to do with birthday parties. Birthday parties get treated in an intirely different way. Bigger props and no rush so i realy don't mind how long it takes me to set up and breakdown. I very rarely get a b.day booking during the summer months when kids are on vacation.
This would be the perfect show for "hotel hopping" and if and when there was such a great demand - who am i to let it pass me by. I work full time as an entertainer and support a family of 5. Summer is just a good way to help me through the winter. I have lived happily through 3 consecutive summers like this - I'm young and healthy and now is the time. (Unfortunately, and besides the point - the demand has fallen rappidly since 9/11 so just as well I did what i did when it was available). I have made a good name for myself and for the service i sell.