The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Messy Ideas question? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I am getting into kids magic.. I have heard, that the bigger the mess you make, the better the parents view on your performance.. I would like some ideas on tricks or items that will make a mess of your area.. true, it requires cleanup at the end, but Im just going on what I have heard..
Your opinions on making a mess, and ideas on tricks which result in a big mess will be greatly appreciated. (when I say "mess" I mean stuff like cards everywhere, silks, props, mouth coils... ets, nothing that needs to be mopped dabbed or vaccumed up..
Thanks
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
have heard, that the bigger the mess you make, the better the parents view on your performance

Hi,
I do not personaly agree with this opinion.
I am all for having items that can be seen and make it look like a big show. but I never perform any effects that make a mess for any audience!
I also want to get in and out in a reasonable time mess means delays!
Phillip
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I agree with Phillip it is not a good idea to leave a mess behind, even if you clean it up yourself. Tim, there certainly is some truth behind your theory however. Lots of colourful streamers or ticker tape at an event does give a particular party feel. I guess one of the things you really want to create is illusions or visual surprises that are not just in one place. I achieve this in my school magic show by walking into the middle of the children’s seating area. That way half of them have to turn around to see me. It is just a small thing but helps me use more space for my act. Effects like the card on ceiling also help you do this without making a big mess.
If you read any good text book on Services Marketing it will tell you people usually put a disproportionately high weighting on any physical evidence when they are evaluating a service. For example a courier delivery firm would be perceived as superior to its competitors if they used more attractive packaging for their deliveries (all other aspects being equal).
You can apply this theory to your show and leave behind good physical evidence. It will become a talking point after you have gone. Examples are; a complex multi-balloon animal, a polaroid snap, attractively designed business cards (see mine at http://www.madjik.co.nz/trading.htm ) etc...
Some people might look at a mess afterwards and think it must have been a great show. My guess is most people will not, especially women and it is usually women that book kids shows.
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
"I have heard, that the bigger the mess you make, the better the parents view on your performance."

Actually, the bigger mess you make, the more likely the parents are to beat you to a pulp!
Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Let's see....Hmmm "Mess" spring snakes, silk production, flowers, etc. that sort of mess or confetti, spilt liquids, rabbit poo on the rugs... You know that foam hammer you got, watch it turn into a real hammer.

Props, to enhance your show can appear messy. When you leave you take it with you.

I doubt a magician wants to leave a mess. Many times magicians are hired so the parents don't have to deal with a mess from a party that doesn't have an entertainer.

Now on New Years Eve, the clean-up crew gives me dirty looks because of the 6 paper coils, confetti wands, streamers, party favor poppers and gross of balloons that make the party more lively must work, because they want me back each year.

Out door 4th of July party? Haven't done this but a mess here might seem approprate for the occasion.
Dennis Michael
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I am talking about prop messes, not confettie, or liquid messes, just things you can toss do a trick with, act crazy, and have fun.. One thing I was thinking of was
forcing a card on a kid, toss the deck into the air and cards go everywhere! but somehow you catch only theirs.. then go into a torn and restored trick with the card.. also mouth coils, using several break away wands,
tossing them over yuor shoulder when they break and getting another one from your case..
I dont want to be a hindrance on the clean up requirements at the party, I plan on picking everything up myself after the show, which should take less than a minute..
but I was looking of props or gags like these. thanks for the replies
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There seems to be a phrase or buzzword, "Pack small, Play Big" which many magicians like. Of course, because this way you can play 4 shows on a Saturday and 4 shows on a Sunday and get about the same amount as the magician who lugs in boxes.

People assume the more you display, the better the show. If this premis is correct, from the mind of the buyer, then absoultely, the mess (prop related), the appearance of a larger show for the same price as one who works out of a suitcase.

There's more to this, however, I like props, and the mess they make. My wand shoots out 25 spring snakes, it makes an impressive mess! It is also not a prop that packs quickly, but does bring laughter!
Dennis Michael
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
25 of them? Man, I gotta get one of those.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree. Keep the physical mess to a minimum!
As far as lots of props giving the appearance of a better show?? I disagree again.
It may look impressive but it will still come down to the bottom line. Were you entertaining and did the kids have lots of fun... This should be your goal!
:magicrabbit:
Daniel Faith
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Something to keep in mind while doing kid shows is that if there are any props, i.e. spring snakes, streamers, mouth coils, confetti etc. within reach, the kids will immediately rush to pick it up and play with it.

This can be very disruptive and cause loss of control during your show. You are in charge and if you are allowing a "mess" to build up around you, it could be construed as permission to play with your detritus.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."