The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Help with dovepan routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Hi all,

I'm returning to magic after an off-and-on courtship over the years, and I've been asked to perform at my 8-year-old nephew's birthday party in December. I've been thinking about a dovepan routine that doesn't involve fire (based on some great advice from this forum). Can you validate/improve on the following routine?

Early in the performance, I show the pan empty, and I say I want to make a cake for the birthday boy. I add flour, eggs, butter, and frosting to the pan (creating a gooey mess, which I show the kids and get them all riled up). Then I put the lid on and set a timer for 10 or 15 minutes. Maybe I put a lightbulb or sterno near the pan for heat. I continue with the rest of my show, and periodically I pretend to check on the cake... "Is it ready yet? Almost!" Then finally, at the end of the performance, after a some build up, I open the lid to reveal a regular cake with frosting.

I'm of course leaving out the fun patter that I would use to get the kids excited about the cake.

I know I'm probably not the first person to think of this idea, but I've never read a routine like this, and I want to know if you think it'll get the kids excited and amazed.

Thanks in advance for your opinions (good and bad) and advice!

-Dave
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Which part do think is original?
using a dove pan to bake a cake is a Classic kids trick. I have perssonaly never seeen any one leaving it for 15 mins to cook mind.
Phillip
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dave,
For the ingredients, you might try:
Nuts (throw in a handful of metal nuts);
Dates (tear up the page of a calendar);
Dust with flour (brush a fake rose over the whole thing; I use a wilting flower for added -- I hope -- laughs)
Bake for 40 minutes at 300 degrees. Or, if you've got lots of time, bake for 300 minutes at 40 degrees!
Rather than checking on the cake from time to time, you might use the adding of the ingredients as a running gag throughout the show.
Whatever.
Anyhow, some ideas that I've found work, over the years.
Smile
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Thanks for the great advice, Peter.

Phillip, I wasn't trying to claim originality. Sorry for giving that impression.

-Dave Smile
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I have used that in every birthday show I have done. I started using other ingredients becouse the egg flower water etc. made a mess if the pan were to tip over on the way home. I now use sponge balls and bake a sponge cake. then I take the sponge cake out put the lid back on and when I take the lid off candy overflows in the pan. I do that at the end of the show whth the birthday boy or girl. durring the show I keep gathering the ingredients so it is ongoing but it doesn't sit there for a while. I know someone who had the cake bake for five-twenty five minutes who didn't get a reaction becouse the kids thaught he switched it durring the show and they just didn't see it.
Hope this helps.
Grand Illusions Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
Dave,
I use the routine I think I got most of it out of David Ginns book. I dress the b-day child up in a chefs outfit. Then we put in the ingrediance. I use a giant box of baking soda, salt and when they dump the salt in I act like they put way too much witch they usually do and say oh you put one grain too much and act like I take one grain of salt out. Flower I use a snake can and have a flower label wrapped around it and act like I cant open it. They open it and the snakes jump out. Then I use to use a real egg but too hard to clean the pan out for the next show so I use an egg loaded with confetti. put on the lid on say the magic words happy birthday and the child's name and pull the lid off and have a dove appear. I also use the breakaway want to wave over the pan while we say the magic words with the classic jokes about take the wand don't break it and stuff. Works really well been doing it for 5 years.
Anymore questions just let me know
Shawn
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Thanks for the great ideas! You guys are very patient and helpful with a beginning magician.

-Dave
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
check out the linking ring (may 2001- magic parades) and magic magazine (jan. 2002, david kaye article) for some other ideas.

john