The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Is it really possible to entertain a family audience? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 07:51, writer25 wrote:
Phillip. Would you agree that Terry Herbert and Kimmo are better than you? I suppose you are going to say that they are just as good. My point is that no magician ever admits that anyone is better than they are. I shall prove it. Name a fellow children's entertainer that you think is better than you?
Well?

Eric. Name another children's entertainer that you think is better than you.
Potty. Name another children's entertainer that you think is better than you.

I rest my case.

Certainly: this fellow has mightily impressed me, even though I've only seen his video clips. He's a master of our Art. http://www.fools-paradox.co.uk/

I can easily recognise real talent when I see it!

Regarding age-specific shows: it certainly makes sense to target shows at specific age-groups. I have multiple shows for every age, 3 through 10. But I also have several family shows, which appeal to all ages, including teenagers and adults.

Preschools and Primary schools, as well as birthday parties, often include kids of the same age group. It would be daft to present a family show to a group of toddlers.

But it should still be an easy matter, for a show aimed at 3-year-olds, to entertain other age groups too.
writer25
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of writer25
I like Professor Paradox too! But Eric must be the best because he refuses to believe anyone else is. The power of the mind is a most wondrous thing.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I think I am the best magician on the planet...except, possibly, for Mark Lewis!!! Smile JR
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 10:34, writer25 wrote:
I like Professor Paradox too! But Eric must be the best because he refuses to believe anyone else is. The power of the mind is a most wondrous thing.

;)
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 10:48, Jolly Roger wrote:
I think I am the best magician on the planet...except, possibly, for Mark Lewis!!! Smile JR

You definitely have your moments, Roger. Despite some criticism, I think your levitation routine is exceptional, you have a theatrical style that many performers would do well to study.

As for Mark Lewis, I wouldn't say he's the best - but he certainly has outstanding skills. I'm lucky enough to have seen him perform, and he has a wonderful "old school" style, which is highly engaging, and in these modern times, very rare. Mark very subtly engages the kids in his own unique way. Ironically, it's his winning performing style, which gets him into trouble on forums. Cantankerous but funny and direct. Mark is one of my favourite kidshow performers, simply because he reminds me of all those magic shows I saw as a kid.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 09:43, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Spain is on my bucket list

I don't really know what that means ? Phil
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I agree with you potty I have pre school targeted and other targeted shows but I would not perform preschool shoe at a birthday show .. Unless I was pretty sure the whole audience was pre school or unless eric's DVD changes my mind phil
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Bucket list means I hope to see Spain before I die
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 11:46, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Bucket list means I hope to see Spain before I die

You earn $3000 a week, at least, right? Pop over there for a few days soon. The cost of living is cheap in Spain. With your earnings, you'll soon be living in a huge mansion, driving a flashy car, and taking holidays every few months - like me.

;)
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
For the record, I am the best children's entertainer that ever lived!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

No, Steve, GZ is the best kids' entertainer that ever lived. He can't do magic; he can't do vent; he can't sing; he can't juggle; he can't tell stories; he can't run games. He doesn't bother about what he wears, he doesn't bother to create routines, or to present logical magic; he doesn't write scripts; he doesn't interact with the kids beyond a very basic level. GZ is a kidshow rockstar, and as such, every child should just watch in awe. He's a heavy drinker and gambler, with evident signs of rosacea. This is a very endearing trait among rich Americans. They love to think a heavy drinker and gambler is entertaining their children.

He can play music on a boombox; he can pick up props and mess with them in ways that magicians never imagined. And he brag better than anyone I've ever met.

Unfortunately, due to his gambling addiction, his enormous salary disappears without trace, meaning he can't demonstrate his fabulous wealth, or even afford a trip to Spain. I bet the guy has gambled away so much money, that he can't even afford a decent car. What car do you drive, Zuke?

On the other hand, he might be struggling to get a gig, and that's why there's no evidence to support his claims. Perhaps GZ is one of the worst kids' entertainers, with a ridiculous ego....time will tell.

I must admit, I'm beginning to think that magicians really are suckers!

;)
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

I'm not sure why I ever thought you might come across as insulting. My mistake. First of all, I'm a gambler, not a drinker. Don't make up stuff. I take one big vacation a year. I've been many places, except Spain hasn't made it yet. This year was Yellowstone, last year, Columbia.
I'm sorry that games didn't make 5 min clip, but I do those as well. I use puppets also. Like I said, nobody has vouched for seeing your show-I can gives names on here that have seen mine. I drive a Toyota solara-2006 convertible-love it. Now, you are an in the box thinker that uses other people's routines?
Cost of living? OK, I live in the nation's capital. Parents bring in gamblers and drinkers-you are right. Michelle Obama brought her kid to my show, so I could teach her blackjack. You're a silly man,, and is insecure about the fact I can dress the way I do and achieve something you haven't. Parents invite me to hang at their parties.
Potty, you are a dime a dozen pirate. I know pirates that would crush your spirt. No offense. I just want to help up you realize that you will never get it and is a waste of breath to teach the calculated randomness in which I present show. Every kid feels like they know me and I can't teach how to connect because you don't want to learn. No biggie
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I can't believe this discussion has actually stooped to the level of trying to prove who is better. Hasn't anyone ever heard the expression beauty is in the eyes of the beholder? Everyone has an opinion. That doesn't make anyone right or wrong. When Eric chooses to quote the Washington Post on his web site or in marketing material for proclaiming him as DC's #1 Children's Entertainer, that doesn't make him arrogant. What it makes him is a savvy businessman and a confident entertainer. He would be foolish to do otherwise.

This seems like such a juvenile debate. Whether anyone chooses to acknowledge this fact or not, it's actually possible for everyone to be the best at what they do because none of us are the same and we all have different goals in mind. You can't compare quality because everyone has different standards of perfection. And regardless of your standards, if you're truly striving for perfection, the ideal place to start is by seeking out and learning from the best qualities that we all have to offer so that you can constantly be improving. That is why I personally admire so many talented children's magicians on this site and will continue supporting their amazing contributions to our craft.

But to put this debate to rest once and for all, I'll settle this by assuring everyone that I already know for a fact that I'm the absolute best magician and daddy in the whole wide world - because my son and daughter tell me so!

- Gary
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Also, no evidence? I'm all over the place. You have 10 Facebook fans-come on. If I Google you don't come up, barely. I make well over 6 ffigures, and have every single year. You charge a lot less and you're at party for 2 hours. Learn something, please. I'm pulling for you.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Gary, It was great seeing you and your daughter at my show yesterday
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Oh, and one more thing. Let's be clear. Both big discussions with Potty, he's come after me and tried to discredit me first. Then,I defend myself and he's call it bragging. Look how you brag when feeling attacked. I always keep it real. I told the Post that I gamble and smoke. I told them that, they didn't know until I told them. I'm an open book and I like it bro
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 14:51, The Great Zucchini wrote:
First of all, I'm a gambler, not a drinker. Don't make up stuff. I take one big vacation a year. I've been many places, except Spain hasn't made it yet. This year was Yellowstone, last year, Columbia.
I'm sorry that games didn't make 5 min clip, but I do those as well. I use puppets also. Like I said, nobody has vouched for seeing your show-I can gives names on here that have seen mine. I drive a Toyota solara-2006 convertible-love it. Now, you are an in the box thinker that uses other people's routines?
Cost of living? OK, I live in the nation's capital. Parents bring in gamblers and drinkers-you are right. Michelle Obama brought her kid to my show, so I could teach her blackjack. You're a silly man,, and is insecure about the fact I can dress the way I do and achieve something you haven't. Parents invite me to hang at their parties.
Potty, you are a dime a dozen pirate. I know pirates that would crush your spirt. No offense. I just want to help up you realize that you will never get it and is a waste of breath to teach the calculated randomness in which I present show. Every kid feels like they know me and I can't teach how to connect because you don't want to learn. No biggie

You say you're not a drinker, but if that's true, you really shouldn't put videos up, which apparently show you have advanced rosacea. In your trailer, from your physical appearance, you look like a chronic alcoholic. In fact, your appearance reminds me of street drinkers. I know that it's possible it's not rosacea, or perhaps it is, but there's a medical explanation. Perhaps you're a modest drinker, or TT. But, you surely have to think of the impression you're gonna give your clients, if they see you like that, with a big red nose. Why would you put this clip up, unless your nose looks like that all the time?

I saw you with the rabbit in the hat puppet. Probably the most brilliant puppet routine I've ever seen. Why didn't I think to make a puppet routine just a load of ineffectual, poorly executed reactions, to nothing at all? And, before there is any opportunity to actually entertain, the puppet is tossed aside. The reactions, and theatricality of GZ's rabbit in the hat, is a real education.

You drive an old, cheap car. I guess that means all your earnings are paying a whopping mortgage, then? You could buy your car with a weeks' wages. Insecurity is your middle name, GZ, and you're busted. Of course, I have no insecurities, as I'm firmly established, earn a good living, and am taking it easy these days. I can earn my £2000 a week too, you know? I own properties, have a nice lifestyle, and it's all down to the fact that I take my job seriously. You seem to be confusing ability with earning potential. I would never say that a crap entertainer can't earn big bucks, and get his name out there. Some of the worst entertainers ever become famous, simply because of the people they know. This doesn't make them any better at their art, but yes, it can mean they achieve a higher public profile than other, far superior, entertainers.

The music industry is the definitive example of this.

I see no "calculated randomness" in what I've seen of your shows. Just boring, boring, boring nonsense. To date, there is absolutely nothing at all in your presentations, which even begins to convince me of your alleged abilities. You are more than welcome to enlighten me, and as I've said, show me a clip of you performing which isn't bloody awful, and I'll reconsider my opinion.

Or, take up my challenge. You MUST have loads and loads and loads of pictures, presents, letters, cards, and other stuff from the kids you've entertained (if you're as good as you say you are). So, put up some images of the paintings kids have done for you, or the personally written letters. Then, I'll match every one, and better them all. Or not.

I'd be happy to doff my cap to you, if you can beat me hands down, on this front.

What I'd really like to know, GZ, is about these other pirates who would "crush my spirit". Do tell, who might they be?

I'm afraid you've pushed me to call you a fraud, and yes, in my opinion, you are. You have NOTHING to back up your statements and claims. Your performing abilities are extremely poor, yet you've convinced yourself that you're the best thing since sliced bread. Time for a reality check, young man. Did you really think the entire performing community consists of wannabees and hopeless dreamers? No, there are real performers out there, actually creating great shows, and advancing the art of theatre and magic. You, I'm afraid, are not among them. But you could be, if you could be bothered to make a little effort.

It's time for you to stop the lies, GZ. Be honest, and discover a whole new World. You and I know you're a barefaced liar. Exactly what lies, I'm not gonna speculate, but you simply don't make sense, and, as Judge Judy says: "If it doesn't make sense, it isn't true."

Grow up, GZ, you're better than this. Stop resisting, and learn from the real experts. Do you actually realise how valuable my input has been for you? My suspicion is that you do, but you're too ashamed to admit it. You're the little boy lost, desperately seeking any kind of support, wherever it might come from. Real entertainers don't need that, we just do our job.

Doug
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

You underestimate our field if you really think you can do 575 shows a year and be horrible. You have no word of mouth, I assume. I'm all word of mouth. You have to sell yourself. You said you have no insecurities-what? Everyone has insecurities. You don't get how big my show is, bro. I've had adults come to my shows that don't have kids yet. They just wanted to see what they've heard about-As far as the dress, I actually did a show in a nice button down shirt one time, and parents were teasing me. ' What happened to T-shirt'
Dude, you are sad. You literally want to compare thank you notes from kids. This is insane. I won't waste time. Um, who said thank you with brightest crayon? Every entertainer has boxes of notes. Go with the big boys. Here's an article for you to read. Google the article on Gene weingarten -Washingtonian magazine. They call me a genius in article. You have no presence on web. Steve doesn't either. This is where big boys play, not happy face notes. You do make me lol. BTW, that's a different story than other article
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
575 shows a year why would you do that many ?
If you only charged 175.00 a show that would put you in six figures .
I don't want to work that hard !

The first thing I do at the start of each year is mark off at least 8 weeks holidays not days here and there but 8 full weeks . My aim is for around 200 to 250 bookings a year. Bookings not shows
That's more than enough for me , I have 5 kids and a house mum to support which I do very comfortably . Without being overworked that I cannot enjoy my family and life phil
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

I charge 350 a show and I love performing. I'm happy on stage, what can I say.