The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Jolly Roger's Cloth of Invisibility (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 12:44, Potty the Pirate wrote:
It's a fab routine, JR, and Powermagic is right, there's room for improvement with "The Thing", but equally, your amazing theatrical performance, is right out there. Brilliant, thoroughly engaging presentation.

I don't quite know why Powermagic has repeated his comment over and over - you thanked him for his comment, but he assumed you were being sarcastic. I knew you were being a little "tongue in cheek", but certainly not sarcastic.

The whole reason for being here, is to improve as performers. If we can't take criticism, we shouldn't put ourselves here. I know Powermagic is often controversial, but he is pretty much on the money with most of his comments.

Doug

Well, thank you Potty! I am also a fan of your work. I love your table top suspension, and all your singing bits especially. For those who don't know, Potty and I also connect on a spiritual level, and have both encountered true life miracles! Smile JR
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 13:49, Jolly Roger wrote:
Quote:
It's a fab routine, JR, and Powermagic is right, there's room for improvement with "The Thing", but equally, your amazing theatrical performance, is right out there. Brilliant, thoroughly engaging presentation.

I don't quite know why Powermagic has repeated his comment over and over - you thanked him for his comment, but he assumed you were being sarcastic. I knew you were being a little "tongue in cheek", but certainly not sarcastic.

The whole reason for being here, is to improve as performers. If we can't take criticism, we shouldn't put ourselves here. I know Powermagic is often controversial, but he is pretty much on the money with most of his comments.

Doug

Well, thank you Potty! I am also a fan of your work. I love your table top suspension, and all your singing bits especially. For those who don't know, Potty and I also connect on a spiritual level, and have both encountered true life miracles! Smile JR

We have....but that's for another thread.

;)
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 14:29, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 13:49, Jolly Roger wrote:
Quote:

Doug

We have....but that's for another thread.

;)

I agree Doug. Will you start it or shall I? JR
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1359 Posts

Profile of danfreed
OK, back to the cloth of Invisibility - JR asked how it went. I wasn't able to try it at the birthdays this past weekend because of adults on the side and back. Most were in front watching the show, but often there are a few people on the sides due to lack of space, and 1 or 2 adults in the kitchen or whatever getting stuff ready. I've got 2 festivals shows next weekend, but I get nervous doing new stuff for bigger crowds, so I want to test it out for a few birthdays first. I'll let you know.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 18:58, danfreed wrote:
OK, back to the cloth of Invisibility - JR asked how it went. I wasn't able to try it at the birthdays this past weekend because of adults on the side and back. Most were in front watching the show, but often there are a few people on the sides due to lack of space, and 1 or 2 adults in the kitchen or whatever getting stuff ready. I've got 2 festivals shows next weekend, but I get nervous doing new stuff for bigger crowds, so I want to test it out for a few birthdays first. I'll let you know.

Thanks, Dan. Keep me posted. However, I will say that I do sometimes do this illusion with people sitting on the sidelines. They don't really understand what is happening, so it is never a problem. They are just a little confused why everyone sitting at the front are clapping and cheering if that makes sense!!! I always find this highly amusing!! Smile JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Just so you all know, I believe that the true identity of Powermagic is Glenn Bishop. JR
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Yes, he is being sarcastic. Come on guys, you cant be serious that you think he is really "thanking me." When the guy says in all caps that mine is brilliant even though he has not seen it, it is obviously he is not serious that he wants to work on it. EVERY time he has said his stinks he follows it up with sarcasm which negates his first comments that agree.

As I said, if he is using it to sell his cloak routine he should cut out the parts that do not matter. He should know by now that magicians love to copy a routine they see.

writer25, you have to know what the Thing should look like to know what it Jollys could look like. Sadly when he came out with the platinum, it sees they took off the stage version they had in the original promo.

what I was waiting for was JRs permission to explain my position. But if he does not say to post it, I am trying to be fair since he did not ask for it. I am not the only one who has seen some areas where th illusion is not working. But if he is not even curious, then so be it. My suggestion is if he is not just trying to fill time, it would be best to just get rid of the Thing since they are not reacting to it and he is not REALLY tying in the table to his self levitation. While we can see that is what he is doing it really not a smooth transition. The box and the table are tied together but to get to the levitation has much less cohesiveness .

For example, JR sets up that the invisible "thing" is the souce of the table levitating. But then puts it away and levitates.
So it would flow nicer if the put the source in his pocket or in a locket around his neck.

While Iw as not going to comment on his entire routine, just Abbott's effect, this is just one example of ways to tighten the routine up as a hole. I feel he should be more open to what I have to say instead of being sarcastic. But I guess that is just me and that is just him. I do not want to put him on the spot. I was just trying to be helpful in the long run. Good luck with your future practice JR. Feel free to PM me if you change your mind.

PS keep guessing...
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello again Powermagic..........and welcome back!!! I am really at a loss as to what to say to you, as I am 100% in agreement with you about my presentation of "The Thing." It is really very poor, and needs much improvement. I am truly working on it as much as I can. There are only so many hours in the day, but this has become my priority in life and all else is on hold for the immediate future. I shall keep you posted of my progress. I shall be retiring to bed shortly, but will set my alarm early for my sunrise "Thing" rehearsal!!! Smile JR
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Roger, I'm glad to hear that you will be rehearsing with your "Thing" until it passes Powers standards of excellence.

There is no easy way for me to break this to you JR, but I thought you should know that rumor has it that there have been some 5 and 6 year old kids petitioning for your deportation back to England because they are infuriated by your lack of cohesiveness on your levitation routine.
writer25
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of writer25
There is no danger of Roger being deported back to England since it has come to my notice that there are many people on that tiny island who are petitioning for him not to be allowed back.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
In that case, maybe I should do a David Copperfield and buy my own island! Then I can spend my twilight years in isolation practicing "The Thing" on the beach. When I feel it is up to Powermagic's standard, I shall give a dress rehearsal to the Mermaids!! My dilemma will then be whether to wear my signature cloak and hat, or go for the Zucchini beachwear of shorts and a T shirt!! I have a long road ahead.....Smile JR
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
To answer the haters, don't SHOOOT THE MESSENGER. It is not my standard of excellence but a basic level of understanding of the The Thing as taught by Bill Abbott.
For practice you can where your undershirt and boxers.
For those who want to take this as an educational experience, here are some tips I would have given to him if he was open to them. Please note I normally charge for such advice, so consider this a freebie for all the laughs I have had from your comments.

1. Consider not tipping the box forward as the contents would spill out.
2. You have just tipped the box forward but then remove "some THING from the box and show it so why would you show it empty in #1?
3. The rise from the box is good but the peek under is not as good as it could be and does not need to be repeated twice.
4. With out a Verbal description of what is in the box, the rise from the box makes less sense and ads confusion. Abbot explains his invisible object and uses a clear box. Since your box is not clear it is better to have a magical object that is the magic rather than invisible. This and many ideas are explained on his DVD.
5. The escape or vanish of the thing is lost on them as you rushed into trying to get it to show up again.
6. It seems you had trouble getting the thing centered. From here on the illusion falls apart even more.
7. There is a lack of illusion of flying away from your hands. It is telegraphing the moves does not demonstrate the illusion of flying away from the hands as Abbott performs in the original.
8. The flapping up and down up and down on the box makes no sense of what you are doing. It looks like what it is, you flapping it up and down by your means not by the thing moving in the cloth. This is where the Platinum additional will really benefit your lessons as there is some mime training.
9. Holding your arms out looking for applause is not advisable. They only clapped because you asked them to. Compared to the table levitation, you can tell the audience was having trouble understanding what you were doing with the Thing. The illusion was not sold so they were not really reacting since they did not know what you were trying to sell. IN contrast they knew what was happing when the table levitated.
10. The only comment I have about the table levitation is that you should not remove the invisible object of power from the box without the table dropping to the ground? You have set up that the object in the box can float, and then float the table. But if you removed that object, wouldn't the table stop floating? So if you want to open the lid, take a peak and not remove the object or make the table start to lose altitude as it drops.
11. Be careful when flying the table back, the illusion falters if it appears you are pulling it. IF you can have it turn and move before you move, then the illusion is better. Again learning from Thing DVD can give you some valuable mine handling tips.
12. Again, I suggest considering toning down that exaggerated milking for applause, you could have gotten it in a more elegant fashion.
13. As stated earlier, you should consider taking the magic out of the box and putting in your pocket or in a locket and then fly.

These are suggestions to help develop a more cohesive routine for you and your audiences.
writer25
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of writer25
I could swear this is Potty! Still, everyone tells me that it can't be so I shall defer to them. Roger-I wonder if Kimmo could be correct?

Still, it is good that he makes those points and I think they are worth discussing. Roger will no doubt agree with every single one of them for spiritual reasons but I wonder what he really thinks? In any event it would be worth hearing other opinions on the matter.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-10-06 20:07, Powermagic wrote:
To answer the haters, don't SHOOOT THE MESSENGER. It is not my standard of excellence but a basic level of understanding of the The Thing as taught by Bill Abbott.
For practice you can where your undershirt and boxers.
For those who want to take this as an educational experience, here are some tips I would have given to him if he was open to them. Please note I normally charge for such advice, so consider this a freebie for all the laughs I have had from your comments.

1. Consider not tipping the box forward as the contents would spill out.
2. You have just tipped the box forward but then remove "some THING from the box and show it so why would you show it empty in #1?
3. The rise from the box is good but the peek under is not as good as it could be and does not need to be repeated twice.
4. With out a Verbal description of what is in the box, the rise from the box makes less sense and ads confusion. Abbot explains his invisible object and uses a clear box. Since your box is not clear it is better to have a magical object that is the magic rather than invisible. This and many ideas are explained on his DVD.
5. The escape or vanish of the thing is lost on them as you rushed into trying to get it to show up again.
6. It seems you had trouble getting the thing centered. From here on the illusion falls apart even more.
7. There is a lack of illusion of flying away from your hands. It is telegraphing the moves does not demonstrate the illusion of flying away from the hands as Abbott performs in the original.
8. The flapping up and down up and down on the box makes no sense of what you are doing. It looks like what it is, you flapping it up and down by your means not by the thing moving in the cloth. This is where the Platinum additional will really benefit your lessons as there is some mime training.
9. Holding your arms out looking for applause is not advisable. They only clapped because you asked them to. Compared to the table levitation, you can tell the audience was having trouble understanding what you were doing with the Thing. The illusion was not sold so they were not really reacting since they did not know what you were trying to sell. IN contrast they knew what was happing when the table levitated.
10. The only comment I have about the table levitation is that you should not remove the invisible object of power from the box without the table dropping to the ground? You have set up that the object in the box can float, and then float the table. But if you removed that object, wouldn't the table stop floating? So if you want to open the lid, take a peak and not remove the object or make the table start to lose altitude as it drops.
11. Be careful when flying the table back, the illusion falters if it appears you are pulling it. IF you can have it turn and move before you move, then the illusion is better. Again learning from Thing DVD can give you some valuable mine handling tips.
12. Again, I suggest considering toning down that exaggerated milking for applause, you could have gotten it in a more elegant fashion.
13. As stated earlier, you should consider taking the magic out of the box and putting in your pocket or in a locket and then fly.

These are suggestions to help develop a more cohesive routine for you and your audiences.

I actually think that all the points you make are excellent, Powermagic. I truly appreciate you taking the time to go over each one of them in great detail. JR
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-10-06 20:07, Powermagic wrote:
Please note I normally charge for such advice, so consider this a freebie for all the laughs I have had from your comments.

What do you typically charge for this advice?
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Thanks,
Now that we are friends, I hope I can ask a question about COI.

I am a little confused of the routine. In the video you posted and this one posted 3 years later, I was not quite sure if we see above the stool or not. The routine seems different in this clip as it shows your form. However , like the audience, seems a little confused on the illusion that is supposed to be portrayed. In this , the COI does not show above the stool so what should the audience have seen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EjIvtXgP5Y

Thanks for any insight.
writer25
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of writer25
I must say that I find this most amusing. I bet Roger hasn't read a single one of Powermagic's points!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On 2013-10-06 22:20, Powermagic wrote:
Thanks,
Now that we are friends, I hope I can ask a question about COI.

I am a little confused of the routine. In the video you posted and this one posted 3 years later, I was not quite sure if we see above the stool or not. The routine seems different in this clip as it shows your form. However , like the audience, seems a little confused on the illusion that is supposed to be portrayed. In this , the COI does not show above the stool so what should the audience have seen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EjIvtXgP5Y

Thanks for any insight.

Powermagic.............we have always been friends, just for the record!!!

The video you just posted was actually taken at a show I did in Sedona when John Kimmons and Tamar (Kimmo and Barmy Bella) were staying with us earlier this year. Kimmo actually made a guest appearance in the show. The last time we had worked together was at the Blackpool Convention when we were both in the world championship children's entertainer competition, and Kimmo deservedly won!!!

I am not quite sure of the point you are making on the video, so I will not comment at this stage. On this particular occasion it was not my normal routine, and the purpose was to produce an eagle. I believe the reason Kimmo has cut the eagle production out of the video is because it is a protected species!! One has to be jolly careful about these things in America!!! Smile JR

PS: Just to clarify, the part that Kimmo cut out of the video was quite incredible. Just imagine a huge live eagle appearing at the end of the show. It was truly AMAZING!! If Kimmo sees this post, I know he will endorse what I said as this was a moment in magical history never to be forgotten!!!
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1439 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Since you asked JR, it is because you are selling a product and I am still trying to find out if it is for me. But I looked back at an old thread and this one and not sure what the illusion is supposed to look like. I thought I knew but then after seeing this last performance I was confused as I see you stand on a stool, cloth in front, See you body form pushing on the cloth and the cloth move up. The camera seems focused on the stool where I assumed we would see under it and no feet. But in this case the cloth did not rise above the stool so not sure what the illusion is supposed to be an that maybe you can clarify as I am not sure if this is the effect you are selling, what the effect is. So was this video showing the effect as intended? I assumed this was a levitation but maybe it was bad camera work and maybe I am missing what the audience sees. The other video you posted was from the back and I assumed they saw under the stool for a 2 seconds but the quality of the video is not good. So after seeing this video where the stool is focused on , I asked for clarification.

So any clarification is appreciated.

BTW, since you are marketing this, idea. I wonder if you ever considered a better way to fold your cloth? It does seem like in both videos it takes some of the romance out of the effect to have to fiddle with putting together the cloth. Maybe something hinged would be smoother?
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1668 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Hello again Powermagic. Just to clarify, I am NOT selling the COI. I am selling a new DVD called "Merry Mayhem and Magic" where, as a small part of a 2 hour video, you will see a full explanation of the COI involving two different methods which can be used, depending on the height of the ceiling. In the video Kimmo took, the cloth did go above the stool, but Kimmo was standing at the back of the room so it did not appear from that angle that I rose above the stool. The kids sitting on the floor at the front will have seen that I rose above the stool, and the show was for them. I hope that makes sense. Jolly Good!!!:rotf: JR