The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Producing a Rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
You're kidding!
When did they stop producing The Ellusive Bunny Box?

Does anyone know the name of the production box that Starrpower described?

Regan
Mister Mystery
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
On 2004-03-21 09:10, mghia wrote:
So has anyone come up with a way to keep a rabbit cool on hotter days and still produce them?

I

I produce my rabbit Snowball using a large drawer box.

On warm or hot days, I have a frozen bottle (24oz pepsi) of water in her travel cage and I have a small square refreezable ice pack velcro fastened to the back of her section. She stays nice and cool. I produce her after the third or forth effect into the show using the drawer box as a way to see if the kids are yelling enough to "gather up the magic". It's kind of a running gag in the beginning having it empty each time till the kids are going nuts yelling. After production, Snowball whispers to me asking to stick around for a few tricks. I ask the kids if that's ok with them (DAH!) She then guides me from one effect to another until it's time for her to go into her traveling cage. This varies with the tempature, attitude of the kids etc. She then has to go either to get in by her air conditioning (The bottle) or because she has to use the bathroom (Newspaper) Either way, I say the she will be back after the show is over and they will be able to pet her IF THEY BEHAVE for the raminder of the show and if their parents say it is ok. I rarely have any problems during my kids shows as a result. Even the grown ups settle down some after that.
Hope this give you some ideas.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
If you are going to treat it well and let it get some exercise out of the cage, and give it a cage with mesh bottom and a tray below for cleaning, then get a rabbit. My favorite production is Barry Mitchell's Presto Pet Production, as it looks like an empty rabbit cage and is great for all kinds of "where'd my rabbit go?" gags. The other one I like a lot is Rabbit Wringer. I have tended not to use bags, as my bunny doesn't like being suspended, but rather always on a firm box floor.
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
I am looking to add a rabbit to my act, and am looking into different breeds.

Can you who have rabbits give some advice on what breeds are best for childrens shows, where the kids will pet the rabbit too.

I heard from a breeder that Netherland Dwarfs are not good tempered for this.

And I have also heard that a Hollond Lop is smaller than a Netherland Dwarf.

So can someone unpack this all, and give me a real world analysis of what rabbits are best for magic, and kids (I also have 5 kids so a rabbit would be a great family pet too, and I want my Girls to pick it out.)

Also I am planning on getting Wolfs Funhouse to do the production.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
I use the larger drawer box, as recommended by Mark Tripp.

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Over the past 40 years, I have had different breeds of rabbits, the dwarfs are best for most of the existing magic boxes on the Market.

As for rabbit temperment, I stay away from females (does), because they bite and scratch, however, others have not had that experience. None of the male (bucks) have demonstrated that except when there is anothe male in the cage or room. Both male fight, except my two Hotos, which have been together since birth.

Temperment relates also to how much attention you give them and if there ae dogs in the household. My rabbits can hold up against my dog, but I would never leave them alone. My beagle is naturally breed for rabbit hunting.

My Lop ear rabbit was not believed by the Daycare crowd as a rabbit because they thought it was a dog. Rabbit ears stick up.

I found also the larger the rabbit the more of a solfter temperment they have. Holding and petting a rabbit a lot also cubs the temperment.

In my shows, I place the rabbt in a hat and tell them if the rabbit puts his head down, he doesn't want to be petted anymore. (They always do and I do allow them all to pet it.)

As for choice of magic box, Wolf's Funhouse ranks in the top of Magic Box trick.
Other choices would include Barry Mitchell's Rabbit Cage, which you can see the paper on the bottom and you forgot to put the rabbit in bottom. It appears. This cage has two unique features. It is a travel cage and a magic trick. Very cool indeed.

The balloon to rabbit seems too work well and so does the production of a rabbit from a hat. (via bunny bag). I tried Eric lewis method but that workd only on real small rabbits, (baby rabbits) They generally get to big to use his method.

I have used the mirror box, bunny box, bambo box, sword box, mail box, drawer box, flat rabbit box, the cage, and the balloon box.

My top box tricks outside the Rabbit in the hat all work equally well, and in no specific order are:

• Barry Mitchell's Cage: Looks like a rabbit cage without the rabbit and the Kids produce it, very powerful
  • Plastic See Through Drawer Box by Dazzling Magic: It clearly is empty and you instantly see a rabbit appear!
  • Any Balloon Box: It is nice to make them appear with a pop of a balloon.

Because I now own two identical Hoto Rabbits I am reviseing my routine to produce the rabbit in the beginning of the show, vanish it and produce it in another location at the end of the show

One important point, when you do produce it... use it... for the next routine of magic or comedy. Ken Scott, Chris Caphart, and Andy Walker have DVDs where they use the rabbit after production with great success. It is important to do more with the rabbit then just appear it and put it away, even it if is only an educational lesson about rabbits.

One final point, make up your own mind what you want to do. There are many who don't use rabbits in their act and they have their own justifications for not using one. Remember that is their beliefs, create your own.
Dennis Michael
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Here is the cage from Barry Mitchell:

http://www.barrymitchell.com/products/in......oduction

Is the rabbit comfortable sitting in the half "V" angle of the load?

-Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I had a similar prop a while back and the rabbit never had any problems while in there. I just never put him in there for roo long of a time. I liked to give him plenty of air and make him as comfortable as possible. But I never had a problem with him being in there or in that confirguration.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Mitchell's box is fantastic, but I wouldn't use as a travel cage. One breeder secret to keeping rabbits clean (they really don't get diseases, so dirty isn't as much a health problem as one of hygiene for the kids who pet it), is to always have wire mesh under them with a cleaning tray below. This way, you catch their droppings and they don't have to step in them. It makes a big difference (not to mention keeps your prop in much better shape).
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
And following some Café poster advice, I've also been using the Kaboom box lately, and while mine doesn't always drop in a timely way, it's a great production if a kid volunteer pops one of the balloons to make it happen.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Mitchell's Cage and My Balloon box's "V" is forward several inces so they are not on the "V" but Flat.

Although I Have this, I have a nice cage with a wire bottom with lots of ventilation. I've used it so often, I really don't want to carry the rabbbit any other way. The wire mess bottom is from W-Mart (a wire mess baking tray)
Dennis Michael
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
Can someone give me a comparison between Mitchelle's Cage, and Wolf's Funhouse?

I like the colorful Funhouse and how it works, but I am unsure of the load area.

How big is the load area on Mitchell's Cage compared to Wolf's?

How big of a rabbit will sit in each respectively?

Thanks for the help.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
WisMel
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of WisMel
I use The Funhouse with my mini rex. He does fine but I don't think you would want to with a much larger rabbit.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 16:16, yfoog wrote:

Can you who have rabbits give some advice on what breeds are best for childrens shows, where the kids will pet the rabbit too.

So can someone unpack this all, and give me a real world analysis of what rabbits are best for magic, and kids (I also have 5 kids so a rabbit would be a great family pet too, and I want my Girls to pick it out.)

OK here goes.

I have always used either a Netherland Dwarf (different colors over the years)or mini Holland Lops (White w/blue eyes) and have never had one that bites or gives a problem. The key is to handle them quite often and have kids pet them as much as possible.

You can train them like a cat to go in a litterbox and after training, they can have the run of the room or house as you see fit.

These wonderful creatures are as stated Not props. They are not just pets either. They should be treated as and become PARTNERS in your childrens shows.

People notice how you treat your animals and their children, and how others do the same. I have had many people come to me after the show and comment on how well behaved Snowball is and how well I treat her comparing this to "so and so" who did a show for them in the past. Many of these have become regular customers and give referrels for me all the time.

Also another little bit of info you might find helpful. When I am looking for another rabbit, I try to get to the local Coounty fair and check out the 4H tent. There are always those who raise many different breeds and you can get a connection for the future or purchase one of the babies right then and there.

I hope some of this helps.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 16:16, yfoog wrote:

Yfoog,

Dennis already posted an excellent response, but I just wanted to second his position on Netherland Dwarf bunnies. I have owned 6 or 7 through the years, and they are fantastic! Only one was hateful, and it was a female. She never really tried to bite me, but she did not like to be handled like all my others. I used her for a while in my shows, but not very much. The males were just better. My main show bunny now is Himilayan-colored Netherland, and he is the best one I have ever owned. He seems to know when it's showtime!

Regan
Mister Mystery
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I use a duck bucket. It is durable and has gotten a lot of use. Tip: Always load the rabbit on the same side. You want to keep the other side pristine for display.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
That's not a problem at all. In fact, it's one of the first tricks any circus animal is taught. Before they go in the ring, they are 'whistled up' and they empty their bladders and bowls on command.

It's terribly easy to teach to any animal elephant or rabbit. I've trained many a horse and pony and dog to perform to order.

You'll have peace of mind together with a clean prop and an unblemished shirtfront.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I don't know about the Funhouse, but the Presto Production Box (Mitchell) is outstanding. Wolf's does great work, but sometimes it's great to go with a prop that looks ordinary, rather than "wacky." I do have the Kaboom Box (Daytona), which as far as I know is similar to the Funhouse, and I like empowering the kids by having them break the balloons that make the rabbit appear. But Mitchell's gets raves and the load area fits my Dutch Chocolate (medium - 6 pounds) with no problem.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3788 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Is Barry's Presto Production box deceptive at close range when loaded with the rabbit before the production.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Yes, the bottom which draws your eyes is newspaper.
Dennis Michael