The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Big Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks for the tip!
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Josh,
Heaps of great advice already in this topic. If I listed things I do, I would just be repeating the previous posts.

Having said that I wil put in my 2 cents anyway!
If you are having trouble, and nothing else is working try employing bodygaurds! Not real ones of course, but other kids from the audience (especially if there are bigger kids that don't seem to be an active part of the audience) One on each end of the rope/tape that you put down should stop any little sneakers getting to you or your table!.

don't be afraid to ask the organiser(politely) if they can remove the offender. You are payed to entertain, and that sort of behaviour can detract from the entertainment for everyone.

Try to avoid insulting or humiliating the child, as his parents or his parents friends may be thinking about booking you next, and its not the best idea to insult potential clients. Be firm and resonable.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
On the very rare occassions when I've had to resort to sending the child to the back 5 times in 7 years, it is done as a last resort, before I've got to that stage I've tried every gentle method I know to control him. I've been firm and reaonable,If once every other trick I know to control him has failed, and he is still spoiling the show, it's hard to perform with one eye firmly stuck on the brat, and every other sentence in your routine is, OK john leave sarah alone and sit down", i that's when I act and send him away. Have you noticed how the parents never come forward and deal with him themselves, (Words on paper don't actually discribe how i behave when I do it, you don't know my personallity, I'm not a ogre,)

Everytime i've done this at the end of the show when i'm packing up I've had adults come up and comment fabourably on the way I handled it. (I've had one brats Mum come up and apologies.) As for upsetting the boys parents and therefore them not booking me in the future, well I don't want to do his party anyway. (note I say he, it's always a boy).

It's never effected my work load one bit,

A magician here in plymouth went to a school, he got a 6 year old boy up to help, Said "Hi What's your name?" and the kids said "What the F$%^&^&**5 has it got to do with you" He packed his stuff and walked out, and the school had to send him a letter of apology, along with his payment.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.