The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: Ideas on performing around the topic sleep (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Are there any nice walk around effects or PLOTS(!) around the topic "sleep"? I thought about using some watch effects maybe, and doing triumph with a little story how I woke up and everything was back as before. Stuff like this. Maybe even some jokes about "sleep" with sponge bunnies where you talk about "side effects of "sleeping"..Not sure though. Anya effects, ideas, plots regarding the topic sleep or watches would be greatly appreciated!

edit: any ideas maybe for a ACR regarding the topic sleep? That would be great because acr is a pillar in my walk around routine
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
I think you could do a rather effective "sleep" walkaround piece with Alchemy Moon's The King in Green (Gemini Artifacts). Basically the story would be that sometimes we don't know when we're asleep and dreaming and when we're awake. Sometimes we could be dreaming and not know it, and one sure sign is when objects seem to shift and change without explanation. Use this as the frame story to introduce The King in Green, and allow only a single spectator to become aware of the significant change in the object used in the routine. Pretty much guarantee it would be powerful to end a routine on sleep and dreams.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Thank you!
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
theocreswell
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
61 Posts

Profile of theocreswell
There is the classic myth of mutual dreaming (where you and someone else share the same dream) you could use this as an opener for a mind reading effect, where they think of something from a recent dream but rather than revealing it as mind reading, you say that you too had that dream and reveal the thing they are thinking about. You two have a 'sleep connection'

You could do something with Glemme by Patrick Redford (a selection of brilliant routines where the spectator forgets information). You could put forward that you could send people to sleep without even them knowing, and that really they are dreaming. You could prove this by waking them up and asking them to remember the information and they can't, just like a dream. With clever audience management this could be really strong. (This includes a card effect if that interests you)

A paralysis routine by adapting Derren Brown's PK work to change the effect you have on the person (change from moving their arm, to not letting them move at all) - not originally for close up but again with clever audience management it could be miracle stuff.

I really like ProfessorMagicJMG's idea I think you would get some amazing reactions
theocreswell
View Profile
New user
Surrey, UK
61 Posts

Profile of theocreswell
Equally you could just slip them a few Xanax, wait for it to kick in and pretend you made them sleep with your mind.

(This is a joke, don't do this)