The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: Gold* (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
'The Book of Gold' by, alpine fine arts

I picked up this book at a garage sale this weekend for 25c, can you believe it...
In it is a section on fairy tales, golden eggs, apples, palaces, horses, birds, the list is extensive. It has a special section on the tree of life and golden apples.
In fact this book contains everything there is to be known about gold, mythology, religion, wars, objects, theres a huge section on Alchemy, the information put forth is very interesting to say the least. I would suggest anyone interested in any of the stuff mentioned check it out. I also found a semi chunky gold ring with a sunburst type carving and a central red ruby, a true wizards ring, $2, it was dirty as hell but it looks powerful now...
any thoughts on the subject of gold I'd love to hear them, but I can't say enough about this book, every page has beautiful colour prints, really, really, nice...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The story of King Midas where everything he touches turns to gold comes to mind.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 20:27, Jaz wrote:
The story of King Midas where everything he touches turns to gold comes to mind.

Your wish is my command...

pg.20 The quest for gold in ancient greece.

The testimony of early historians, the storys of Homer, legend, myth and the findings of archeologists blend together to provide us with a still imperfect knowledge of how gold reached Greece during its time of historic glory and how the Greeks extracted gold from the ground and from their rivers.
The story of the River Pactolus suggests that gold was extracted there by methods of "washing". It was called the 'River of White Gold' and the 'River of the Sun Metal', possibly due to the high silver content of the gold it bore. The owed it fabled riches to the legendary King Midas to whom the Gods had granted a dubious gift. Midas had wished that everything he touched turned to gold, and it did, including - to his grief - food and drink. Near to starvation he was reprieved, commanded to bathe in the Pactolus and was thus released from his "golden touch".
The river was said to flow with gold from that day on....

Nice...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I think I read that he was also known for his rose garden.
Got a gold rose?