The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: Wedding Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
What kind of patters are suitable? What kind of effects will you perform?
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Card fusions such as "Anniversary Waltz".
Effects and patter about uniting, joining together.

Props like sponge hearts, linking rings, credit cards, locks, balls and chains come to mind. Smile

Maybe something about honeymoons?

"Gypsy Thread" or other torn and restored effects can have patter about how when the marriage is based on lust it often is torn to pieces. When based on love and respect, it can be eternal.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3077 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
It depends what you've been hired to do. Are you doing a floor show, walkaround during cocktail hour, or table-to-table?

In general, you may want to steer clear of effects themed around death or sexual dysfunction. Just a thought.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Jumbo split deck, the happy couple amazingly finds matching cards showing how perfect a couple they are.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Anniversary Waltz - definitely.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
What's a good resource for learning the Anniversary Waltz?
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
It's an effect by Doc Eason... You can buy it from his site and it costs about 20 dollars. I don't know if I would do cardtricks on a wedding, but then again , I don't do cardtricks at all. Perhaps mindreading, something with roses, PK touches with bride and groom...
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
I did the Anniversary Waltz to a couple, which then booked me for their weddings in March, I THINK I will do it again. Its great effect, and the couple that you do this effect for feel so good about themselves, so is great.
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Working a wedding is basically table-hopping. I wonder what you already perform for table-hopping or if you have any experience table-hopping (if not you will get plenty at the wedding). I recommend that you perform those close-up routines that you already do well and are self-resetting or require no reset.

You might want to check out this thread too:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=5

and

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Those threads talk about wedding receptions, performing for the Bride and Groom, etc.

Remember, the wedding reception is about the Bride. At some point make her the star!

I do a fair amount of wedding receptions simply because I make the
bride the center of attention. That is, I do a stand-up, cabaret style routine using the bride as the star.

Later I do the table-hopping. By the way, the only card trick I do is
card to wallet. I simply don't do other card tricks. Everybody's uncle
(an many aunts) knows a few card tricks (and some of them good too!) and they want to take my deck and show it to their friends and me. Don't laugh this has happened. I left the deck with the uncle and moved on. He spent an hour or so entertaining his table (he was actually good!). I spent my time at other tables.

So now, lesson learned, I try for something different (no cards!). I tend to try to do in the spectator's hands routines. I recommend that you inventory all the close-up magic you have. Lay the props for each routine on a table, bed, or floor. Now, identify the ones that you can easily carry in your various pockets without them getting in the way of using your pockets for a trick (I eliminate those items that need a pocket to perform). Then identify those tricks/routines that reset themselves or require no reset. Finally, pick the best six of the tricks and get to work!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Harry,

I like the suggestion to make the bride the centre of attention at some point - good call.

I attended a wedding only a couple of months ago where a very well known - and EXCELLENT uk mentalist was one of the guests. With only a deck of cards, his business cards and his wallet, he took the room! He spent a good hour, perhaps two, table hopping and ended up leaving all the guests wanting to see more!

It was a joy to watch - and for my part? seemed all the more special because it appeared he didn't have anything very obviously prepared - just looked like a pack of cards from his pocket as an impromptu magic/mentalism performance!

Show the routines / effects you do well - the guests will love being entertained - and will talk about the wedding for many weeks thereafter too!

Best
ML x
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Great advice from Harry and funny story the uncle who took the cards, this happens to me all the time, but the usually do one trick and it takes ages, I yet to come a cross uncle doing a good trick.

Harry , can you please give some ideas into making the bride a star? I usually make the groom a star at the same time(the couple), but I would like to eliminate the groom hehe

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17423 Posts

Profile of joseph
Gary Kurtz ring on pencil would fit in nicely here....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When I work a wedding, I usually perform the ceremony first, then stroll at the tables later.

It helps to be a minister.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Later, at the baby shower, be sure to perform sponge rabbits!
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
481 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I would check out Garrett Thomas' Anniversary Waltz on Volume 2. I find myself using it constantly when I'm at a wedding.....
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Absolutely Docs Anniversary Waltz!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Anniversary Waltz is a great effect to perform at weddings.

BUT what about stand up effects that involve the bride and groom?

I would like to perform a good mentalism routine that involves the bride and groom. What about something like confabulation regarding where the happy couple will be in 5 years time...they will have X no. of kids, etc. Any ideas along these lines???

thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
dicedealer007
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dicedealer007
I will put my vote in for anniversary waltz as well. I have never made as much money in tips as I have with this effect. I highly recommend it to anyone.