The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Magic Tea Kettle Gospel idea (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: This most likely has been thought of before, but I thought I'd post it anyway as an original idea.

When I was at the Abbott's Magic showroom in Colon last Saturday, I picked up the "Magic Tea Kettle" www.AbbottMagic.com This is a very common children's effect sold by many dealers.

This tea kettle would be an another easy way to illustrate the colors of "The Good News Bracelet"- commonly used at many Vacation Bible Schools to explain the Gospel to kids in an easy to remember format. Just Google "The Good News Bracelet" or "The Gospel Bracelet" for a review of the colors used to explain the Gospel: usually black, red, white, green and gold (some have blue as well).

So after pouring out the different colors out of the same kettle, I will probably pull out a large "Jesus"/Laflin production silk out of the kettle (it has a very roomy load chamber). Be sure to get liquid food coloring as gel or solid paste coloring will not work.
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
Child Evangelism Fellowship (C.E.F.) have "The Wordless Book" with those colours. (They also have an 'illustrated' 'Wordless Book'...
Well worth looking up "Child Evangelism Fellowship" https://www.cefonline.com/freedemos/wordlessbook/ for in depth 'patter'
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Thank you Magic Bus. I am always looking for a fun story for younger audiences. I love the Kettle illusion and have used it quite a bit in a similar fashion. I just wanted to share a fun way to dress up the prop and add more color and fun: A great choice for a stage prop for me was to buy a decorative enameled kettle. I use one with a Cow pattern and it lends to many punny jokes! You may also chose a chicken, giraffe, elephant, duck, bee hive or many other styles of enameled whistling tea kettles. Just use a search engine. They can be found at most big box stores as well. To make the device work all you need is a 24oz. clear "Solo" cup and some water proof silicone adhesive. You an figure out the rest! I call my kettle a "Whole Steam" kettle (Holstein) I use it to pour out a "spot" of tea. I use the magic word, "COW a bunga". I "Moooooove" the glasses around on the table. It can be used for "Ooooohlonghorn" tea! Lots of fun before I get to the serious gospel message. I use the traditional colors you describe above then take out all of the silks and pour out clear water for "Water of Life."
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
This is what I use the tea kettle for the following routine. 23rd Psalm
The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want. (Pour clear water into the color free glass.) He is the source of all my needs. Food, money, water..........

(Pull out the green silk and wrap it around the stem of the glass with the blue food coloring in it. Put the lid back on and pour the water into the glass.) He maketh me lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me besides the still waters.

(Pull out the red silk and pour the water into the glass with the red food coloring in it.)He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. He is my Lord, my Savior and He comforts me.

(Pull out the black silk, put the lid back on and pour out water into the glass with the dark food coloring in it.) Yea though I walk through the valley of shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff comfort me. The Bible says we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. We don’t stop in it, we don’t get stuck in it, we go through it and out the other side. So no matter how bad the situation seems to be, we will get through it and God will be with us the entire time. We can rest on Him throughout the situation.

(Pull out the yellow silk and pour the water into the glass with the yellow food coloring in it.) Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointed my head with oil: my cup runneth over. Traditionally the honored guest at a banquet is anointed with oil. God does that for us. We are His honored guests.

(Pick up the first glass with the clear water in it.) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Pour out clear water) God is holy and pure and His love and kindness will be with you and me forever.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
The magic tea kettle has been part of my show and lecture for many many years. back in 2005 I was invited to perform and lecture at the FCM convention.
during my "got Gospel Ideas" lecture I performed my routine and shared the workings.

i am actually working on a few ideas to try to put out a new DVD with all my Gospel and testimony magic effects. still praying and trusting the lord as to how to proceed.

indeed this is the perfect example of a secular trick that meshes perfectly with a gospel presentation.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Going back to the original post, regarding the food coloring, I buy plastic stemware from a "Party" store that are very decorative and put a drop of liquid food color in the bottom or a couple of different color drops for different colors. I allow them to dry completely out in the bottom of the cups and make them in sets of 4 or 5 glasses depending on what I am doing. The cups are very inexpensive. Think 12 for $4.99 or so. I make up several sets and allow them to dry out completely. Even MONTHS later, by pouring the water carefully and directly onto the spot in the bottom of the cup, the color blooms out just fine. They are so inexpensive, I never worry about breaking one and I usually have two sets with me dry and ready to go.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I have used the stemed glasses from the dollar tree (shorter stems) and a drop of food color rests IN the stem.
The Tea Kettle is a favorite.

Sam, I think you should release that idea soon!
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Yes Jamie, that is the exact one. The drop of color rests in the funnel shaped bottom of the stem and is almost invisible. If you still feel uncomfortable with the visual, you can paint the area at the bottom of the flute where the color rests with white nail polish or model paint and the entire section becomes invisible from just a couple of feet away
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Gotcha - the Dollar Stores have everything... they may be my favorite magic shops!
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com