The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Discoverie of Witchcraft (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
If you haven't read or don't own Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot yet, you have a great opportunity to buy a beautifully produced hardback at an unbelievable price at http://www.hocus-pocus.com. Only $12.95 plus shipping!

Kaufman and Co's authentic reproduction of this classic text, originally published in 1584 by Reginald Scot. In addition to the complete original text, this volume also includes an insightful introduction by Montage Summers detailing the historical importance of this groundbreaking text.

Although many talk about the magic tricks that Scot discusses in his book, in my opinion, his real contribution is showing the glory and majesty of God as he points out that only God has the power to perform true supernatural acts.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What would demonic possession be if not supernatural, or does the author not believe in Satan?
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Matthew 7:22-23: "Many will say to me (Jesus) in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!" - This verse and others show that signs and wonders can and are practiced via Satanic/Demonic supernatural power, and not by the power of God for His Glory. Witchcraft, Divination, Necromancy, Sorcery are all real practices FORBIDDEN by God for a reason. I have read this book, and appreciate what it did to open the eyes of those who are merely superstitious; but supernatural evil is still real and very different from "tricks" or "effects" of magicians and entertainers.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 21:45, Danny Kazam wrote:
What would demonic possession be if not supernatural, or does the author not believe in Satan?

Yes, Scot believes in Satan. I should have clarified my statement by defining "true supernatural acts" as "miracles."

Scot and Thomas Ady ("A Candle In the Dark") are very helpful in understanding what God can do and what Satan and demons cannot do.

My book, "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena", might be considered a concise contemporary presentation of some of the subject matter in those two books.

Terry
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Unfortunately this is a reprint of the 1930 Montague Summers edition and not a facsimile edition of the earliest existent volume. It's the same edition that Dover reprints. However the Kaufman imprint is of a much higher quality, hardbound and the same size as the edition it's reproducing. A fine volume, but unfortunately there are a few minor textual differences from the original as the book was completely reset.

Montague Summers is also a rather interesting fellow. He believed in the existence of witches, werewolves and vampires and wrote several curious books devoted on them. He fancied himself a modern day witch hunter and published a re-print of Malleus Maleficarum one of the popular witch hunting manuals of its day.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
neilbird
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of neilbird
I have this book somewhere.... Must dig it out.
Once I have had a little read, I may come back and comment.
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 23:04, Stephon Johnson wrote:
...Witchcraft, Divination, Necromancy, Sorcery are all real practices FORBIDDEN by God for a reason...supernatural evil is still real and very different from "tricks" or "effects" of magicians and entertainers.

You got that right, Stephon! It is VERY real. I hesitate to categorize it as "supernatural evil". Too simple a term, I'm afraid. The depth to which it extends is beyond our understanding. As much as our society would like to believe, we are NOT alone in this universe.

There are...others. They are all too glad to come when called! Who do you think TAUGHT mankind how to practice Witchcraft, Divination, Necromancy, Sorcery and such in the first place? The Watchers! They are the "Fallen Ones", the "...angels who had supreme authority but did not keep it and left their appointed sphere..." (Jude verse 6, referring to Genesis 6:1-2)

It would be arrogant and ignorant to assume those beings are not still around. Don't believe in UFO's? Don't worry, you WILL! And in the not too distant future. What we found on the back side of the moon will change EVERYTHING when it is revealed. This is VERY real.

Much care must be exercised when dealing with "the supernatural". It is not all evil. It is not all good. It just "IS". We must be discerning. Myself, I don't like messing with the unknown. That's why I avoid seances and that kind of magic.

Ouija boards CAN be dangerous. I won't go near one of those either. You might laugh, and that is fine. I have had things..."happen" to me. Totally unexplainable. Totally unbelievable. I no longer laugh at people who see UFO's, ghosts, and experience the paranormal. I've seen it myself first hand.

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 21:14, Terry Holley wrote:
..Although many talk about the magic tricks that Scot discusses in his book, in my opinion, his real contribution is showing the glory and majesty of God as he points out that only God has the power to perform true supernatural acts.

Terry

That's really the subject of this topic, though. Sorry to take you off into that direction! Smile
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
One of the original copies of the above book I have held in my hands- they have it under lock and key in The American Musuem of Magic in Marshall, Michigan. You can see it most likely upon request? (the curator showed it to our Ring 211 IBM group when we went on a full tour of this amazing museum...). This is also the home of many priceless magic items including one of Houdini's original milk cans, one of Henning's Zig-Zags, original Blackstone Sr. props, Neil Foster's Zombie ball, and a zillion magic posters including a massive Houdini poster where it just has only his name on it (it was assumed by then the public already knew what he did).
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
Just thought I would share.. not so reasonably priced but very cool nonetheless

http://www.abaa.org/details.php?dcx=679198631&aid=bkfndr#

-Bobby
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 10:01, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
Just thought I would share.. not so reasonably priced but very cool nonetheless

http://www.abaa.org/details.php?dcx=679198631&aid=bkfndr#

-Bobby

Very cool! But alas, a few thousand over what I can afford. Smile

Terry
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2046 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
The "wonders" performed by those who Christ will turn away aren't necessarily legitimate. Ever seen a group of people onstage get "slain in the Spirit?" It's indistinguishable from a hypnosis stunt. The "minister" sweeping his arm in the air or touching foreheads to make it happen may well believe the power of God is working through him, but it is more likely the power of belief that causes people to fall over. I'm sure I'm upsetting someone by suggesting it's a stunt. You may have at one time been so overcome by God's presence that you fell on your knees. I doubt a minister has ever had the power to touch your forehead and bring you into the presence of God so quickly that you fell down. I heard of a lady who sued because she hurt herself when she fell like that during a service. I find it funny that she sued the preacher; the Spirit of God was not listed as a Defendant in the lawsuit.

In my show sometimes I stick people's clasped hands together. It works by belief: if you believe I'm a hypnotist and you accept the thought-cycle I suggest to you ("the harder you try to unSTICK your hands, the more stuck they become... the more you try to unSTICK them really hard, the more they lock tightly together..."), your hands will stick. They won't release until you believe you can release them. I verbally plant the suggestion, it's up to you to accept my suggestion. If you're a participant who wants to see me succeed, if you believe I have the power to control your mind as a hypnotist, and if you believe you might look defective somehow if your hands don't stick, you'll be sure to let them stick together.

If you intend to plunge into an argument about being slain in the Spirit, you can read more here first: http://carm.org/questions/about-church/w......n-spirit My purpose in bringing it up is this: I'm convinced that when I've seen people "slain" before they were reacting to suggestion, just as if they were in a hypnosis show. But it is likely that some ministers who perform this stunt believe they are doing it for real, i.e., that the Spirit is working through them. (For interesting viewing, here's an atheist hypnotist posing as an evangelist, trying a similar "falling" stunt on another atheist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbu-uz4qD1A )

In the world of psychics there are cold-readers who know they are frauds, then there are what we call "shut-eyes" who believe they are psychic but use cold-reading techniques they learned on their own. Likewise, there are fake miracle-workers who know they're fake, there are some who think they can sometimes do it for real, and there are some who are fake but believe they are real. None do verifiable miracles like healing someone's withered hand or restoring sight to a man everyone knows has been born blind (John 8).

I am a Christian. I believe God became a man and lived here with us, that He performed true miracles, that He was killed as a heretic, that He rose from the dead. I believe all sorts of things that unbelievers say are foolish. I have support for the things I believe, however, and Christ's miracles were physical, visible, and verifiable by the testimony of many witnesses. It's true that exorcisms performed by Christ could have appeared as counterfeits to onlookers (they might need to explain why a herd of pigs ran off a cliff), but his other miracles, his teaching and the Scriptures affirm both his spotless character and his deity. In contrast, as the author of the above referenced article from carm.org already pointed out, sensational "wonders" of certain so-called ministers are "unverifiable, ostentatious, and could very well be nothing more than the overcoming power of emotions of a person." I believe many of them on the last day will say, "Lord, lord".

I've read anecdotes by a sensationalist Christian author claiming that Satan caused pictures to spin upside down on walls. Apparently in one of his books he claimed one morning in the bathroom a demon bit his hand. He's either 1) an idiot, 2) a madman or 3) a fraud. I suspect door number three. Credulous Christians love sensational stories and treat them as gospel, to their later embarrassment.

You may believe in all sorts of legitimate miracles but that doesn't mean you should be a chump. If you're a magician you should know when you're deceiving people it doesn't matter what you do, it matters what they think you can do. PLEASE don't give Satan more credit than he deserves. Glory goes to God the limitless one.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Although I believe in Miracle healings, I also believe that many of the so called healers you see on t.v are frauds. I agree with what you are saying.

Some of them have even been proven to be frauds yet they keep on going. People will walk away from the truth for exchange of things that will tickle their fancy. Many will be led astray like sheep to be slaughtered. But, I also do not underestimate the power of Satan, and what he is permitted to do. Look what he was allowed to do to Job. Look at how many times demons have possessed bodies during Christ's time and after. Christ wasn't the only one to exorcise demons, nor heal. Satan is the prince of the world and has been manipulating minds for years.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Although I believe in Miracle healings, I also believe that many of the so called healers you see on t.v or frauds. Some of them have even been proven to be frauds yet they keep on going. People will walk away from the truth for exchange of things that will tickle their fancy. Many will be led astray like sheep to be slaughtered. But, I also do not underestimate the power of Satan, and what he is permitted to do. Look what he was allowed to do to Job. Look at how many times demonshave possessed bodies during Christ's time and after. Satan is the prince of the world and has been manipulating minds for years.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2046 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Yes. After obtaining God's permission, Satan took Job's wealth, his children, and is physical health. Manipulating minds is what he does best - I think it kills more people. The battleground is almost always in the mind.

A Candle in the Dark sounds interesting. I read briefly about it on Wikipedia's page about Thomas Ady. I own Terry's book but haven't picked it up since I moved apartments; I think we should each own a copy.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1178 Posts

Profile of Russo
Satan sure does manipulate minds - as most of you know I had Prostate/cancer surgery July - last followup was GREAT_ and next in June- also Cardiac last exam was good -next also in June - but the ups and downs feeling of internal surgery that may last a year or so(per Dr.& Nurses and family/friends whos had internal surgery - this was my 1st in the past 70 of my 76 years) the BAD / Down (no depression) feeling -constantly now and then, some hours apart, some days apart- Satan is really using to stick me (rember Pauls problems)- but just lateley GOD/JESUS said to me "Your NOT as Sick as you THINK you are" it helps - but its still there . Ive felt the LORDS arms around my Shoulder and that's HELPING _ MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. Ralph (russo)Rousseau
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
By the way, if you are ever at The American Museum of Magic in Marshall, Michigan, they have locked away one of the few original copies. Our Ring 211 tour got to look at "Discoverie of Witchcraft" personally, the kind Museum Director got it out for us to view. Wonderful museum, including having one of the original Houdini milk cans. Up on the second floor, there are a bunch of original FCMer Andre' Kole posters. Neil Foster's Zombie ball was there too along with many Blackstone items and Doug Henning's Zig Zag from "The Magic Show." If you get in the "file section"- they have file folders on many FCMers including John de Vries.