The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: 'Sunday School' Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
I have been asked to do some magic at my Church's 'Sunday School' in October. All I have been told is the term's themes, which are:

- Peter - the disciple (including his denial & forgiveness)
- Peter - empowered in Acts (healing, preaching, raising the dead, etc)
- Peter - escapes from prison (the cost of following)
- Philip & the Ethiopian
- God & me - he knows me (Ps 139)
- God & me - he has plans for me (Jer 29:11)
- God & me - heaven, eternity with him (Revelation)
- God & me - he loves me
- God & me - it's good to ask questions
- Christmas - Isaiah & Old Testament references
- Christmas - Elizabeth & Zephaniah's song
- Christmas - Mary's song
- Christmas - Simeon and Anna's song

Any suggestions (be they card tricks, props, gags, etc.) would be much appreciated!

Sam
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
What do you have to work with? We can give you a list that would really cost you, or you could give us a list of effects that you have and we can give suggestions based on that.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Wow - that's a lot of themes for October. Need more info. Are you doing a 5 min object talk for each Sunday? All ages?
I would press them for the scripture references, and more than that, what the take away point is for each Sunday you are there. I notice when I'm preparing for the various VBS programs that they might have a verse, title and a take away point for each day. Chose whichever one gives you an idea on how you can present it.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it is a 10 minute talk for 7-11 year olds, so I need a quick trick each week to illustrate the message. At the minute I can't get any more information (e.g. scripture references) as the term is currently being planned, and they would like me to decide which weeks would be good to put magic in. Sorry - I know this lack of information isn't too helpful, but any ideas based on the 'term's themes' above would be great.

Regarding what I have to work with, I have done children's parties (and most other kinds of magic!) in the past so have most 'classical' props; I'm also able to borrow from magician friends, so am open to any suggestions!

Thanks - hope this gives a little more information,

Sam
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I applaud your committee for wanting to involve you during the planning process, but without knowing what the take away point is, the danger is that you'll be talking about one thing and the teacher will be talking about something else. Instead of complimenting each other, you might be speaking in different tongues, so to speak.

That said (and these ideas are all a little weak and need tweaking):
- Peter - escapes from prison (the cost of following): 100 foot rope escape. Man/world/Satan can try to tie us down and stop us from teaching about Jesus, but God can protect us and help us to overcome these obstacles.
- Philip & the Ethiopian: Do the lemon juice appearing message thing. Only with God's help can His message be revealed to us
- Peter - empowered in Acts (healing, preaching, raising the dead, etc): Any trick where the volunteer does the magic. When empowered with the Holy Spirit we can do remarkable things.
- Peter - the disciple (including his denial & forgiveness): Bending mirror. By denying Jesus, Peter "broke" his ability to have fellowship with God. But He repented and was forgiven and Jesus made him whole again.

Check my video blog: http://biblein5minutes.blogspot.com/ for other illustrations you might be able to use.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA