The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: King of Hearts = Jesus? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
I've seen quite a few Gospel card tricks on the market or performed by others where the King of Hearts is used to represent Jesus. In a way, I can understand (He is the King of Kings, after all), but in another sense, I don't.

Personally, I use the King of Hearts for God (the Father) and the JACK of Hearts for Christ (J for Jesus, and the Son of God.) I think it works quite well. Of course, to do this, I've had to slightly re-work some of the tricks I've bought or read, but it's never anything major.

I guess I have a couple of questions about this -- first, is the King of Hearts the "standard" card used to represent Jesus? If so, what's the reasoning, and what do you do for tricks requiring a card representing God? (I've seen one that uses the Ace of Spades, for example. I'm sure there are others.) And do any of you use another card to represent Jesus? (If so, which card and why?)

Just curious. Thanks!
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."
-- Philippians 4:23
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I do Harry Anderson's three card monarch with a Gospel routine about finding the face of Christ on everyone we see. It is produced in all King of hearts - this is why I use the K in this instance.

I will say this: I wouldn't worry too much about the relationship of one card to another when using a Gospel routine. We're already using something as flip as a card trick to tell a story, there's only so much seriousness we can put into what stands for what. All representations of God in material form will fall short. So to take one option too seriously over another may just be a moot point. I wouldn't fret about it. After all, Jesus compares the kingdom of God to a mustard seed and a lost coin.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Jack of clubs... The "J.C." card.

I have used this card in a gospel oriented card effect.
Actually it's a forced selection but I act as if it was somewhat accidental that the jack of clubs, the JC card was selected.... this will represent Jesus...

There's one suggestion for you.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The King of Hearts is more widely known as the Suicide King (he is after all traditionally depicted plunging a sword into his head) thus some might be offended choosing a card which so graphically pictures a mortal sin being used to represent their god.
The Jack (or Knave) of Hearts is known by many to be of questionable moral character as he is a thief. He did after all, according to the famous nursery ryhme, steal some tarts. Thus he is in violation of one of the Ten Commandments and ill suited to represent the son of god.
The Ace of Spades as long been associated with death and destruction. It bears the monicer of the Death Card. Since god is the god of life everlasting some might find him being represented by a card that carries such morbid meaning to be in bad taste.
God is infinite so clearly he could be represented by any and all cards.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 12:33, Payne wrote:
The King of Hearts is more widely known as the Suicide King (he is after all traditionally depicted plunging a sword into his head) ...

Interestingly, I had someone tell me this is why they did use the King of Hearts to represent Jesus. Not that Jesus committed suicide, but that He did die for us. I thought that was a different take on things ...

(By the way, I always thought the the idea of the KH "commiting suicide" was kind of silly -- looks to me like he's simply holding the sword behind his head, ready to strike. But whatever.)
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I force the king of hearts (use whatever you are most confortable with.), then I tell them that I have the card they have written down, already predicted it. It has Jesus written down, they look so confused, and say no, then I ask "Isn't Jesus the King of Hearts"
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I am just curious, how is the Ace of Spades like Jesus.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I don't believe anyone said the Ace of Spades is like Jesus!

The discussion has been on the King of Hearts being the Jesus card.
Robert Hill has a great routine in The King is Coming, and has excellent patter using the King of Hearts.
Arthur
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hey my fellow Majis,

I use the King of Hearts to represent Jesus, With a silk, or card magic.

But that is news to me that the king of hearts is known as the Suicide King,

Most standard English playing cards used today derived from the original French models produced in the mid-16th century. For the purpose of mass production, the earliest cards were printed using woodblocks. Disfiguring occurred over the centuries as unskilled block makers distorted the original designs, resulting in hands, symbols of office and other attributes losing their meaning. Among the many distortions that took effect, the King of Hearts not only lost his moustache, but the axe he was originally holding became a sword.

that's what I know of the King of Heart.

As for me JC will always be the King of Hearts.

Ricky you did not get back to me about the new paper cross story I told you about?

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have known about the suicide king reference for a long time. Although I still have no problem using the king of hearts as representing Christ in some effects. I have both packet version and large stage version of the 3 card motne "King of Hearts" and have used them both. For me personally, I wanted an alternate card for a different effect and came up with what I call the J.C. card (jack of clubs) just for as a variation. Which is what I thought RickyD was looking for and it was RickyD that brought up the whole Ace of Spades question.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
GlenD, that's exactly what I was looking for, to see what alternatives people used for Jesus (vs. "King of Hearts"), as well as to find out why people who did use the King of Hearts chose to use that card. (I'd never really thought of the "JC" card. Very interesting ...)

And as far as the Ace of Spades goes -- I read back through my original post, and I see that it might have been just a bit confusing. What I meant was, if you use the King of Hearts to represent Jesus, you have to use something else to represent God, and I know some people who use the Ace of Spades to represent God.

One or two Gospel card tricks I perform involve both God and Jesus, so I use the KH and JH respectively. Does that clear that up any, or did I make it worse?
GlennDawson
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
2 Posts

Profile of GlennDawson
I can't say I invented the concept but I did come up with the Gospel application for the King of Card/Jesus face card trick, back in the 60's I gave this idea to Dock Haley at the Winona Lake Fellowship of Christian Magicians Convention. Of course you can do anything you want with a card setup and use any story you need to to make your point. And there are variations of of all kinds of use of props. They all are useful to the performer. When I presented the application to Doc Haley, I used the Christ Card to represent the King of Hearts because as Christians we ask Jesus into our hearts and lives to become the center of our lives. He is in fact King of our Hearts. That doesn't mean you can't use it for something else. Glenn Dawson
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1183 Posts

Profile of Russo
Check out the Western song - I think its called "Deck of Cards" - where a Soldier used a deck of cards as a prayer book and was arrested for playing cards??-in chapel. I printd behind each card(Jumbo the reference . Very succesfull - especially about being judgmental
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2870 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Kutless has a great song "King of My Heart". In close up, when the King of Hearts is chosen, I make a casual reference that He is the real King of my own heart. In Max Maven's B'Wave DELUXE set, the KH can be chosen to 50 percent of the time. The Psychic Spinner by Dalton Wayne fidget spinner also has the KH as the second reveal card. Both of these excellent tricks available from www.penguinmagic.com for under $20.
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
I’m using King of Hearts for Jesus in a few tricks. In my country I never heard about KH as the suiside king or some of the others mentioned in this thread.

Torben, Denmark
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
The King of Hearts is a great card to use for the the King of Kings, The Lord Jesus! We want you in our heart, perfect tie in! Amen
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
332 Posts

Profile of TomB
Jack of hearts makes a good card of Christ. I understand the king of hearts would be the Father.

My question is there are other kings, how do you explain the other kings, as God has no equal.
kellycards347
View Profile
New user
Canada
19 Posts

Profile of kellycards347
The trick I'm working on tells the Gospel story with the whole deck. I use the Ace of Spades to represent the One True God. I use all 4 kings to represent Jesus, hahah. The first King is because Jesus is the King, the next two Kings are because he is not only the King but the King of Kings, and the final KING OF HEARTS which is actually a version of the King with my face is because Jesus is the KING of my HEART.
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
But should we represent god as a human. Being sarcastic but also semi-serious.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1183 Posts

Profile of Russo
I've mentioned this before - above - just reminds me about the story from "Deck of Cards" where an Army Boy was brought upon charges for using a deck of cards in CHAPEL - he explained how the deck of cards was his Bible - Prayer Book - etc. and explained how.. I used a giant deck with the explanation typed behind each card - using the IDEA about being Judgmental.