The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads :: Steve Fearson's Self Vanish trick (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..17~18~19 [Next]
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
I got an email from the Download Magic mailing list: it seems that our master marketer has done it again. He claims he has invented the perfect self-vanish trick, where the performer vanishes in front of the audience in an impromptu manner.

"10 years in the making", and the usual hypes. Any comments?
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
I remember Steve Pellegrino {cafe member} talking about this. Can you post that e mail here by any chance?
Is Steve planning to market it?
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I will be surprised if he gets big business from this given the whole Station Manager debarcle!

Then again......LOL!
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
The email:

Hello all!

I'm happy to announce that I'm close to releasing something that's been on the drawing board for quite some time now.. 10 years to be exact.

It's a one man, impromptu self vanish illusion.

That's right, YOU vanish. And for the uninitiated, by impromptu I mean you can do it at the drop of a hat, in a close up situation. It's easier to do if you use a cardboard box but the box isn't absolutely necessary. It's truly impromptu.

I've been playing around with this idea for a looong time! It was a hard nut to crack, I can tell you that. As far as I know, there are no other ways to vanish in a real world situation. This should really fill a need.

That's all I'll say about that right now. I hope to have it ready before Christmas. I'll let you know!

All the best!

Steve Fearson
Gary B
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 06:06, Tom Lauten wrote:
I will be surprised if he gets big business from this given the whole Station Manager debarcle!

I think you meant "debacle", but why the belittling remark?

"Station Manager" is a routine with a different type of marketing program, that's all.

All ads don't have to say, "Here's a new one for you...the best trick in the last 19 months...fools everyone, even magicians!"

Steve Fearson's a very creative guy. Is he not allowed to be creative in his marketing, Tom?

Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
231 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Take a look in Paul Harris AOA...he also details an impromtu self vanish. V.1 p303 "Tunnel Vision".
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 07:55, Steve Hook wrote:

I think you meant "debacle", ...

"Station Manager" is a routine with a different type of marketing program, that's all...

...Steve Fearson's a very creative guy. Is he not allowed to be creative in his marketing, Tom?

I don't argue any of the points you make..

1) I did'nt spell debacle correctly...sorry

2) Station Manager does have a different kind of marketing. I, in fact contacted Steve personally upon purchasing it and applauded his narrative approach stating it had a weird and captivating X-Files feel to it. I explained how I was going to work it into my own style and use it as a launching off point for other effects as well. He personally took the time to write back emphatically stating the whole thing was exactly straight up and how "it all happened". OK...but now I get emails telling me it was a marketing stunt and I can buy it again for $100 now that it really isn't real. Still I applaud the original as a cool bit of fiction with a solid mentalism effect to boot. It would have been nice if he had the conviction to stand by his product and creativity when I took the time to compliment him on it directly but that was his choice...

3) Steve can do as he likes in marketing, I am suggesting that since Station Manager and its rather ..."unique" methods of selling and spin and the unsure vibe that bounced around within the magic fraternity about it and Steves intent, he could well be walking into a minefield of critisism from many quarters with what could be more "bold" claims.

I don't mind the approach he took but at the same time it was pretty cynical in terms of the $100 follow up move, the denial of the manuscripts true source and then his retraction of these initial claims of its sincerety...c'mon, was all that really needed?

For me, his insistance of the validity of his initial claims and the debates, etc. even after I bought the effect and discreetly contacted him was pretty condescending, What's that all about? Still, I applauded Station Manager publically. Now he makes more "Amazing" claims? Don't you think some degree of sceptisism is likely?

I know I don't have to buy it and I wont as I am not interested in this kind of effect. I have bought a number of his things before and have not been disappointed (see my comments recently on "Thumb-thing"), but given the way Station Manager was marketed to me personally and the general mixed feelings about it publically', I think he might need to be careful in future if he wants people to feel comfortable with his products and approach.

Given all of that debate and doubt re: Station Manager and how important ones public image is to marketing... I think viewing Station Manager to have been somewhat of a debacle and his needing to undertake caution with further releases is not overly aggressive or out of line.

-IMHO
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
PH's "Tunnel Vision" has some good thought and theory there....definitely worth looking into if you're really interested. I was initially very interested in Steve Fearson's stuff then after exchanging PM's with quite a few people in the "know" I learned the only great thing Mr. Fearson came up with isn't even available as Mr. Copperfield has exclusive performance rights to the Laser Illsuion created by Steve Fearson. Too bad.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 08:32, Tom Lauten wrote:
Given all of that debate and doubt re: Station Manager and how important ones public image is to marketing... I think viewing Station Manager to have been somewhat of a debacle and his needing to undertake caution with further releases is not overly aggressive or out of line.

-IMHO

Understood. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the bottom of Steve's e-mail contains a link to "the hottest selling
product in magic right now". If you follow the link it goes to a page advertising the sale of one of those eBooks with 200+ tricks including those shown on Blaine's specials. The URL leads me to believe Fearson gets a commission from anyone that buys through this link. I find this surprising that an inventor of magic looks to be profiting off of someone else selling stolen ideas...
matite
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of matite
My opinion (you don't have to agree):

Sadly, I have lost any respect for Steve after "Station Manager"... sure it had a "different" advertising campaign.

In the future if I feel the need for corny advertising I will watch television at 2am in the morning.
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
I thought steve did a total sudden quitter and left magic suddenly..

no denying...he was back in 5
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Station manager might be a strange way to market headache pills. I did not pay to read some religious cults and all the other garbage inside station manager.

I still have the file in my PC and whenever I try to open it my PC say NO STOP Smile
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Quote:
after exchanging PM's with quite a few people in the "know" I learned the only great thing Mr. Fearson came up with isn't even available as Mr. Copperfield has exclusive performance rights to the Laser Illsuion created by Steve Fearson. Too bad.

Actually, the kid has invented quite a few great things:

http://downloadmagic.com/steve_fearson.htm

I personally have his floating cigarette and it is one of the best tricks I have, maybe the best. I also have his fabulous floatation levitation (sitting in my closet). And yes, I have the station manager.

I do visit Vegas and the talk around here is that Fearson has contracts with David Copperfield he can't even talk about. I've heard about this vanish as well and am curious as heck to see what it is.

Steve has a very original and creative mind. I think he's far from crazy. Maybe crazy like a fox.

Dr Magic

:carrot: Smile
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Magicwise Steve is a very creative guy. Nobody creates masterpieces all the time. However some of his tricks are different and great.

But I think in order to market magic, you have to be a bit on the careful side or you will alienate the people who you want to purchase your stuff. And I think that's where Steve's problems lie.

When magic is hyped in the normal way, we understand it and get what the person means. What Steve does totally confuses us and makes us (at least me) feel as if he thinks we're five year olds putting all this wierd hyp out there.

I'd still buy something from him if I liked it. But I don't like to be treated that way.

Al
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
A close up self vanish has always been a dream for me. I would definately buy this no matter what the marketing technique.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I'll buy it.

I use the Station manager sometimes and it gets a great response.

I think you just have to have the right mindset.
It also takes a little acting.

Can someone post the info to buy this new vanish please?

Thank you,
James Linn
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
As long as it's not RePop, it might be good...
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
James:

It hasn't been released yet. "Maybe before Christmas".
ahalim
View Profile
New user
Australia
18 Posts

Profile of ahalim
I actually got the chance to read the basic idea and description of the illusion few years ago and it was really a great idea.
I am sure after few years now Steve have developed it a lot.

I am a fan of his ideas and I think he is very creative.
I really look forward to see this illusion.

Adipoetra