The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Q & A Act - I Think I'm going crazy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
A couple of months I started this thread on suggestions for Q & A :
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Since then I've been trying to find as many material as I can in order to develop my own version of this strong performance.

I've checked the classics (Tarbell, Anneman, Corinda, Al Mann) and the new ones (Riggs, Earle, Hilford), but I still cannot find something that suits me!

I've been thinking for days on the most convoluted ways to achieve this: developed a two-person code and even considered the idea of just asking the questions up-front ala Hoy and some Vaudeville performers.

I believe that I'm after a pipe dream:

- I want to answer written questions not car plates, Pins, Phones, names or locations
- No assistants (one person only)
- I want to be able to do it close-up
- No pre-show (slips passed, slips collected and off we go)
- Amazement Elements: Blindfold? Reading unopened messages? Hurling the headlines? Dynamite Mentalism?

As TA Waters and Riggs state: The important thing is to provide the answers, but I still want the amazement factor!

Argggg!
This sensation is kind of frustrating! Smile

:fruity:

OK, that's just me thinking out loud.
Just wanted to relieve myself for a second.
Now, back to thinking... Smile
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
Sounds like a tall order,

I think you are going to have to compromise at least one of your requirements if you want to achieve anything with real power - unless you just become a VERY skilled cold reader.

Another option but still far from perfect would be some kind of progressive anagram work - but still this isn't going to get you near where you want to be, and not really Q&A.

I think pre-show is the only viable route for this kind of work - it gives you some hard facts to work with. It's either that or working with someone else - but again this falls outside your requirements.

You could always consider selling your soul to Satan in exchange for extraordinary powers.

Sorry not to be of much help.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
The best - and cleanest - version I know of as well as the one which I like the most, is the one by Ted Karmilovich. It's technically easy and lets you focus on the presentation.

Simple and to the point. The classic and TERRIFIC kind of thinking you would expect from Ted.

It will probably be in his book!

Paolo Cavalli
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2004-10-08 12:45, DanielLove wrote:

You could always consider selling your soul to satan in exchange for extraordinary powers.

LOL!
Sounds like a good alternative,
Anyone has had any experience dealing with Satan before?

:lol: Smile
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

YES! And you'd better avoid that!

Paolo Cavalli
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2004-10-08 12:48, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
the one which I like the most, is the one by Ted Karmilovich. It will probably be in his book!

I wonder if this book is a urban myth...
Just kidding!
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Actually, it's not an urban myth!

Rumor has that some people already have one copy of the book and they jealously treasure it.

OPPS... I've said too much already! Smile

Paolo Cavalli
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
I know, "Blessed those who have now delighted their eyes and minds by reading Karmilovich's insights..."

;)
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
All I can say is John Riggs Q and A my way.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Sir T,
Hi, I have from Riggs the Compleat Fortune Teller and even Compleater Fortune Teller.

On which of his books can I find this one (Q & A My way)?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-10-08 12:51, Juan D wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-08 12:45, DanielLove wrote:

You could always consider selling your soul to satan in exchange for extraordinary powers.

LOL!
Sounds like a good alternative,
Anyone has had any experience dealing with Satan before?

:lol: Smile

*WINKS*
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Just don't be like the dyslexic occultist who sold his soul to Santa...

Yours,

Paul
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Ha, ha, ha...that was good. Which is worse by the way?

JE
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Check out Psi Graphico by Scott. This is the routine that John Riggs talks about in his Q&A books.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Have you looked into the Osterlind version?

I think you should be able to adapt it to your needs.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Samuel, Yes
I built a pad and is a marvelous effect
But it plays better for larger audiences in order to be able to do the "move".

If you see what I'm after, I'm looking forward to answer questions on a close up environment instead.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
For gathering info close up in real time, Shrink's Invisible Assistant Pad is hard to beat. The Q&A routine outlined in the accompanying manuscript sounds like just what you're looking for.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Check out Banachek from the Psi series.
Note, he didn't do it, but he could have, following the black cat design duplication.

He referred, though, the possibilities here only, but you would have no problems with putting it together.

You get much of what Osterlind's is all about, but you can work for somewhat smaller audiences, I believe.

Sven
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
How about combining something like Punx's Center Tear routine with the One-Ahead principle. Just one center tear and you're set to answer questions.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 02:49, Sven wrote:
Check out Banachek from the Psi series.
Note, he didn't do it, but he could have, following the black cat design duplication.

He referred, though, the possibilities here only, but you would have no problems with putting it together.

You get much of what Osterlind's is all about, but you can work for somewhat smaller audiences, I believe.

Sven

I thought Banacheck's Q&A was a really nice idea however the cat duplication would cause problems in a small group. It would very difficult to explain why no one owned up to owning the cat.

I believe it is stronger to leave the billets in their hands never to be touched. Esp in a small group parlour situation..

Also the folder is far to big for a small group in my opinion..It would look odd.