The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: REVEALS!!!….. but wait there is more? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ijustwannalearn
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of ijustwannalearn
I focused a lot on methods and am now starting to realize that the reveal is at the essence of what is perceived by the audience. Is there anything else I’m missing out on?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Methods (the heart of "technique") and reveals (part of the "plot") are both important, but it is a basic error to think that any one element is the "essence" of a successful performance.

There are many important elements, all of which must work together seamlessly.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Discovering what the audience expects can be more vital. Then you can give them a bit more.

A reveal is meaningless without anticipation. Framing can direct whether this is 'false expectation', crescendo , interlude, etc.

For me it is all about creating the conditions under which 'awe&wonder' can happen.
You must be flexible to 'where the audience is' and adapt.

Consider the Furst Principles as a starting point, none of which relate to method or reveal.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2027 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Luke Jermey's video "Making Mentalism Real," his best that I have seen, stresses that audiences are more interested in what a mind reading process might look like. That is where they get most engaged. The Reveal is the clincher but it is mostly about the trip to get there.

George
ijustwannalearn
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of ijustwannalearn
Thanks for sharing y’all! I appreciate it
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
The method part shouldn't be "perceived by the audience" at all at any stage.
Surely the greatest mentalism (or even magic) is one where it totally looks like what it is supposed to be with absolutely no hint of any method?

As for the reveal, I think sometimes too much importance is placed on it and a very long, totally boring, meaningless buildup can be saved by a great reveal. (So many are guilty of this)
So, the whole piece should look like one thing: Not Yadda, Yadda, Yadda Taddaaaaaa!
Tell a story. And interesting one that your audience can get engaged in. They will then follow, remain interested and be amazed by the conclusion of the whole piece, not a bolted-on "reveal".
In the end, the audience is there to be entertained and the performer is there to do just that. A long boring sequence that leads up to the reveal and doesn't keep the audience entertained doesn't work.
I'm just as guilty of this myself and it's hard to take a good look at something I like but leaves the audience underwhelmed and either give it a major re-working or remove it from my show.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)