The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Sean Waters' New Zener book - Not Just a River in Deutschland (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I've been lucky enough to have a look at some of the routines for Sean's upcoming ebook and I am really impressed.

Sean has a knack for creating interesting and UNIQUE ESP routines that really go beyond the old 'matching' premise that seems to be the most common thing with ESP cards.

I believe the new book will have the routines that he had previously released with his card set - which received much praise - as well as some new material.

I had a look at 2 of the new routines and they are both really good. He's very good at combining methods and concepts in a way that create routines instead of just effects. Both of these new items - 'Linear' and 'Supernova' are multiple phases and have a nice progression and resolution to them. As with much of his other work, he artfully combines methods in order to create logical disconnects and to keep the spectators from backtracking.

All of his ESP card material seems to have something different -- he's thoughtfully applied known playing cards principles to ESP cards in a way that may not be obvious. For instance, at first glance, much playing card material is not particularly applicable to a set of only 5 symbols. Well, Sean has clearly though a lot about this and has definitely found some nooks and crannies in the Zener set that are not obvious but that can hold card material well (Lol - spreading playing card butter into the nooks and crannies of the Zener crumpets).

FWIW, many (most?) of the routines can be done with standard zener cards and don't necessarily need m***s.

Looking forward to the book!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13015 Posts

Profile of John C
I agree with Mr laugh. I too took a look at his two offerings linear and supernova. I liked linear the best. Sean is truly in a league of his own when it comes to esp effects and I certainly say that in a good and complimentary way.

J
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Thank you Last Laugh and John C!

I appreciate the comments. While I do not perform a string of Zener/Rhine symbol effects, I really do love them. To me, they really do have an air of scientific experimentation and mystery. It is my hope that readers find some truly interesting effects (and methods?). I look forward to this being ready!

Best Regards,

Sean
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I am a little slow on the draw, but his is nearly (read: finally) ready. I am editing and revising the text and then this will go to my designer. I wanted to drop a quick word regarding the contents of this work, devoted solely to Zener/ESP cards. They are:

Apropos
TMI
Inevitability
Coltrane
Intent
Odds and Evens
Threshold
Controlled Chaos
Halo Effect
Supernova
Mental Radio
Unison
Linear
Linear Progression
Seeing Stars

One can never be sure, but I am hopeful that there will be routines that will appeal to differing tastes and skill levels. Most of them are quite simple to perform. There will be information here shortly:

www.experience-architecture.com

Best Regards,

Sean
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Well cool!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
In time honored fashion, I will be happy to provide three review copies of the (possibly) final draft of “Not Just a River in Deutschland”. The first three PMs will receive free copies. Here is what I ask in return:

1. You read the material (at least the sections you are commenting on)
2. You keep the details of methods a secret
3. You are honest about what you read (most especially if it hurts)

My hope was to provide interesting Zener / ESP card material that:

1. Has intriguing premises/scripts
2. Has workable methods
3. Enjoyable to perform

Please include your email address is your PM. Thank you!

Sean
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Sending to the three now.

Thank you!

Sean
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2503 Posts

Profile of ddyment
There is some superb material in this book. "TMI" alone, to my thinking, is easily worth the price of admission.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Iam reading this now and I like it!
Ive got a couple of gigs this weekend and will road test some ideas.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Thank you for the comment Doug!

Brehan, I hope you have fun performing these. I hope they serve you well.

All, a few of these copies I had to re-send to an email issue. These have been re-sent. This is a relatively long ebook (over 120 pages), so please be patient as it will take some time for reviewers to work through the text.
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
Hello everyone,

I want to give a full review of Sean Waters's eBook "Not Just A River In Deutschland".

Disclaimer: I received a review copy.

You receive a 123 pages PDF.

14 routines and 2 methods.

Each routine is clearly explained in details. Comments and credits are included for each one.

After an introduction about the Extra Sensory Perception, and an ESP concept, you then start with the routines.

APROPOS :

You reveal two shapes chosen by two different participants. The third and last revelation is on an envelope that was on the table the entire time.

This routine is a nice little experiment because it involves two spectators and you have three revelations.

I like this first routine. Far from being hard to execute, it let you concentrate on the presentation and the interaction with the spectators.

I also like the way the enveloppe is introduced to both participants in a very subtle way. That really involves them into the experience and it reinforces the revelations.

- TMI :

In this three phase routine, you let the spectator use an enveloppe to choose ESP symbols.

Each time, you reveal that the symbol inside the enveloppe matches the chosen one.

This routine is an even deeper experiment for the spectator. The gradual revelation of the symbols is well served by the script which is very deep and engaging for the audience.

This effect would be good for a one to one situation because it's an intimate experience.

- INEVITABILITY :

An experience about choices. You give the spectator a chance to cut, and change the order of some Zener cards, multiple times.

And you show that you predicted the exact order of the cards.

Finally, the spectator get to choose a symbol among the cards and find that it's the only one with a different color back.

This routine has a strong ending. Again the spectator will remember this as an experience with predictions and coincidences.

The procedure of this routine let you build in the spectator's mind, a strong feeling of random order.

- COLTRANE :

This is an effect about a telephatic experiment.

The spectator mentaly choose a symbol, and you're able to immediatly reveal it.

You're able to repeat the experience a second time.

This quick effect uses a clever subtleties to reveal the symbol.

It is very well explained with different alternatives. The audience will remember this as a telephatic experience.

The only downside I can see is that it has to be adapted if you perform in an other language than english.

- ODDS AND EVENS :

It is a technique that can be applied for a variety of effects.

This will give you the possibility to force any Zener symbol.

- AVID READER :

This is a very easy double outcome method. In some cases, it will be a great alternative to a specific gimmick.

This method can be used for a number of the effects in this book.

- INTENT :

A three phase routine centered around a story about an ESP experiment during the Cold War.

You offer to reproduce this experiment by using two symbols and making two ten cards piles.

After some shuffles, the spectator will choose five symbols in his pile, and you're able to guess the five.

You do that again, with one more symbol, in a more impossible way.

For the last phase, the spectator choose another symbol, which you predicted in advance, by putting the same symbol into an enveloppe.

This is another routine where you can easily concentrate on the presentation. Here I think that the methodology and the Zener cards become secondary.

The routine is built in a way that the spectator will feel different emotions and a strong connection with you.

- THRESHOLD :

You present to the spectator a business card with a symbol on it and a deck of Zener symbols.

You ask him to touch four cards faceup in the deck, which are placed on the table. He then touch any of the four cards and it matches the symbol on the business card.

You then show the business card to the spectator and reveal that there is more to see on it. Something that perfectly matches the order of the three remaining cards on the table.

Again, this routine has a great text centered around the power of the mind and the perception. I like the ending because the business card is in plain view all the time.

I can see this routine as a perfect opportunity to create special business cards that you can give to your audience for promotion.

- CONTROLLED CHAOS :

You begin by telling a story about Dr. Rhine. And you offer to recreate one of his experiment.

While you are removing some cards during a shuffle, you ask the spectator to stop you whenever he wants in order to make three piles of ESP cards. The remaining cards are dealt randomly in the three piles.

You turn your head away, the spectator returns one of the top three cards and you guess the symbol. You repeat it a second time and a third time with the others top card symbols from the two remaining piles.

You then conduct the experiment further by asking the spectator to look at the bottom symbol from any pile, and to mix all the piles together. Once again you can reveal the symbol.

Love this one. A two phase routine with another great story.

Surprisingly, the last revelation, which seems the most difficult for the audience, will be the easiest for you.

And Sean even gives you alternative ideas for presentation.

- HALO EFFECT :

"A participant thinks of a ESP shape in his mind. He changes his mind and concentrates on another shape in his mind. The performer can reveal the shape."

A nice and direct mind reading effect.

- SUPERNOVA :

You show a pack of Zener cards to your spectator. And you ask him to think of one symbol. After asking him to change his mind, you reveal the symbol.

Face down, you spread the deck and ask your spectator to touch one card. The spectator look at it. It's the same symbol which he thought on the last phase.

After a cut, you spread the deck again, face down, and ask your spectator to slide a card out. He look at the card and put it back. You shuffle and cut the deck again, and take a symbol out. It's the same that the spectator just looked.

You remove two sets of the five Zener symbols and give one to your spectator. You both shuffle your pack behind your back, exchange your pack and give a final cut. You ask him to spread his pack in front of his eyes (so that you can't see the faces of his cards), and to mentally send you the order. You're able to rearrange your pack in the same order.

This is one of my favorite routine of the book.

In this four phase routine, you start with the HALO EFFECT, but you're adding a lot more to it, by using a combination of methods.

- MENTAL RADIO :

Another new story centered around the history of ESP testing.

You ask your spectator to think of three symbols among the five ESP. And you're able to reveal the three symbol.

You then ask him to keep the same three symbols but to change the order in his mind. You can reveal the new order.

This routine is based on psychological subtleties and works best with people not familiar with ESP symbols.

The ending is really interesting because you can guess an order that your spectator changed in his mind.

- UNISON :

You and your spectator have a pack of ten Zener symbol cards.

You both suffle your pack behind your back and remove one card face down. Without looking at it, you both exchange the card and replace it face up in the center of your pack. Both packs are spread on the table and the face-up symbol cards match.

You can repeat the same experience when both of you choose and return the same symbol.

You offer to try once again. Same process but you don't exchange cards. Both of you name your symbol outloud at the same time. Again, it's the same.

This three phase routine is about coincidence and synchronization.

The methodology used reminds me of another effect where you also exchange cards. The Sean's version expand the idea as it allows you to use more cards.

Sean gives you essential details to cover any endings.

- LINEAR :

You shuffle a deck of Zener symbols and give a packet of cards to your spectator. You both mix your packet.

Without looking at it, the spectator take a card in your packet. This card is put aside. The spectator shuffle his face up packet with your face down packet and the entire deck is turn over. Your ask your spectator to secretly spread the card, and to look at the face up symbols. You're able to reveal a certain number of symbols in order.

Then reveal the number of symbols remaining face up in the pack. Among these symbols the spectator think of one and you reveal it.

Finally, you're able to reveal the symbol of the card that was put aside from the beginning.

Another favourite of mine from the book.

This is an excellent routine, beautifully constructed, and with a simple and clever idea.

You're using a well-known principle, but by adding a procedure to it, you're making the routine even more convincing.

The entire procedure gives you a step ahead for the ending. There also some really nice subtleties in the method.

This routine is also great because once the spectator has the deck, all the revelations can be done without ever having to touch the deck.

- LINEAR PROGRESSION :

You shuffle a deck of Zener symbols and separate it into two halves. You give a packet to your spectator and you both shuffle your pack. The spectator shuffles his packet, think of any symbol, as well as other details about the presence of this symbol in his packet. You're able to reveal it.

You turn the other packet face up and shuffle it (can be done by the spectator) with the other face down packet. You ask the spectator to secretly deal the cards, one at the time and you reveal a certain number of symbols.

From the remaining symbols, the spectator think of one and you reveal it.

The procedure of this routine is almost the same as the LINEAR routine but the revelations are different.

This second version will give you an extra option that will fit perfectly with the LINEAR routine, by giving you more possibilities.

- SEEING STARS :

The spectator shuffle a packet of ESP cards.

Without seeing the face, you remove four symbols from the packet. The spectator choose one of these four symbols and concentrate on it. You can tell him what is the symbol.

The spectator deals the cards face up into two piles. From the two visible symbols, the spectator choose one which happen to be the same that the one inside an envelope that was on the table from the beginning.

You remind your spectator of all his actions, ask him to point to one packet, and you show that all the cards from this packet have a black back while the other packet has only red back cards.

In this three phased routine, the spectator do most of the work. The different use of a well known principle will allow you to get a bigger ending.

Again, while the procedure from the spectator point of view seems justified, logical and fair, it not only gives you each time subtles ways to make revelation, but allows you to set up things for the next phases.

Sean also gives you an alternative for the second phase.

I really enjoyed this book and I have gleaned so many ideas.

The routines are built and designed to have a great impact on an audience. Each revelation / step is leading to the next, to create an even stronger revelation.

Sean uses clever combination of methods and ideas. He also uses actions, languages and psychological subtleties to make the spectator thinks he is in control of the procedure. This reinforces the the impact of the routines.

Another great and important thing is that the routines are built around great scripts and stories that will emotionally involve the spectator.

You'll have with this book a series of experiments more than some effects or tricks.

I believe that the Zener cards can be seen as the missing link between science and paranormal. The spectators see these cards as tools, and become more of participants to the experience. Once there, they can witness science and feel paranormal mystery.

Sean uses known playing cards principles which are far from being difficult to use. It allows you to concentrate on the story and the experience you share with the audience.

But keep in mind that if you want to get the most of the routines, I think that you need to work properly on the plots and on your presentation.

Because at the end of it, and again, it is some tricks but more of an experience and feeling that you give to your audience.

If you read all my review, you certainly noticed that I often used "you reveal" or "you're able to reveal". By reading this repetitive sentence, you may think that the revelation are always the same, but it is not.

In all the routines, you'll find many different subtle ways to reveal the choosing/thinking/.... symbols to your spectator.

Also, as I mentionned, Sean gives all the credits, not at the end of the book, but after each effect.

Some routines require the use of gimmicked cards or "special" ESP deck. But if you're into ESP cards, chances are you will have everything already.

The only downside of the book is that I would have liked much more images / photographs to illustrate the routines. Don't get me wrong, the descriptions are clear and precise. But adding images would have been a nice plus.

Finally, this is an excellent book, with lots of routines / experiments.

If you like ESP cards, I'm confident that you'll find in this book many routines that will suit you or to experiment with.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Sebastian,

Thank you for the thorough review. You definitely earned your copy with the comprehensive description of the effects. This information is accurate. Thank you for taking the time.

What I am most happy with, (at least for me) is how the scripts enhance the methods and vice versa. Many of these routines can be applied to business cards, thereby making them improvisational. This, along with the “Avid Reader” utility method, makes these extremely practical. My hope was to craft truly engaging experiences using Zener symbols. Readers can decide for themselves if I achieved this goal (from their perspective).

Sincerely,

Sean
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
My pleasure Sean.

Thanks again for the opportunity to review your book.
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Hi Guys ,

heres a realy short review about Seans new book.
It basicly say Buy the book for the 2 effects mention in the video clip.
Enjoy!!

John
btw the clip is here under a secret link its not open to the genral public
https://youtu.be/h9Q6NkTZGiU
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2017, brehan wrote:
Hi Guys ,

heres a realy short review about Seans new book.
It basicly say Buy the book for the 2 effects mention in the video clip.
Enjoy!!

John
btw the clip is here under a secret link its not open to the genral public
https://youtu.be/h9Q6NkTZGiU

Per your comment on the video:
The title refers to Rhine (Rein)...

Thank you for the review.

I'm really enjoying reading the book, having just purchased it, I have not had the opportunity to perform any of the material yet.

What I can say, which no one else has mentioned it how well formatted the book is, the layout is superb. It looks great on my iPad, and the conversion for the Kindle was flawless. Smile

Tony
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Brehan: Thank you for the review. I appreciate you performing these in your recent gigs. I am pleased to hear they served you well. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with the material.

Tony: Thank you for the comment regarding the design and formatting of the ebook. Upon your comment, I imported a copy to my Kindle. It did work quite well. Credit for that goes to my designer/typesetter. He does great work.

Best Regards,

Sean
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Still winding through this book, but a couple things off the top. As with all of Waters' work, he has a knack for layering methods. I've praised him for this before, but I'll continue to do so because it's such an important facet of building deceptive routines. I get the feeling that he considers a layered methodology a requirement for his creations. We should all be doing that.

Next, some really beautiful scripts/presentations in here. It's not often that I read a script or presentation and think that I'd use it as is. So far, I'd be more than happy to use pretty much everything in this book without major overhaul. Now... I won't do that, because I don't do that.... but there are some really nice presentational angles and premises that I find inspiring and I look forward to playing with. I am especially inspired by the premise of 'TMI'....

And I am not even halfway through yet.

Well done Sean.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I have a received a review copy of Sean's latest manuscript, "Not Just A River In Deutschland".

Here is a summary of the review (with details to follow):

If this book contained no methods, it would be a course on how to present magic/mentalism. Sean has weaved clever presentations that are no only thought-provoking, but also simple and relevant to laypeople. More importantly, they do not sound cheesy or over the top. And Sean provides the full script. It is clear that each effect is a labor of love. So please, anyone reading this ebook, do not dismiss the script. Of course, it would be advisable that one create their own scripts and even take things in different directions.

As for methods, which are really icing on cake, I will describe them with two words: simple and layered. Simplicity refers not only to the execution of the method, but also to the way the routine is perceived. Provided that methods are procedural in nature, they are easy to follow. THe layering in most of the routines makes the backtracking very hard and even better, it makes the routines more impossible.

I know I am singing a lot of praises here but it is all well-deserved. I have read many releases over the past few months but this one is indeed special for me.

As for the individual routines, Sebastian has done a great job dissecting each effect but I will add some more thoughts.

Apropos: Simple and straightforward, a great way to start the book.

TMI: I LOVE the script. It is soooo powerful. The routine is secondary here. I will be using this effect. Okay, as a routine, it is an escalting prediction of spectator choices.

Inevitability: Great layering of methods and progression of impossibility.

Coltrane: Now this is interesting and a bold approach to direct mindreading. This has the feel of genuine mindreading. It is almost process-free. Sean decribes the methodologies as 'polarizing' and indeed they are. I will need to give this try before giving an opinion since the actual experience cannot be captured on paper well. Since it has two beats, I fear it may suffer from abruptness when the effect ends. I will test with this as both a standalone and a lead-in.

Odds and Evens: Not my cup of tea since I feel this may be the less direct approach to already established methods. Yes, it is a utility and not an effect. But there are much better and more direct approach to achieve what this does. Essentially, this is a force.

Avid Reader: Another idea that can be used in conjuction with many other effects. This is a double prediction device. I am not sure though about the originality of this piece. But it is still a very good idea for the more casual performer and if one is not familiar with it, it will be a strong weapon in the arsenal of the performer.

Intent: What a powerful premise! Again, the presentational angle this effect takes is very intriguing. A great mix of light and dark with a powerful message hidden within. The effect, again, has a strong emotional hook to the spectator and the method is so-well hidden. The reveal is very strong and concludes nicely. This is a strong matching routine that is unorthodox. I will be using this one for sure

Threshold: Sumbliminal influence theme with a direcct method. It is alright but not something I will use regularly, simply because there are more powerful effects. However, the presentation again is filled with nuggets.

Controlled Chaos: So much mileage from a simple method. Things appear very fair which make the revelations even stronger.

Halo Effect: A psychological force. Interesting to try. I cannot comments on effectiveness. It reads logical with a reasonable hit rate but performing it will reveal more.

Supernova: What a great routine to use the Halo Effect and then build on it. I will be using this effect albeit adding some little tweaks here and there. The second phase is very fair and cancels out the third phase so there is virtually no backtracking possible. And the presentation again is beautiful.

Mental Radio: This is controversial for me. The first phase will have higher success rates with people not familiar with ESP symbols. Which in turn means, it has to be one of opening effects to get the full impact. However, I would argue that it is not that powerful in my opinion as it can be dismissed as 'luck'. The second phase is intrguing but I am not sure I will be using this routine as-is.

Unison: Now this is my kind of effects. I love the escalating impossibility and the finale is such a powerful display. Naming the same symbol at the same time is such a powerful moment. The whole routine is great. I will be using this one for sure.

Linear: This is the blockbuster routine. It is a mini-act. Very powerful. Very simple secret that is milked to the maximum. This extracts as much mileage from a simple method and it is very easy to do. I will be using this one for sure.

Linear Progression: This is essentially Linear with an altered revelation. I personally like Linear more simply because it has less process. Plus, this requires specatator being clear on what they need to do to avoid mishaps. However, Sean offers a nice way to use the fact that one can do both for a very fair choice.

Seeing Stars: What a final routine! Another mini-act that shows the genius in layering of methods. The lead-in to the finale is shocking for the spectator and it will take them a beat to wrap their head around that 'secret' that was right in front of them. And then the finale hits them hard. I will be using this effect and it truly is a perfect close to an ESP set and to this book

My absolute favorie routines are TMI, Unison, Linear, and Seeing Stars.

Seans gives tons of Credits throughout the ebook which makes this a great resource for the student of the art if they are interested in pursuing the origins of methods. Also, Sean discusses alternative methods when necessary.

Again, I love this work as a whole. It has everything from simple methods to beautiful presentations. Everything is clear. Like I said, this appears to be a labor of love.

The work here goes beyond ESP. Yes, they are all explained with ESP symbols in mind, but one can easily take the effects and concepts and apply them to other aspects of magic and mentalism.

I highly recommend this book!

Great work Sean!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I've seen SUPERNOVA and a few more already as part of the Zener Cards and look very much forward to the other releases. Good work Sean!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Last laugh: thank you for the comments. I am glad you are enjoying the work.

Ash2arani: thank you for the thorough review. It is helpful to hear what did not appeal to you (and why) as much as what you did like. I appreciate you taking the time.

Nicolino: you are gracious person and I appreciate the way you stated what you did. Indeed this is true, some of these routines were provided with my “Clairvoyant Zener Set”. As was stated in threads related to that set, it wasn’t really my original intention to sell them. I had a few sets made and gave some away as gifts to friends, who then began to comment on them. So, I had another run or two made and shared some of my routines that I felt people would enjoy. While I had some specific goals for my set (that mattered to me), the decks themselves were never the goal. In short, to add value to purchasers of the decks I shared my files to provide some (hopefully) interesting material.

What is found in “Not Just a River in Deutschland” is truly a labor of love (as was stated above) to give people the very best Zener/ESP material (in terms of premises, scripts and methodology) that I am able. It do not expect to make a significant return for my time, effort and personal investment to make the ebook look as good as it does (thanks to my typsetter and designer), but my goal was to add a worthy resource to this genre. Each beholder can decide if it was worthwhile.

Gratefully,

Sean