The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Wise words from U.F. Grant (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
In U.F. Grant's little booklet, "25 One Man Mind Reading Secrets," he describes doing a Dunninger-type act with questions written down on billets. He describes a simple manner in which to accomplish this, and he references Dunninger's Portfolio(which, by the way, is now made by Richard Osterlind).

He then writes these wise words, "This proves that showmanship is what gets a man by, not his methods."

This has been said time and time again in so many ways on these boards, but it does not hurt to hear it repeated.

So many of us are looking for the "silver bullet" effect ... if I just buy one more DVD, read one more book, download one more ebook, nab that one last effect, then I will be able to do this or that and make a name for myself.

Look around. You probably have more than enough to put together a truly entertaining show, but make sure the showmanship is there (or is it showpersonship, I forget).

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 16:00, robwar0100 wrote:
So many of us are looking for the "silver bullet" effect ...

Bobby

Lee Earle sells the "Silver Bullet" and E. Raymond Carlyle sells the same thing but calls it "Carlyle's Crystals."

Sorry Bobby, I just couldn't resist. ;-)
Dick Christian
seneca77
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa Bay, Florida
201 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Bobby, great food for thought, and so very true.

I've been immersing myself in some of the old books I have and discovering absolute gems. Presentation is everything and I'm no longer so eager to buy the latest and greatest effect. I inherited two magic books from my father when he passed away a number of years ago, one by Thurston and the other by Blackstone, Sr. Both contain wonderful effects ready for a little modern window dressing.

- Bob
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Bob,

In the U.F. Grant booklet referenced above, he takes about a paragraph to describe and explain an effect, expecting the performer to add his own (or her own) presentation. In the 25 ideas, it is amazing to see how many of those methods have made their way into the effects of contemporary performers.

Bobby
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes, I must confess that at in the early days I was: 'Like a wasp at a picnic!'.
Nowadays I would advise others to:
'have something rather than everything and do that something extremely well'.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bob and Bobby,
Kind regards,

Bob B
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with Bob, Bobby, and Bob B

Regards-

Bob
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Can I be D'artignan?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Magic is what you can get away with, isn't it!?"
- Tony "Doc" Shiels
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Great Line!
Santiago
View Profile
New user
Argentina
75 Posts

Profile of Santiago
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 16:00, robwar0100 wrote:

Look around. You probably have more than enough to put together a truly entertaining show, but make sure the showmanship is there (or is it showpersonship, I forget).

Great words Bobby, I agree with all your comment, and specially with the part I've quoted. Just a few days ago I realized that with the seven books I own it's more than enough. In fact I've been working with just one of them for the last 6 months, and it still has plenty of material to work with.
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
I wish my name was Bob to be able to follow that one up!
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 18:48, mastermindreader wrote:
I agree with Bob, Bobby, and Bob B

Regards-

Bob
- Nathan
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
On a similar lines, I have seen performances when a magician and a mentalist did the EXACT same effect for the same audience, one right after the other. When I talked to the audience, almost all of them said something like, "The magician was good, but that is just all tricks. The other guy was for real." It's not so much what you do, but who you are and how you do it.
- Nathan
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well said Br. Nathan! This is exactly the point I just tried to make in the Dr. Crow thread.

Good thoughts,

Bob
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Dear Br. Bob Nathan,

I recently performed a mentalism show, and when I followed up with the person who booked the show, he told me pretty much the same thing you said. When there are magic props, you know there has to be some type of gimmick. However, when you reveal thoughts of others, how do you explain it?

To Santiago,

When I think of what performers from yesteryear were able to do, I am amazed. We have so much more, yet we are so indebted to them.

BObby

p.s. I agree with Rt. Rev. Bob, Bobser and Bob ... sometimes I even agree with myself, though not often.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh man!
I read this post, totally agreed with it and then went on to ebay and bid more than I have on something that I ultimately don't need.
Well, I have the knowledge but not the wisdom.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2011-02-12 14:48, seadog93 wrote:
Oh man!
I read this post, totally agreed with it and then went on to ebay and bid more than I have on something that I ultimately don't need.
Well, I have the knowledge but not the wisdom.

Well I was outbid. ***. I mean, yay! I mean, ...well whatever, I'll go back and study the stuff I already have.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seneca77
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa Bay, Florida
201 Posts

Profile of seneca77
As I stated in my earlier post on this thread, I'm no longer as anxious to acquire the latest and greatest effect, book, or DVD. That being said, I certainly do read the ads and the reviews here and dream a little. It's hard not to get caught up in finding the "magic bullet" (no pun intended).

Though certainly not unique, my situation is that I'm not a professional or even semi-professional performer. I'm strictly an amateur magician slowly making the transition to mental magic and mentalism. My audience consists almost completely of friends, family, and co-workers.

The old adage of pros showing the same tricks to different audiences and amateurs showing different tricks to the same audience comes into play here. Not that professionals aren't constantly honing their craft and fine-tuning their routines, but my guess is that they (at least the full time ones) aren't consumed with buying the latest effect.

Amateurs like me feel a need to find new effects because we're performing for the same folks most of the time. In my case, at least, I've been able to squelch the need to actually *buy* new effects and am instead rediscovering old ones that are - in essence - hiding in plain sight. I just flipped through "Greater Magic" tonight for the first time in years and was amazed at all the "hidden" gems.

Sorry to ramble and I'm certain I haven't written anything new or groundbreaking, but I think a lot of the points made so far in this thread deserve reinforcing and affirmation.

Cheers!
- Bob H
Santiago
View Profile
New user
Argentina
75 Posts

Profile of Santiago
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 1:39, robwar0100 wrote:
When I think of what performers from yesteryear were able to do, I am amazed. We have so much more, yet we are so indebted to them.

I agree. I think we have to much information available this days and that's why we have to be patients and move slowly. Try to read and practice without rush.

Quote:
On 2011-02-12 23:36, seneca77 wrote:
Amateurs like me feel a need to find new effects because we're performing for the same folks most of the time. In my case, at least, I've been able to squelch the need to actually *buy* new effects and am instead rediscovering old ones that are - in essence - hiding in plain sight. I just flipped through "Greater Magic" tonight for the first time in years and was amazed at all the "hidden" gems.

I'm at the same situation, that's why I'm trying to "relax" and work just with only one book. My goal is to perform each effect in the book properly and be able to use the principles I've learned to make new effect to the eyes of my audience.

Do you think this is going to work? Can anyone give me some advice about this approach?

Thank you Smile
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Santiago,

It seems to me that you are wise beyond your years and are proceeding in a very smart way. In the classic days of magic and mentalism, you would have had a mentor who would guide you through a solid training in the basics, building on those until you were ready to "fly."

By working steadily through one book (if it's a good book) you are recreating that mentor-student structure (and allowing yourself to concentrate on improving rather than constantly searching for the next new thing – which many of us, me included, have fallen prey to.)

Also, I'm sure almost everyone here will tell you that, in trying to skim through books and pick out the effects that seem the best, we all have missed gems that could have been polished to brilliance had we taken the effort to fully try them out.

So, my humble opinion: you're doing very well!
Santiago
View Profile
New user
Argentina
75 Posts

Profile of Santiago
Thank you for your words Blackwood! I'll keep my study in this way.

Actually I'm working with Richard Busch's "Peek Performances". I like the approach that Mr. Busch has chosen, it's like he is by my side, guiding me throw the content of the book. I've already been with this book for six months, and I think I have at least six more.

Thank you again for your opinion and your time!

Best wishes!