The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Telekinetic Timber - how long do you wait! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
I own the original Telekinetic Timber, purchased years ago when I worked at a magic shop. I was never able to get the timing right, taking anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes to do it's thing.
I recently pulled it out of storage and find that it can take up to half an hour!
I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to speed things up?
I thought of baking it for a few minutes, but don't want to risk damaging the piece altogether.
Any of you have methods of getting this baby to fall under 2 minutes?
Or if you've tried baking it, does it work or just get you burnt lumber?

Thanks.

Also, please don't give me suggestions on how to eat up the time with suspenseful story telling. I want it over in under 2 or minutes!
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Dan,
It seems like your Timber may be faulty. Typically, it should only take about 30-45 seconds to fall.

Best,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
I have never had it take over a minute- if it doesn't fall in under a minute it ain't gonna fall at all.
Balancing it right on the brink is very important.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Never mind… I got it to work.
It has been so long since I read the instructions, which I no longer have, that I had forgotten about the tempiture factor.
I did a search on the Café and found someone speaking about it, so problem solved. It now works every time.

Thanks though.
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
djwow
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
57 Posts

Profile of djwow
Mine is very consistent even after 8 or 9 years. The only thing is, if you shake it there's a slight rattle...does anyone think it's possible to repair it?
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
You are lucky to have an original.... the ones they make now are freakin tiny in size!
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Had my Telekinetic Timber for over 15 years, it is large. I've played with it at home but never used it in a show.
Today I'm working a hospitality suite for a client in the lumber business. It's my sixth year with this company and I always try to add something "new" for them every year. My friend Ray Eldard suggested TT, so I dug into the storage boxes and found it.
So after 15 years in hibernation, I'm bringing it out to play with the big boys!
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Dan, why don't you use a Invisble Thread instead???
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Piece of fire wood if you ask me. I threw mine away it didn't work either.

Plus that stupid carved stand looked really unatural as did the logic for carrying fire wood around.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Carved stand?????????

The TK Timber is one of my favorite props, of which I own very few.

-Jerome.
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Thought about IT, but if it's not needed...
Plus, the anticipation of the fall is fantastic! It even startles me when it finally falls.

You should have seen these wood experts playing with the wood, and theorizing as to the method. They had a blast just talking about it!
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
If you have a good presentation for Telekinetic timber, then it´s a killer! I used it on my local TV-show here in finland and it worked great. Reactions were very very good. But again... I think it´s all about your presentation.

Pete
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Pete,

Of course. Why would anyone care about a block of wood falling otherwise? Smile If you have a good presentation, many things can be "killer".

-J.
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
TT2,

You´re absolutely right about that. Unfortunately, all magicians and mentalist doesn´t remember that always. I have seen many magicians who have a great stuff with their hands but they haven´t put any thoughs about presentation and after a few try they say, "this product is BS". Actually Telekinetic Timber is one of those effects that I have heard someone say "it´s crap" just because they haven´t give any thinking for presentation.

Pete
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 18:53, pete wrote:
TT2,

You´re absolutely right about that. Unfortunately, all magicians and mentalist doesn´t remember that always. I have seen many magicians who have a great stuff with their hands but they haven´t put any thoughs about presentation and after a few try they say, "this product is BS". Actually Telekinetic Timber is one of those effects that I have heard someone say "it´s crap" just because they haven´t give any thinking for presentation.

Pete

Pete,

I agree with you. I've always loved this trick ... and spending the time to discover the right presention was kind of a lesson itself.

It took me a while to come up with a story and presentation I was comfortable with.

The presentation I came up with allowed me to use both pieces of wood, so there was no problem finding the "sweet spot" once the timber was loaded. My presentation was about the most curious thing that happened one day when my daughter and I were playing with her blocks … and this is kind of strange, but …. And so on.

There are some inherent weaknesses to overcome with this prop, not the least of which is, why THESE pieces of wood … here and now?

There must be some sentimental reason they haven’t been sold in a garage sale years ago.

There is an emotional hook if you look for it.

Steve
Doogie1001
View Profile
New user
Newbury, UK
25 Posts

Profile of Doogie1001
I agree this is a great effect and always makes people jump. I like the fact it can take a while - My routine is the classic 'timber from a haunted house' and involves my passing it out and leaving it on peoples tables where it deleberatly 'does nothing' for the first few times - then whilst I'm owkring on another illusion.. BANG. makes people jump a mile... However.. I have a question.. I want to make it seem a bit more 'realistic' for my back story for the timber.. I wnat to scorch or burn it.. to say that the haunted house was involved in a fire.

Your thoughts? is this gonna damage the gimmick? what do you think is the best way to do this?
Paul Howse
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I have had mine forever and it naturally over time looks like hell. Still works, still scares!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-05-19 07:01, mindpunisher wrote:
Piece of fire wood if you ask me. I threw mine away it didn't work either.

Plus that stupid carved stand looked really unatural as did the logic for carrying fire wood around.

The original Telekinetic Timber did not come with a stand.

Borodin had a really good idea for the presentation in Final Curtain.

Regarding scorching -- I know what the actual gaff is, and unless you really bake it, you shouldn't have any trouble; however, if you can simulate the scorching effect with paint, stain or some other similar method, you will be better off.

Do not under any circumstances bang it with something heavy to dent it. You can break the gaff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have two of them I love it so much. I just about gave up on mine until I discovered the secret was not to rush the placing. Opps, another public forum.

Anyway, I scorched one of mine by setting it on fire for a bit. Both of mine react differently.

PS: Presentation, Presentation, Presentation.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Correction. The Borodin routine is in Sheherazade.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com