The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Memorized deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
554 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
Hi,
my question can be considered silly but I wonder if learning a memorized deck is an useful tool or not for any mentalist.
Fabio
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Very useful, Plerophoria is one of my favourite effects and it requires a certain amount of memory deck, it kills!!!!!!
I'm sure there are many other routines like this but I'm not interested hehe.

P.s - there are other methods other than memorizing it. If you know the order and write it down say on your arm or something and cover it, it really will look the same.
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Provided you're not against using cards in mentalism (and judging by your post, it seems you're not), Simon Aronson has some wonderful routines with a memorised deck that would make for superb mentalism. Also, the skill of using the deck as essentially a card index is extremely useful for a great number of mentalism effects. In other words, covertly locating and controling any named card opens lots of doors for you in terms of effects.

Do it.
If nothing else it's a good mental exercise to help sharpen your mind.
Hello.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2503 Posts

Profile of ddyment
As a performing mentalist, I tend to avoid the use of playing cards, but that doesn't mean that I eschew their use altogether. Anything I do with them, though, has to be contextually appropriate, and very strong. The memorized deck is a very potent tool in this regard.

There are several ways to acquire this skill; I've written an essay on the topic that you may find of use.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I'm a magician, but do a mental effect or two in many shows. One of my favorites is Simon Aronson's Histed Heisted from his book Bound to Please. You have to use a memorized deck, but it doesn't have to be Simon's stack. Any memdeck stack you know will work.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
866 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Just get Mindsights. A great stacked deck, a great magic square routine and a routine entitled FourSight that I am adding to my Parlor Show.

http://deceptionary.com
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
The memorized deck is a great tool for mentalism check osterlind or chan canasta this last make a reputation using stack decks, the book sugeted for equivoke Mindsights has a stack deck that you can learn in like one hour.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Stephen Long I agree with you there are plenty of routines such as book tests etc...that require a deck, but I don't know, see for me when a performer bring on a deck of cards to his repertoire it's less impressive to watch because we all tend to believe that a slight of hand or a giimicked deck is involved, so to avoid suck thinking I wouldn't use it, not even the Invisible Deck (which is becoming more popular than 'Lost' for laymen).
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Hold on, Sfarad.
Haven't you gone from saying, "very useful" to shunning the use of plasying cards in the space of a few hours? That seems odd to me. I would never use a deck of cards in a book test. Urgh.
Hello.
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
It depends on the context you give it. If you make it about the cards, it will be perceived so.

What have cards got to do with book tests???? Nothing.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi fagani,

You check out Barrie Richardson's "Theatre Of The Mind" if you get a chance. I use his Any Card At Any Number Effect regularly.

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Stephen Long Of course it is very useful for a mentalist, I'm talking though about a SHOW! In a show I would never use them because I think there are plenty of ideas and effects that don't require playing cards. It is very useful for demonstrations outside of one's show.
Thanks for the correction though.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Harry Lucas
Check out Anneman's book and then look at his book test and see if you get my point, it's a very strong routine but I use an other book test.
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
Annemann - Practical Mental Magic *

it is called Between The Lines.
Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
554 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
Thanks a lot to all the magic friends. You are very kind and this is a Great Forum. My question arised exactly after the lecture of the "any card at any number effect" in Barrie Richardson Book (thank you Jamie)
I understand that it is time to take again from my shelf the wonderful "a stack to remember" and try to learn again the Aronson stack ( I usually practice the OsterlindBreakthrough)
Thanks again/Fabio