The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Going Pro! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
My point is that you haven't shared the full picture of your choice to "go pro". In your case, your wife helps to financially shoulder the burdens that result from your decision to quit a well-paying job to follow your dream to be a full time performer.

I'm not putting judgements upon your decision. I think it's wonderful to have a supportive spouse. I just think that you might explain the entire picture, so people have a clear idea of how you are managing to pay the bills. It's not just from performing, and it may take some time before the happens.

People are considering following your lead to quit their jobs and become performers, based upon the picture you paint. If they have supportive wives too, that's great. But I think it's irresponsible not to share the entire picture honestly. It might hurt your ego a little to admit it, but it's the truth.

- entity
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Entity...

It hurts nothing to admit it...

I will say this...

My wife ( bless her heart ) is very supportive...

and her job pays out mortgage...thats it.

And soon she will be on maternity leave...

J
xxx
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Congratulations! I'm very happy for you and for your wife.

I hope that everything goes well and that your family is healthy and happy.

- entity
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Thank you Entity...

And please -- I don't want anyone to think I was trying to "fluff" things up by not revealing that my wife works.

She does work, and as stated above does help out...

The heart of this thread in my opinion lies in "making it work" sorry if that is an immature POV. I consider myself a proffesional, so too do those around me, so too do my customers. I don't need validation from anyone but those who DO pay my bills.

I encourage everyone to try their hand at doing what they love in order to pay for the things they need...

J
xxx
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
It's not about outside validation. It's about being honest, ESPECIALLY with yourself.

Another thing to consider for those reading is that Jay and I both live in Canada, where we have socialized medicine. We don't have to pay for health insurance or coverage, and our health needs and those of our families are nicely taken care of.

In countries like the U.S., health insurance costs for individuals, their spouses and their families are sometimes covered by an employer, but when you are a self-employed performer, you carry that responsibility yourself.

It's wonderful to follow your dreams, but I am merely suggesting that people do it responsibly, especially if they have wives and children to think about.

- entity
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 17:39, entity wrote:
It's not about outside validation. It's about being honest, ESPECIALLY with yourself.

Another thing to consider for those reading is that Jay and I both live in Canada, where we have socialized medicine. We don't have to pay for health insurance or coverage, and our health needs and those of our families are nicely taken care of.

In countries like the U.S., health insurance costs for individuals, their spouses and their families are sometimes covered by an employer, but when you are a self-employed performer, you carry that responsibility yourself.

It's wonderful to follow your dreams, but I am merely suggesting that people do it responsibly, especially if they have wives and children to think about.

- entity

Great points -- and I do agree...

If you decide to go pro -- be smart about it.

Let me say a word about my wife...

You know the saying " behind every great man -- there is a great woman". Sums it up. If it was not for her support and belief in EVERYTHING that I do with regards to my proffesional career -- it would not be possible.

She really is the backbone of the business and my performances. Make sure that your families are 100% comfortable with your choices and where you decide to take your career. As I believe I said above -- this isn't for everyone...

J
xxx
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Here's people you should listen to when considering going pro;

Your partner in live
Your financial advisor/bank manager
Your dr
Your friends and family
Your senior successful contemporaries

I say respectfully, I don't think the best advice comes from those who are in the experimental, fledgling, or very early stages of full time performance. Interesting to read, no doubt, and superficially perhaps quite inspiring.

Contact senior successful contemporaries who are open, honest, willing, and accessible.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
By the way that's not intended as a slight or insult or a devaluation that's been written before in this thread. Just an opinion, like the others.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 17:53, auktionman007 wrote:
Contact senior successful contemporaries who are open, honest, willing, and accessible.

Could not agree more. My post is a reflection of the advice I have recieved, and what I have experienced...

J
xxx
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Slightly off topic, but entity mentioned socialized health care - I just watched the dvd Sicko - you poor americans! I think it's a disgrace that 50 million of mofd of you struggle or just don't have health care...

sorry - had to be said...

I'm quite happy being at the level of performing that I am right now - one or two small gigs a week, and my other job looks after and pays for family stuff...the mentalism pays for my books, research and savings...

for those working pros bothering to read this thread though, does going fulltime make you a little jaded towards the whole scene? and who works with others to develop their show(s)?
I've asked to be banned
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Look for someone with at least ten years experience, I'd say. They will have experienced economic and social shifts, tried most of the markets, wasted a ton of money on every concievable advertising strategy and new fangled effect.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Auktionman: Agreed. Just felt it was time to bring some added reality to this thread, from someone who's made his living in this trade for about 35 years.

And yes, I'm married and my wife works full time (because she wants to, not because she has to). I paid off our mortgage a number of years ago. We have no children, as my wife says that one juvenile in the house is plenty.

- entity
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Also realize that the "old pros" have old ideas...

I have had many old locals tell me that something wouldnt work, or that their was no budget/money there etc...

Only to try it, and MAKE it work.

Some of my biggest clients are ones I was told didn't have $$$...

be wary of that.

J
xxx
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
So, why is it you keep coming back to this "Old Pro" for advice, if it's not worth anything?

Very disrespectful post, Jeff.

- entity
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 18:11, Jay Are wrote:
I have had many old locals tell me that something wouldnt work, or that their was no budget/money there etc...

Emphasis on Local Tom...

Did not mean you in any way shape or form.

For those of you who do not know -- Entity is some one who has givn me a ton of advice and guidance in this field...

I owe much of what I am and know to him...

J
xxx
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Quote:

I can't help but consider that offensive and arrogant. Those that you have referred to, that have been so giving of their time and their 'old' (interpret - flawed) ideas; if they were to read what you wrote, do you think they would ever offer you any advice or time in the future?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate (read- mature) to say that you have explored the marketplace and are hitting new clients that no one else has managed to do in the past? And that it's really motivated you and should motivate others to persue such leads?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 18:19, auktionman007 wrote:
Quote:

I can't help but consider that offensive and arrogant. Those that you have referred to, that have been so giving of their time and their 'old' (interpret - flawed) ideas; if they were to read what you wrote, do you think they would ever offer you any advice or time in the future?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate (read- mature) to say that you have explored the marketplace and are hitting new clients that no one else has managed to do in the past? And that it's really motivated you and should motivate others to persue such leads?

perhaps I did choose the wrong words...

my apologies...

I think they would understand if they read this -- in fact I am sure many of them will...

J
xxx
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Only Perhaps?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Fun thread, about a fun topic...

I appologize if I offended anyone...

let's keep it lite shall we?

J
xxx
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I would like to thank entity and auktionman007
You both have said what I was trying to politely say on the first page of this thread.
Don’t be offended by the new guys calling us old pros, and thinking our ways are long to be forgotten it happens in just about everyone I have mentored, they soon forget their roots. The ego grows and they feel they know more than the teacher, it happens trust me.

I know Jay did not mean it the way it sounded but truly everything spoken here has been said time and time again to new guys coming up in this industry.
And again I find myself saying, there is nothing wrong with being a part time pro if paying the bills and feeding the family is not cutting it performing then don’t quite your day job. I guess now I need to add, or if you have a wife willing to do all the above till you get your feet off the ground. Jay one year it nothing you need a few hard knocks and a few more to be considered a full time worker in my books. But I don’t think of you as any less of a pro!

Parmenion
I don’t get your argument at all, this thread is not about props or mental magic verses mentalism. I will not even entertain debating the above with you.

Lets get back to what Max realy wanted this to be about, stories of going pro!

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com