The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Derek Acorah in USA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
I do.

To confirm - Rorty is a genius (but too concerned with politics - rather than just livng as the grand old existentialists - Sartre - were), Dilts is a swine & a s***, Bandler is a loveable nutter with some good stuff to say, & I'm not remotely interested in what any other NLPer has to say other than him. Some of my oldest friends are "NLPers" & frankly it's like talking to a salesman desperately trying to sell me a fiat punto.

I truly believe - as far as NLP goes - listen to Bandler & ignore the rest ...
but it depends on your needs. Ignore me - there are plenty on here that know more than me.

give me that hob-nob, back to Acorah! ...
Sparrow in a barrow.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2005-09-28 17:38, bobser wrote:
Sorry John, you seem lke a nice guy. And that's a great picture by the way (love your kid). But we don't wanna give you too much info. Wait, take it easy. We've still to see a Dutchman lifting the world cup.

Bobser
(Pasq sends his love)

I have no idea what any of that meant. But I googled Acorah and got the info I was looking for.
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
I have been speaking to James Randi and I understand Acorah will soon be in his spotlight also Robyn Welch (see seperate thread psychic surgery).
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
On a more serious note Ian...
The problem with what Randi does, with 'assumed' pseudo psychics, is that it's simply been hammered to death.
Randi probably doesn't always 'know' exactly what method 'a' particular 'con-man' might be doing but rather postulates his offering of how the same effect might be replicated.
If this is the case (and I believe it to be so) then it could be argued that all Randi is really doing is using such an opportunity to express 'his own' skills.
I don't have a problem with this as it's a very good marketing ploy, it's just that it's beginning to make us yawn ever so slightly. And again, even if successful, simply tells us what we already know, that there's lots of con-men out there.

Now then, what I'm suggesting is that it's a far more interesting game when we are challenged with proving a positive. Even if the investigator is actually a cynic, it's just a far more interesting game and possess's far more marketing value. At worst it's called -'having fun' and at best... who knows? Many in here admit that they treated their own investigation as merely that, a game, yet received a few shocks and surprises along the way.
And let's be honest, although we might not know the exact methods for each one of, say, Derren Brown's effects, there exists in here a small army of people who could, if ever commissioned, present an exposure TV programme on such a person and effects. We don't because 'he is a member of the same army' and anyway, we simply do not do that.
Now I know exposing fake psychics is a different kettle of fish, all I'm saying is... it's just too easy to do. Randi, Mandi, Candi,... anyone can make anyone else look bad. That doesn't take any special talent in any way whatsoever.

Bobser.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
In the Daily Mirror this week ( not the greatest newspaper it must be said ), there was a so called expose on Derek A.

OK, so the newspaper's a rag, but he still didn't exactly come out of it smelling of roses !

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
These are the Daily Mirror stories Piers is referring to. Intersting though not surprizing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/......age.html

Bobser's private reading might be another matter though and we should at least give him credit for being better informed than average when it comes to this sort of thing.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
But what does surprise me is that the attacked to not attack.

Jack

H.O.A_X
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2005-09-30 05:20, bobser wrote:
On a more serious note Ian...
The problem with what Randi does, with 'assumed' pseudo psychics, is that it's simply been hammered to death.
Randi probably doesn't always 'know' exactly what method 'a' particular 'con-man' might be doing but rather postulates his offering of how the same effect might be replicated.
If this is the case (and I believe it to be so) then it could be argued that all Randi is really doing is using such an opportunity to express 'his own' skills.
I don't have a problem with this as it's a very good marketing ploy, it's just that it's beginning to make us yawn ever so slightly. And again, even if successful, simply tells us what we already know, that there's lots of con-men out there.

Now then, what I'm suggesting is that it's a far more interesting game when we are challenged with proving a positive. Even if the investigator is actually a cynic, it's just a far more interesting game and possess's far more marketing value. At worst it's called -'having fun' and at best... who knows? Many in here admit that they treated their own investigation as merely that, a game, yet received a few shocks and surprises along the way.
And let's be honest, although we might not know the exact methods for each one of, say, Derren Brown's effects, there exists in here a small army of people who could, if ever commissioned, present an exposure TV programme on such a person and effects. We don't because 'he is a member of the same army' and anyway, we simply do not do that.
Now I know exposing fake psychics is a different kettle of fish, all I'm saying is... it's just too easy to do. Randi, Mandi, Candi,... anyone can make anyone else look bad. That doesn't take any special talent in any way whatsoever.

Bobser.

Thank you Bobser!! excellent post.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
You're welcome James.
By the way I've always wanted to visit Taiwan. Do you think you could get me any gigs there?

Bobser.
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
Quote:
On 2005-10-30 17:39, Xiqual wrote:
Quote:

Bobser.

Thank you Bobser!! excellent post.
James

Yes, quite right. I am not a soldier myself in this army (although I'm one hell of a second-rate hobbyist), but do we all remember the TV series of the masked magician?? -Revealing methods to perform some of David Blaine's most elusive effects. I think I'm one of about 4 Brits that likes Blaine & what a dissappointing programme, from the magician's POV. Pasq.
Sparrow in a barrow.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2005-10-30 18:03, bobser wrote:
You're welcome James.
By the way I've always wanted to visit Taiwan. Do you think you could get me any gigs there?

Bobser.

Sure Bobser! Bring your pipes and come play. Taiwanese love folk music <lol>
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
James, how did you know I was a plumber?

Bobser
Zane13
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Zane13
If you wanna see a funny Acorah goof,check out
http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-02/021006busted.html
CarlD
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of CarlD
He's a complete charlatan. And 'Most Haunted' too..don't get me started...Smile

CarlD
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
It’s embarrassing to watch.
Some will take him seriously, many don’t.
More power to his ‘haunted’ elbow ?
Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Funniest Thing on Tv... Harry Hills TV Burp and his **** take out of Derek Acorah The UKs greatest medium ahemmmm.....
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Just watched the TV clip of Acorah doing hot reading its hilarious, how anyone can believe this fraud is genuine is beyond me, just shows how gullible certain people are I think.Smile Hi bob how are you mate, fixed any drains recently???
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Ok Ian, fair nuff, I'm going off him. But Watership Down, that's real... right?
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
I think so.....Smile Does God exist ???
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Just had a peep at your new website Ian. keeeeerist but you're putting on weight!!!!!!
Everything ok at home?